PhD/PsyD RANT: Arguing with therapists with no research background is like screaming at the ocean and begging the waves to subside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gawd - this just reminds me of the fact my B.A. is in Sociology; where they teach you that basically the major sources of oppression come from white, Christian, heterosexual, males. As a baby gay, I pretty much latched onto that - "it spoke to me." I believed myself to be a victim in a system stacked against me and I must do anything I could to push back.

shade smile GIF by Robert E Blackmon
To be fair...there are actual data that supports what you wrote.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Gawd - this just reminds me of the fact my B.A. is in Sociology; where they teach you that basically the major sources of oppression come from white, Christian, heterosexual, males. As a baby gay, I pretty much latched onto that - "it spoke to me." I believed myself to be a victim in a system stacked against me and I must do anything I could to push back.

shade smile GIF by Robert E Blackmon
dick cheney film GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To be fair...there are actual data that supports what you wrote.
Yeah, the data supporting the existence of systemic and interpersonal ableism, racism, heterosexism, sexism, cissexism, etc., is pretty clear. The data supporting 100% of people's ex's having a PD or autism having a base rate of 75%, not so much.

And personally, I did the opposite of @ohiopsychdoc -- I was so convinced that ableism couldn't possibly be in my field that I was convinced that I must be absolute trash in every way to be deserving of some of what I was experiencing, until a mentor pulled me aside and said "look, all the data from all these sources on all these different areas points to you being far, far better than what you're getting--this is the most obvious example of systemic ableism I could think of, because all the data point to it."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, the data supporting the existence of systemic and interpersonal ableism, racism, heterosexism, sexism, cissexism, etc., is pretty clear. The data supporting 100% of people's ex's having a PD or autism having a base rate of 75%, not so much.

And personally, I did the opposite of @ohiopsychdoc -- I was so convinced that ableism couldn't possibly be in my field that I was convinced that I must be absolute trash in every way to be deserving of some of what I was experiencing, until a mentor pulled me aside and said "look, all the data from all these sources on all these different areas points to you being far, far better than what you're getting--this is the most obvious example of systemic ableism I could think of, because all the data point to it."

I decided to take a more moderate or middle of the road approach after all was said and done. I think we can see the "data" but have different interpretations of it. That's why I don't jump on that bandwagon like beforehand. Again, as mentioned before in another thread, I am also physically and intellectually disabled, but I opt to take a different view and perspective of my situation. That's just me. When I say that to others, I end up getting labeled as a "self-hating" fill in the blank minority status label.

I decided to take a more moderate or middle of the road approach after all was said and done. I think we can see the "data" but have different interpretations of it. That's why I don't jump on that bandwagon like beforehand. Again, as mentioned before in another thread, I am also physically and intellectually disabled, but I opt to take a different view and perspective of my situation. That's just me. When I say that to others, I end up getting labeled as a "self-hating" fill in the blank minority status label.
I didn’t say anything remotely radical in my post or anything about you (other than that I had a different experience), so I’m legit confused, but this conversation is going to ruin a good thread, so I’m going to drop it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just enjoying the humor and don’t even know where to jump in. 😀
The irony of how we are simultaneously normalizing and pathologizing all behavior is just brilliant.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Oh No Fire GIF

whathaveicomebacktowakemeup

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The irony of how we are simultaneously normalizing and pathologizing all behavior is just brilliant.

Well, once you've made the disorder hip and cool, of course you'd want to spread the cheer. Never mind how invalidating it is for people struggling with the real thing.

... autism having a base rate of 75%, not so much.
Some days, doing what I do, it really feels like this is true. Definitely selection bias in my sample, but I can go months without seeing a kid who I don't give an ASD dx, and I'm pretty conservative in making the diangosis. Too many kiddos and not enough clinicians to go around.

dancing girl spins GIF
Dancing Girl Dance GIF by Sadie

Now it feels like TikTok
I think you might be joking, but in my admittedly brief forays into TikTok, this was all it seemed to be (with the addition of people jumping up and landing wearing different clothes). Am I missing something? Am I that old guy who just doesn't get it? What is the end goal of using TikTok? Is "using" even the correct verb for what you do with TikTok? Why won't these darned kids get off my lawn?

Well, once you've made the disorder hip and cool, of course you'd want to spread the cheer. Never mind how invalidating it is for people struggling with the real thing.

Some days, doing what I do, it really feels like this is true. Definitely selection bias in my sample, but I can go months without seeing a kid who I don't give an ASD dx, and I'm pretty conservative in making the diangosis. Too many kiddos and not enough clinicians to go around.
One of my supervisors in autism assessment clinic recommended that we pay attention in environments with a lot of typically developing kids so we would continue to have a good baseline for what typically v. atypically developing looks like. Very rarely did a child get referred to our clinic without meeting the criteria for something (ASD, language disorder, ODD, PTSD, etc), and he pointed out that over time, it subtly shifts your baseline.

One of my supervisors in autism assessment clinic recommended that we pay attention in environments with a lot of typically developing kids so we would continue to have a good baseline for what typically v. atypically developing looks like. Very rarely did a child get referred to our clinic without meeting the criteria for something (ASD, language disorder, ODD, PTSD, etc), and he pointed out that over time, it subtly shifts your baseline.

As a relatively new parent, I feel like this is also great advice for new parents. The internet is terrible in part because most things of concern are highly subjective, somewhat abstract and fall on a continuum. Even most professionals do a terrible job with messaging around the traditional developmental milestones (crawling, standing, walking, first words) in my experience. The phrasing makes one think they are empirically derived "95% of normally developing children do X by Y age" but I increasingly get the impression that at least the major milestones a pediatrician is likely to focus on are poorly defined, many are near-impossible to assess accurately in young children and really more an "average age of doing a thing with a fairly wide standard deviation" anyways.

Last edited:
I think you might be joking, but in my admittedly brief forays into TikTok, this was all it seemed to be (with the addition of people jumping up and landing wearing different clothes). Am I missing something? Am I that old guy who just doesn't get it? What is the end goal of using TikTok? Is "using" even the correct verb for what you do with TikTok? Why won't these darned kids get off my lawn?

You don't get it because you are an old. I am an old too. It pretty much is this (I think). The end goal of tiktok? Popularity and external validation I assume, with a smidge of advertising thrown in. I mean back in school we all knew who the popular kids were. Now just being popular in school does not seem to be enough.

• Haha
I'm also old, but (mostly) enjoy TikTok. I am very intentional about who I follow. It's a window into a wide range of experiences. I follow hospice nurses, librarians, psychotherapists, and individuals from wildly different backgrounds than mine. I get snapshots into parts of world that I didn't even know existed, which lets me explore new topics in more academic ways later. I also get exposed to all kinds of interesting recipes.

And thirst traps. There are a handful of those too.

This can also happen if you work primarily with older adults who have some degree of cognitive impairment. Always helpful to try to review and reset those "within normal limits" internal heuristics.

Apparently, spreading the Gaylor Swift fandom! I was talking to one of my best friends the other day who doesn't follow Taylor Swift, much less Gaylor discourse, and she independently brought up some big drama that just happened in the fandom without me mentioning it, because she saw it on TikTok. I was a bit shocked!

This is a great point, and an important practice. Given the nature of my work and the lack of diagnostice services in the area, my referral sources are triaging to me the most obviously, significantly symptomatic kiddos. When these clients become the standard, there is a natural tendency to compare all clients against this norm. If i didn't take steps to counteract this (e.g., doing sample evals on kids with no developmental concerns a few times a year; making faces at toddler in grocery stores to see the typical reaction; etc.) I'd run the risk of not giving a diagnosis to kiddos at the milder end of the symptomatology spectrum. Fortunately, the ABA treatment-side of my business is staffed largely by 20-30 somethings who seem to give birth quite often, thus i have an eager supply of practice cases with parents who understand the importance of keeping knowledgeable about non-ASD early development.

To get this thread back on track, I will echo something I think I mentioned in this thread earlier - arguing with folks, whether they be lay people, academics, fellow psychologists, doctors, etc., is a waste of time. State your peace, acknowledge they have their own opinions regardless of how much you might disagree with them, and then move on. I can't think of any situation where debating someone online (e.g., Facebook, LinkedIn, SDN, etc.) really leads to any profound changes, and understandably so....we don't know much about each other, our moral philosophies, etc. We are cherry-picking information and making lavish conclusions without much else to go on, so of course it because frustrating. I like humor for those reasons. :)

Apparently, spreading the Gaylor Swift fandom! I was talking to one of my best friends the other day who doesn't follow Taylor Swift, much less Gaylor discourse, and she independently brought up some big drama that just happened in the fandom without me mentioning it, because she saw it on TikTok. I was a bit shocked!
Instead of catching up on reports, I've spent the past half hour or so educating myself on the Gaylor and Karma "conspiracies." I blame you, @futureapppsy2 (though it is a fun diversion)!

Instead of catching up on reports, I've spent the past half hour or so educating myself on the Gaylor and Karma "conspiracies." I blame you, @futureapppsy2 (though it is a fun diversion)!
Gaylorism is the truest rabbithole to fall down.

It's easy to be old on TikTok. I follow home inspectors who allow us to judge the horrors bad flips alongside them. It's a beautiful experience.

• Haha
I can't embed it, but this TikTok video makes me think of SDN.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I can't embed it, but this TikTok video makes me think of SDN.

He's probably one of my favorite creators on TikTok.
Just gives good, concise information. Also, I love the big ole disclaimer at the end of every video that's just "DO NOT SELF DIAGNOSE based on what you see on TikTok."

He's probably one of my favorite creators on TikTok.
Just gives good, concise information. Also, I love the big ole disclaimer at the end of every video that's just "DO NOT SELF DIAGNOSE based on what you see on TikTok."

I think this guy should be the SDN Psychology... mascot? Spokesman? Something like that.

He is pretty great! He has a lot of stuff on youtube as well.

Well, there are various options within Gaylorism—Kaylor, Swiftgron, Tilly, Toë, Biswift with and without Toe belief, pure Gaylor, etc. It’s a whole world!
Ok- I've done some more "research", and I'm leaning towards Swiftgron. The tattoo removal seems like more than just a coincidence. I'm not buying the whole "collage is a composite of Swift/Kloss" argument. That said, I couldn't figure out umlauts when searching, so trying to investigate the Toe stuff just got me a bunch of pictures of Taylor Swift's feet, which I quickly closed so as not to be placed on any FBI watch lists or risk not passing my next CORI check.

To keep with the OP and not be a pure derail- I think empiricist often assume that empiricism (and the consequent logical positivism) is EVERYONE's dominant epistemology, and argue from this perspective. To assert that the empirical research does not support position A to someone who believes that the statements of their Crystal Shaman support position B is futile. The time used doing so would be better spent reading a book, doing the dishes, or trimming your toenails.

Now let's talk about Hetlor...

Last edited: