PhD/PsyD RANT: Arguing with therapists with no research background is like screaming at the ocean and begging the waves to subside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Come on, don't equate positive punishment with negative reinforcement.
Actually, ABA was accurate in saying that they are the expert in this subject matter. šŸ˜ Negative punishment is not the same as negative reinforcement. The distinction is that punishment, whether positive or negative is designed to decrease behavior; whereas, reinforcement, whether negative or positive, is designed to increase a behavior. Since I taught Psych 101 for a few years, I like to be pedantic on this stuff. ā˜ŗļø

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I am talking about the administration of aversive stimuli to reduce the frequency/rate/duration and intensity of behaviors that are not responsive to all the myriad of other interventions that have been faithfully and competently implemented (e.g., differential reinforcement, replacing with more acceptable behaviors, time out, etc.) before trying the heavy hitting antipsychotics as I view them as more detrimental than the negatives of punishment. I say that not a medication phobe (i'm the opposite) - but we're having an epidemic of aggressive young people with gynecomastia, hyperlipidemia, and diabetes because of the over-reliance on these drugs. I'm not saying we jump straight to administering electric shocks, but shocks, a pop with la chancla, chore cards, compliance training, hand over hand, etc., may have their place once all else has failed. Should be a last resort sorta thing. In 20 years there is going to a ton of early death in drugged up developmentally disordered individuals who lived a pretty unenriched life because of their behavior that maybe a short course of aversive could have avoided.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am talking about the administration of aversive stimuli to reduce the frequency/rate/duration and intensity of behaviors that are not responsive to all the myriad of other interventions that have been faithfully and competently implemented (e.g., differential reinforcement, replacing with more acceptable behaviors, time out, etc.) before trying the heavy hitting antipsychotics as I view them as more detrimental than the negatives of punishment. I say that not a medication phobe (i'm the opposite) - but we're having an epidemic of aggressive young people with gynecomastia, hyperlipidemia, and diabetes because of the over-reliance on these drugs. I'm not saying we jump straight to administering electric shocks, but shocks, a pop with la chancla, chore cards, compliance training, hand over hand, etc., may have their place once all else has failed. Should be a last resort sorta thing. In 20 years there is going to a ton of early death in drugged up developmentally disordered individuals who lived a pretty unenriched life because of their behavior that maybe a short course of aversive could have avoided.
When I was working in MR/DD we were also seeing a lot of apparent 't.a.r.d.i.v.e. akathisia'--which was more a 'theoretical'/hypothesized entity at that point which, I think, has since made its way into the DSM-5.

I had to spell out t-a-r-d-i-v-e with awkward punctuation because, apparently, the first four letters spell out a 'bad' word that would be harmful for anyone to be allowed to read without it being auto-censored by asterisks, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, ABA was accurate in saying that they are the expert in this subject matter. šŸ˜ Negative punishment is not the same as negative reinforcement. The distinction is that punishment, whether positive or negative is designed to decrease behavior; whereas, reinforcement, whether negative or positive, is designed to increase a behavior. Since I taught Psych 101 for a few years, I like to be pedantic on this stuff. ā˜ŗļø
I'm pretty sure they were attempting a joke. If not, PsyDr is dead to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
One of the "side effects" of punishment is that it can be hugely negatively reinforcing to the person who delivers the punisher. As a result, it often gets informally applied to other behaviors with following the appropriate steps (both clinically and regulatory wise). I don't want to publicaly get into my direct history with JRC here (IM me if you are interested and I'll provide more details if I think you are a reasonable person asking for purely information seeking purposes). I would ask you all, though, is it appropriate or effective to place a bowl of food on the table in front of a child with Prader-Willi and deliver shock contingent upon food-approach behavior? What about contingent shock for delusional statements made by an individual clearly in a psychotic episode? How about contingent shock for OCD related behaviors? What about for cursing? Maybe you could make an argument for retina detaching SIB, but how about this other stuff?

Reactions: 4 users
One of the "side effects" of punishment is that it can be hugely negatively reinforcing to the person who delivers the punisher. As a result, it often gets informally applied to other behaviors with following the appropriate steps (both clinically and regulatory wise). I don't want to publicaly get into my direct history with JRC here (IM me if you are interested and I'll provide more details if I think you are a reasonable person asking for purely information seeking purposes). I would ask you all, though, is it appropriate or effective to place a bowl of food on the table in front of a child with Prader-Willi and deliver shock contingent upon food-approach behavior? What about contingent shock for delusional statements made by an individual clearly in a psychotic episode? How about contingent shock for OCD related behaviors? What about for cursing? Maybe you could make an argument for retina detaching SIB, but how about this other stuff?
You make very good points--concerning which I believe we would all be in agreement. I would think that punishment (of any sort) should only be seriously considered in situations where: (a) all other more humane alternatives have been exhausted; (b) the behaviour is resulting in serious/permanent tissue damage; and (c) the approval/implementation of the plan enjoys rigorous oversight by a qualified, multidisciplinary team of professionals including, at minimum, at least one licensed doctoral level psychologist who is also board certified in behavior analysis (these days).

Reactions: 1 user
You make very good points--concerning which I believe we would all be in agreement. I would think that punishment (of any sort) should only be seriously considered in situations where: (a) all other more humane alternatives have been exhausted; (b) the behaviour is resulting in serious/permanent tissue damage; and (c) the approval/implementation of the plan enjoys rigorous oversight by qualified teams of professionals including, at minimum, at least one licensed doctoral level psychologist who is also board certifies in behavior analysis (these days).
The use of contingent skin shock actually also requires a hearing with a judge, with the decision to approve based on the standard of "substituted judgement"- i.e., "would a competent person in the same situation consent to this procedure." This is similar to the process for getting approval to administer anti-psychotic medication to a legally non-competent adult. Sounds like a good safeguard, but the examples I cited above were approved by the court. I recently (within the last year) had a long interaction with the JRC clinical director and asked him if there was ever a case that was denied by the court, and he indicated that he did not know of any from his experience at the program.

The use of contingent skin shock actually also requires a hearing with a judge, with the decision to approve based on the standard of "substituted judgement"- i.e., "would a competent person in the same situation consent to this procedure." This is similar to the process for getting approval to administer anti-psychotic medication to a legally non-competent adult.
Wait...these days a hearing with a judge is required prior to an intellectually disabled person being prescribed an antipsychotic medication? I'm really surprised that client's rights have advanced so much in this area. Does this only apply in certain jurisdictions? Just geniunely curious.

Last edited:
Wait...these days a hearing with a judge is required prior to an intellectually disabled person being prescribed an antipsychotic medication? I'm really surprised that client's rights have advanced so much in this area. Does this only apply in certain jurisdictions? Just geniunely curious.
Yep. It's a whole thing, what with people having rights and all.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep. It's a whole thing, what with people having rights and all.
I just wasn't aware that this was a requirement. At least as of about 10 years ago (and in at least some jurisdictions) all that was required was approval by a 'behavior intervention committee' and a 'human rights committee' of a facility. Approval had to be renewed annually and upon any addition of new 'restricted' elements. So, is the approval to use antipsychotics in a patient's care a 'one-time' deal or do they have to go before a judge again annually and present their case?

Edit: and if the judicial hearing always or almost always is conducted as a mere, pro forma rubber-stamped approval of all requests without a critical analysis of the merits of the request then, arguably, a well-constituted behavior intervention committee and human rights officer may provide, in practice, superior protection of human rights.

Last edited:
This is an excellent pointā€”behavioral contingencies apply to all parties, not just the clients/patients, and if we forget that, weā€™re not looking at the whole picture and making informed analyses.

Members don't see this ad :)
The use of contingent skin shock actually also requires a hearing with a judge, with the decision to approve based on the standard of "substituted judgement"- i.e., "would a competent person in the same situation consent to this procedure." This is similar to the process for getting approval to administer anti-psychotic medication to a legally non-competent adult. Sounds like a good safeguard, but the examples I cited above were approved by the court. I recently (within the last year) had a long interaction with the JRC clinical director and asked him if there was ever a case that was denied by the court, and he indicated that he did not know of any from his experience at the program.
Agreed - great point.

I fear I may have been the cause of this thread taking a turn toward the whole punishment topic, which is a bit of a detour and worthy of at least it's own thread (I have a full, 4 hour lecture on the topic in my basic ABA grad class, with probably twice that in lecture time devoted to the topic during the Ethics course). Sorry for the derail, but I do want to address some points brough up in some of the posts above:

-Yes- punishment happens. As such, and professional tasked with assisting others in reducing the frequency of a human's behavior needs to be skilled in it's application and knowledgeable of ethical and regulatory guidelines.

-If you are going to use or suggest that others use punishment (defined as the contingent addition or removal of stimulus which results in a reduction in the future probably of the behavior it is contingent upon), you should be able to, without much thought:
  • list the potential negative side effects (e.g., behavioral contrast) of both positive-punishment and negative-punishment procedures (and if you don't know the differenc between positive and negative punishment, don't use punishment professionally unitl you do)
  • identify, through an empirically supported FBA procedure, the function(s) of the target behavior
  • Identify and describe potential non-punishment stratregies for addressing behaviors with that function, including those related to manipulation of antecedent variables (SDs, AOs/EOs) as well as consequence based strategies
  • describe the difference in behavior change between punishment and applicable non-punishment strategies relative to things like immediacy of effect, rate of durability of effect (including in the absense of the contingency)
  • identify and program behavioral data collection procedures that allow for rapid identification of changes in behaviors (including those other than the behavior targeted for decrease) that my be sign that the punishement procedure is not effective or not being implemented consistently)
  • and- I beg you- be able to have a conversation about punishment without incorrectly using the term "negative reinforcment
Basically, if you don't know what you are doing, don't f**k with punishment. I do know what I'm doing, and I avoid it all costs- not out of some moral/ethical or regulatory reasoning (though those do exists), but for clinical reasons. For a myriad of reasons, it's simply not the best tool we have in our behavioral box. It is surely not something I would ask a non-trained and not-closely-supervised therapist/teacher/caregiver to do. I say that based on the empirical evidence (see how i sort of brought this back around to the OP?)

Have I ever told you that you're my behaviorism hero? I like to think that I am pretty good at behaviorism (I even have a published article on a fancy behaviorism topic in a behaviorism journal) but you put me to shame!

Have I ever told you that you're my behaviorism hero? I like to think that I am pretty good at behaviorism (I even have a published article on a fancy behaviorism topic in a behaviorism journal) but you put me to shame!
I am merely the results of my training and experience. It's easy to sound smart about things you do all the time! plus there is some selection bias, in in that I try to avoid posting on topics that I'm not very good with

This is an excellent pointā€”behavioral contingencies apply to all parties, not just the clients/patients, and if we forget that, weā€™re not looking at the whole picture and making informed analyses.
Exactly- in practice (at least with EIBI with young children diagnosed with ASD), most of our behavioral intervention are being directly implemented, at best, by undergrad educated clinicians with decent training in the application of ABA techniques. Often we rely on caregivers and others not specificallyh trained in ABA to do the dirty work.

Exactly- in practice (at least with EIBI with young children diagnosed with ASD), most of our behavioral intervention are being directly implemented, at best, by undergrad educated clinicians with decent training in the application of ABA techniques. Often we rely on caregivers and others not specificallyh trained in ABA to do the dirty work.
And all of those people operate under their own contingencies. For example, giving a screaming toddler a toy to get them to be quiet may be positively reinforcing the toddlerā€™s tantrum but itā€™s also providing a lot of negative reinforcement to the caregiver. If we donā€™t address those contingencies as well, our interventions arenā€™t going to be as effective.

I'm pretty sure they were attempting a joke. If not, PsyDr is dead to me.
I'm alive on the outside....

In full disclosure, I didn't read the whole thing and was trying to bait you into a VERY bad joke.
Actually, ABA was accurate in saying that they are the expert in this subject matter.
Clearly, I dropped out of a div6 program for a reason.

And all of those people operate under their own contingencies. For example, giving a screaming toddler a toy to get them to be quiet may be positively reinforcing the toddlerā€™s tantrum but itā€™s also providing a lot of negative reinforcement to the caregiver. If we donā€™t address those contingencies as well, our interventions arenā€™t going to be as effective.
Yes! And it's not just "addressing" those contingencies, but all respecting the necesity of them without be judgmental. It's one thing to point out that giving the screaming toddler the toy may reinforce the screaming and be counterproductive to our functional communication training, DRA, DRO, etc. It's much more complicated to create a more nuanced intervention that accounts for the fact that, sometimes, mom just needs to do whatever it takes to get that todddler to stop crying (or not even cry to begin with), and this all has to be addressed first and foremost at the MO level. All too often, clinicians do the first part- the pointing out the inadvertent reinforcment- without being caring or kind enough (and, let's face it, skilled enough) to recognize the need of the mom to not only be the contingency manager for the toddler in question, but also the head chef, waiter, and dishwasher for the rest of the family, doing so between shifts as CNA, all while studying to get their nursing degree. IMHO, only a real jerk says "yeah, but if you don't stop giving them the toy when they scream then they won't stop screaming" and leaves it at that. That only leads to a plan that CAN'T be followed (not "won't" be followed, as if the mom had a choice in the matter) and blaming the mother for "lack of follow-through" or some such nonsense.

Hint, Hint for those of you playing armchair behavior analyst at home- first question you should ask is "why can't he have free access to that toy, either all the time or- especially- at times when you need to be doing other stuff and can't spend more time teaching him how to ask for it without screaming." You'd be suprised how often you don't get a reall good answer to this. Also, it doesn't hurt to ask the toddler why they scream like that at mommy. Worst case scenario they don't give you an answer and you've lost the 7.346732 seconds it took to ask the question. In my book, toddlerhood (~2+ year old) is plenty old enough to be introducing the concept of agency over one's own behavior and collaboration with others. I rarely (maybe once every 100 or so clients) get any answere, let alone one that is related to the question, but I still ask.

BTW- I know you know all of this stuff, @futureapppsy2. It's just a topic that is rather dear to me (and, as @cara susanna pointed out) makes me seem like I know what I am doing when I talk about it.

Last edited:
I just wasn't aware that this was a requirement. At least as of about 10 years ago (and in at least some jurisdictions) all that was required was approval by a 'behavior intervention committee' and a 'human rights committee' of a facility. Approval had to be renewed annually and upon any addition of new 'restricted' elements. So, is the approval to use antipsychotics in a patient's care a 'one-time' deal or do they have to go before a judge again annually and present their case?

Edit: and if the judicial hearing always or almost always is conducted as a mere, pro forma rubber-stamped approval of all requests without a critical analysis of the merits of the request then, arguably, a well-constituted behavior intervention committee and human rights officer may provide, in practice, superior protection of human rights.
The court appoints the "Roger's Monitor" (in my experience, often an attorney or some type of professional advocate) who signs off on the anti-psychotic treatment plan(s). The need for a monitor is supposed to be reviewed by the court at least annually.

In regard to behavioral intervention and human rights committees, it's just too darn easy for unscrupulous folks to stack those things with "rubber stampers".

Yes! And it's not just "addressing" those contingencies, but all respecting the necesity of them without be judgmental. It's one thing to point out that giving the screaming toddler the toy may reinforce the screaming and be counterproductive to our functional communication training, DRA, DRO, etc. It's much more complicated to create a more nuanced intervention that accounts for the fact that, sometimes, mom just needs to do whatever it takes to get that todddler to stop crying (or not even cry to begin with), and this all has to be addressed first and foremost at the MO level. All too often, clinicians do the first part- the pointing out the inadvertent reinforcment- without being caring or kind enough (and, let's face it, skilled enough) to recognize the need of the mom to not only be the contingency manager for the toddler in question, but also the head chef, waiter, and dishwasher for the rest of the family, doing so between shifts as CNA, all while studying to get their nursing degree. IMHO, only a real jerk says "yeah, but if you don't stop giving them the toy when they scream then they won't stop screaming" and leaves it at that. That only leads to a plan that CAN'T be followed (not "won't" be followed, as if the mom had a choice in the matter) and blaming the mother for "lack of follow-through" or some such nonsense.

Hint, Hint for those of you playing armchair behavior analyst at home- first question you should ask is "why can't he have free access to that toy, either all the time or- especially- at times when you need to be doing other stuff and can't spend more time teaching him how to ask for it without screaming." You'd be suprised how often you don't get a reall good answer to this. Also, it doesn't hurt to ask the toddler why they scream like that at mommy. Worst case scenario they don't give you an answer and you've lost the 7.346732 seconds it took to ask the question. In my book, toddlerhood (~2+ year old) is plenty old enough to be introducing the concept of agency over one's own behavior and collaboration with others. I rarely (maybe once every 100 or so clients) get any answere, let alone one that is related to the question, but I still ask.

BTW- I know you know all of this stuff, @futureapppsy2 sy2. It's just a topic that is rather dear to me (and, as @cara susanna susana pointed out) makes me seem like I know what I am doing when I talk aobut it.
Honestly I think a lot of people in the fieldā€”especially in ABAā€”not understanding this is why ABA has a horrid reputation in the autistic community, because so often our treatment goals have looked like ā€œthey need to be less noticeably autistic/disabled, because autistic/disabled people make me uncomfortable/are different/are lesserā€rather than looking at ā€œwhat can be changed to help this person be happier and healthier,ā€ even though our science says that that should always be our focus. We get intersecting ableism and ABA, and it makes ABA look awful (kind of like the intersecting ableism and homophobia with Lovaas and his gender conformity work) and also limits our meaningful positive outcomes.

Honestly I think a lot of people in the fieldā€”especially in ABAā€”not understanding this is why ABA has a horrid reputation in the autistic community, because so often our treatment goals have looked like ā€œthey need to be less noticeably autistic/disabled, because autistic/disabled people make me uncomfortable/are different/are lesserā€rather than looking at ā€œwhat can be changed to help this person be happier and healthier,ā€ even though our science says that that should always be our focus. We get intersecting ableism and ABA, and it makes ABA look awful (kind of like the intersecting ableism and homophobia with Lovaas and his gender conformity work) and also limits our meaningful positive outcomes.
Exactly. ABA folks can be a bit myopic in their approach. There is also a weird deference given to some of the seminal works (e.g. Lovaas and his whole "indistinguishable from typical peers" emphasis. I am certainly guilty of some of this in the past (and probably the present). I have, however, learned over the years (in part from my interactions with and exposure to you and your research- big thanks! ) to challenge my own assumptions and just plain assume that I'm likely to- if unchecked- engage in one of the "isms." To counteract this, I've learned that is crucial to seek out multiple views and perspectives, and that incorporating this into my clinical decision making does mot go against my adherence to empiricism. One big effect is that I now clearly articulate that my goals in working with young children with ASD is not to make them "indistinguishable" from "typicals," but to arm them with the tools to do so in the future if they so choose, as well as to communicate to others as best they can why they may choose not do so.

The court appoints the "Roger's Monitor" (in my experience, often an attorney or some type of professional advocate) who signs off on the anti-psychotic treatment plan(s). The need for a monitor is supposed to be reviewed by the court at least annually.

In regard to behavioral intervention and human rights committees, it's just too darn easy for unscrupulous folks to stack those things with "rubber stampers".
Our BIC had the opposite reputation, lol. Every plan had to be rooted in the behavioral literature complete with explicitly cited references. And data collection, graphing, and interpretation of graphs over time and plan revision were mandatory. It had a reputation of being a 'pain' to present / pass cases but, in reality, if the team were presenting a logically coherent plan rooted in the literature, were collecting data to track progress and were making modifications and testing clinical hypotheses over time, they were passed.

Last edited:
I maintain, as I always have, that ABA is too complex and nuanced of a topic for the internet to handle.

• Haha
I made a Reddit comment with some very valid criticism of EMDR and got accused of spreading misinformation :rolleyes: Guess I should have listened to my own advice upthread.

Reactions: 3 users
I made a Reddit comment with some very valid criticism of EMDR and got accused of spreading misinformation :rolleyes: Guess I should have listened to my own advice upthread.

This on the psychotherapy sub? They love EMDR up in there. I criticized EMDR on my listserv with citations and was chastised for not being open to others' opinions, with people going all in about therapy being an "art" and it doesn't matter if the science is there.

This on the psychotherapy sub? They love EMDR up in there. I criticized EMDR on my listserv with citations and was chastised for not being open to others' opinions, with people going all in about therapy being an "art" and it doesn't matter if the science is there.

Nope, unrelated sub but it was someone who claimed to be in our field.

Reddit is pretty terrible - I got accused of being a pedo because I criticized recovered memories. WIth citations.

Still people out there who are big proponents of the 70's recovered memory craze? Well, I guess that tracks with the MAGA/QAnon crowd, they all believe in satanic cannibal pedo cults.

Reddit is pretty terrible - I got accused of being a pedo because I criticized recovered memories. WIth citations.

The lay public has no truck with citations.

They will just present you their own 'alternative facts' which have the obvious advantage of not being propaganda from the Great Biomedical-Industrial Conspiracy Matrix.

"Let's normalize mediocrity."

By definition, mediocrity is LITEARLLY the norm.

True, but theoretically, doctoral level professionals should be above the norm, on average, in certain capacities. Unless we're talking about patient population, and then yeah they should be mediocre.

"If you have ever felt at all like an outsider or awkward, you have autism"

"If you shiver during a pee, you have tourettes."

This thread is awesome. I now know I have Autism and Tourettes. I will be filing for work accommodations forthwith.

I also have that condition where my boss wants me to do stuff and I don't want to. Does anyone know what that is called?

• Haha
This thread is awesome. I now know I have Autism and Tourettes. I will be filing for work accommodations forthwith.

I also have that condition where my boss wants me to do stuff and I don't want to. Does anyone know what that is called?
TRAUMA

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

VA Employment Not Otherwise Specified.

I think it's a V-code.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Gawd - this just reminds me of the fact my B.A. is in Sociology; where they teach you that basically the major sources of oppression come from white, Christian, heterosexual, males. As a baby gay, I pretty much latched onto that - "it spoke to me." I believed myself to be a victim in a system stacked against me and I must do anything I could to push back.

shade smile GIF by Robert E Blackmon