RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Today has been emotional. I laugh cried earlier. My parents think I’m crazy probably.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
My brother is visiting. I was so excited to see him but he is so afraid of giving me COVID to the point that I keep getting "shooed" back upstairs (for lack of a better term). He lives in the city and we are out in a near-rural part of the suburbs. I had a lot of health problems growing up. My family still views me as being much more fragile than I am. They are downstairs having fun and I feel like a leper. I know they are doing it because they love me, but still. Brother would only come home if I stayed in my bedroom the whole time and I really want my mom to have the time with him, so I'm tolerating it, but it feels sad. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
My brother is visiting. I was so excited to see him but he is so afraid of giving me COVID to the point that I keep getting "shooed" back upstairs (for lack of a better term). He lives in the city and we are out in a near-rural part of the suburbs. I had a lot of health problems growing up. My family still views me as being much more fragile than I am. They are downstairs having fun and I feel like a leper. I know they are doing it because they love me, but still. Brother would only come home if I stayed in my bedroom the whole time and I really want my mom to have the time with him, so I'm tolerating it, but it feels sad. :(
So he'll give it to your parents so they can give it to you, but he won't give it to you directly? That's some interesting logic there.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I start my preceptorship tomorrow. In general I’m pretty jazzed because I’ll be able to get out of the house and use my skills, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t just a little concerned about being around the public. People in my area have seemed to stop caring about distancing at all since being in “phase 1”. Traffic is horrendous, everywhere is crowded with none of the 25% capacity rules being enforced anywhere, and very few people wear face coverings. I’ve actually been laughed at for wearing a mask in public a few times. Everyone has their kiddos out and about and I saw a newborn baby in a restaurant on Facebook the other day. I’m thinking we will be back into stay at home by next week. It’s been very yikes.

• Sad
  • Wow
I start my preceptorship tomorrow. In general I’m pretty jazzed because I’ll be able to get out of the house and use my skills, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t just a little concerned about being around the public. People in my area have seemed to stop caring about distancing at all since being in “phase 1”. Traffic is horrendous, everywhere is crowded with none of the 25% capacity rules being enforced anywhere, and very few people wear face coverings. I’ve actually been laughed at for wearing a mask in public a few times. Everyone has their kiddos out and about and I saw a newborn baby in a restaurant on Facebook the other day. I’m thinking we will be back into stay at home by next week. It’s been very yikes.

I watched a documentary on the Spanish flu today, and yeah... at least we’re not in the middle of a world war with the military causing major breakouts... but otherwise it kinda looks like history may be repeating itself.

Reactions: 1 user
at least we’re not in the middle of a world war with the military causing major breakouts

I mean, this year is far from over!

But for real. More folks need to get in the mindset that this pandemic is really only beginning if we don’t change our ways real soon.

Reactions: 6 users
I mean, this year is far from over!

But for real. More folks need to get in the mindset that this pandemic is really only beginning if we don’t change our ways real soon.
Whenever someone say this is "happening unless we change real soon" I always think well I guess this is happening then because people don't change for ****.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
I love when someone constantly bitches and moans about everyone and everything, when they finally get called out for their own **** they have nothing to say about it. **** you. **** you, **** you, **** you.

Reactions: 4 users
Petty minor rant: my Ford Escape is due for registration renewal in June, including an emissions test. I am in CO since we were moved online and advised to go home if possible at the beginning of all this. Escape is inconveniently located in Illinois with all her paperwork. I would just ask my roommate to grab everything out of the glove box to send to me via pictures. But I have the keys with me because I thought I was going to be back in March. The emissions extension includes either getting emissions tested in the county the car lives in, or have a police officer from the county you're living in fill out a form stating that there is no emissions testing in the county. I wasn't planning on heading back to Illinois until July.

So I have no info on my vehicle to fill out the emissions extension or registration extension paperwork online. I do not have access to a Champaign police officer to fill out emissions exemption form (you know, instead of simply having an online list of counties without emissions testing that DMVs nationwide could access to verify). Calling just gets someone telling me all this almost ver batim as if they're reading their own website. My parents are double checking to see if they have any of this info since I'm bumming off their insurance until graduation.

This will all be handled over the course of the week and is really not that big of a deal. It's just so annoying that the perfect storm of circumstances has made what should be an easy task relatively impossible by myself.

• Sad
Petty minor rant: my Ford Escape is due for registration renewal in June, including an emissions test. I am in CO since we were moved online and advised to go home if possible at the beginning of all this. Escape is inconveniently located in Illinois with all her paperwork. I would just ask my roommate to grab everything out of the glove box to send to me via pictures. But I have the keys with me because I thought I was going to be back in March. The emissions extension includes either getting emissions tested in the county the car lives in, or have a police officer from the county you're living in fill out a form stating that there is no emissions testing in the county. I wasn't planning on heading back to Illinois until July.

So I have no info on my vehicle to fill out the emissions extension or registration extension paperwork online. I do not have access to a Champaign police officer to fill out emissions exemption form (you know, instead of simply having an online list of counties without emissions testing that DMVs nationwide could access to verify). Calling just gets someone telling me all this almost ver batim as if they're reading their own website. My parents are double checking to see if they have any of this info since I'm bumming off their insurance until graduation.

This will all be handled over the course of the week and is really not that big of a deal. It's just so annoying that the perfect storm of circumstances has made what should be an easy task relatively impossible by myself.
Any chance you could mail your key or a valet key or something to your roommate and have her grab it?

Reactions: 1 users
Any chance you could mail your key or a valet key or something to your roommate and have her grab it?

My fiance suggested this too. I'm just super paranoid this would be the one time my mail gets lost and then I wouldn't have a key :confused: I'll see what info my parents have and if they have nothing, your suggestion may be my only hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
My fiance suggested this too. I'm just super paranoid this would be the one time my mail gets lost and then I wouldn't have a key :confused: I'll see what info my parents have and if they have nothing, your suggestion may be my only hope.
Colorado has a one month grace period for car registration renewals. As long as you get it registered in July, it shouldn't be a problem. (Online Vehicle Registration Renewal FAQs)

Your car insurance should have all the info too. Your state might also have an online DMV system that already has all your info (my state does).

If you only have one set of keys, I'd just do it late and eat the fee rather than mail them if you can't get it done on time. My registration renewal was due in February and I forgot until I looked at my plates in May and went "oh crap." The only penalty here was a $10 late fee. (Maybe double check it wouldn't tank your parents insurance rates though, or that it's not an exorbitant amount in CO.)

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

I stg the bronchial pattern is a lie invented by radiologists to **** with students.

I hate radiology.

tracking with insurance. good luck!

I hadn't even thought of this! :D

Colorado has a one month grace period for car registration renewals. As long as you get it registered in July, it shouldn't be a problem. (Online Vehicle Registration Renewal FAQs)

Your car insurance should have all the info too. Your state might also have an online DMV system that already has all your info (my state does).

If you only have one set of keys, I'd just do it late and eat the fee rather than mail them if you can't get it done on time. My registration renewal was due in February and I forgot until I looked at my plates in May and went "oh crap." The only penalty here was a $10 late fee. (Maybe double check it wouldn't tank your parents insurance rates though, or that it's not an exorbitant amount in CO.)

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Yeah, I knew about the grace period, I'm just paranoid about cutting it close with the current state of things. My dad does thing the insurance should have everything, he just has no clue where my mom keeps that stuff. lol.

I stg the bronchial pattern is a lie invented by radiologists to **** with students.

I hate radiology.
Entertained the idea of internship and residency for radiology. Took radiology. No longer entertaining those ideas on any level
Our rad team was fantastic but definitely not my jam.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

I hate radiology.

Oh don’t worry, in practice, like every freaking radiology report comes back as “mild bronchial or mild bronchointerstitial pattern that may or may not be of significance, correlate with clinical signs”

• Haha
But radiology is the best! :p If you need/want guidance let me know!
Thank you! It’s my first clinical rotation and it’s all online over 2 weeks. It’s been a rough transition to say the least.

Me: planning wedding. 10k budget, gets quotes from a bunch of reasonable very pretty places. Finds a really pretty barn and asks for quote expecting it to be similar to the other higher end places of like 7.5k including food

Barn place: Venue rental is 14k and doesn't include catering or booze

Me:
129-1292867_cereal-guy-png-meme-spitting-out-coffee-transparent.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users

Does escapé have a keycode entry?

I've been getting quite a few CBD texts. Also one to "increase your testosterone naturally."
This likely doesn't necessarily help, but is your phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry as well as your state one (if applicable)? Doesn't hurt, and obviously scammers still gonna scam and spammers still gonna spam.

The nuclear approach I did was disable SMS/MMS text messages at the carrier level. I get literally 0 per year. :D It's pure bliss. I have a Google Voice number if I need to still receive SMS/MMS. And I'm converting close friends and close family to use Signal anyways instead of old school SMS/MMS. That needs to DIAF, but the only way is if enough of the general public changes behavior. (Which is like 0% sadly).

Last edited:
@batsenecal USPS Registered Mail starts at $12.60, but I think it's the highest level of CYA protection offered. Could also just get a small flat rate USPS Priority Mail box or envelope (comes with tracking), but there's a little less protection in case your keys are lost.

So my dad has some baby holsteins that have figured out how to get out including busting through fences. Today they licked the gate latch open. Been missing for hours, every time before we find a facebook post one time was literally in front of our house

About 6 months ago our old lady schnauzer had managed to get out.

Kicker the neighbors SEE them, have our phone numbers, but have NEVER bothered to call and be like hey I see your cows/dog. Is it too much to ask for a simple phone call even once? Id get it if it was a common occurrence but like its not.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
So my dad has some baby holsteins that have figured out how to get out including busting through fences. Today they licked the gate latch open. Been missing for hours, every time before we find a facebook post one time was literally in front of our house

About 6 months ago our old lady schnauzer had managed to get out.

Kicker the neighbors SEE them, have our phone numbers, but have NEVER bothered to call and be like hey I see your cows/dog. Is it too much to ask for a simple phone call even once? Id get it if it was a common occurrence but like its not.
The horse I used to ride used to have three chains holding the gate closed because 1 was not enough for her :dead:
Sorry your neighbors don’t call :(

Reactions: 2 users
This likely doesn't necessarily help, but is your phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry as well as your state one (if applicable)? Doesn't hurt, and obviously scammers still gonna scam and spammers still gonna spam.
My number has apparently been on the national do not call list since I was 8 :laugh: (it was my dad's number before it was mine)

But what's also irritating is I turned on message filtering from iOS settings (so it's supposed to put texts from unknown numbers in a separate tab and not give you notifications) but it hasn't done that. Granted, I turned it on this afternoon and I've only gotten one spam text since then but…

My number has apparently been on the national do not call list since I was 8 :laugh: (it was my dad's number before it was mine)
Yeah mine has been on there for probably the past 10 years and I still get t o n s of spam calls. Most being robocalls which aren’t allowed by the do not call list (some actual person calls are iirc)

I bought an app for like 4 bucks and get almost no spam calls at this point - and the ones I do get, the app answers for me with a variety of recordings that I selected (I think right now it does a Hermione Granger thing) and saves the conversation so I can listen to it later. It was worth the money.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I bought an app for like 4 bucks and get almost no spam calls at this point - and the ones I do get, the app answers for me with a variety of recordings that I selected (I think right now it does a Hermione Granger thing) and saves the conversation so I can listen to it later. It was worth the money.
What is this called

I made the mistake of trying to find stop gap health coverage and my phone has been exploding with quotes/agents for a few weeks now. Also...

I had my first euthanasia today and it definitely did not go as smoothly as I wanted. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 13 users
Robokiller
I just saw a news segment on it! It sounds amazing. The recordings are made to try and keep the robocaller on the phone for as long as possible so they are tied up with this and not calling someone else. The ones with actual people getting pissed off are so funny.

I made the mistake of trying to find stop gap health coverage and my phone has been exploding with quotes/agents for a few weeks now. Also...

I had my first euthanasia today and it definitely did not go as smoothly as I wanted. :(

If you ever want to talk about it feel free to PM me. It’s really an art and everyone has different ways of doing it and it’s about figuring out what works for you. It’s not foolproof and you can’t always predict how the animal or client will react, but it tends to get better. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Things won’t always go as you’d like it to, and that’s ok.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Don't beat yourself up about it, but use the experience to start working on a routine for yourself. Like MB says, everyone does it a little differently but it's important that you feel comfortable with the set-up and process. I think having a bad euthanasia is a right of passage, unfortunately. My PMs are open too if you ever want to vent :)

• Love

I have a few stories of rough euthanasias, they suck. As much as we like them to be smooth, they aren't always. You'll learn and develop new ways and for the most part they'll go well, but the rough ones will be what stick out because they suck when they occur. Like the others, my PM box is always open for venting.

• Love
I'm so done with this crap already, just need to vent A little backstory: we rented a three bed house in Davis for an excellent price. When we rented it she said we could have it for two years but they might sell it year three. Well after a month into year two we get an email saying they decided not to sell yet and we can have the house for another year. We accept. April rolls around and we're still waiting to hear back to sign the new lease. I contact the owner because the washing machine broke. I get the reply of oh ok I'll send so and so over tomorrow to fix it. By the way we have great news! Our daughter is expecting and we're thrilled. Sorry you have to find a new place to live next year. I reply saying that sucks and it's not much time to find a place could they be flexible a month or so either way. I get the response of "Absolutely, yes, we'll make it work"

Que mad scramble to find a new place to live during freaking COVID. We finally manage to snag a sweet place and we're thrilled. We have to leave in ten days, new lease starts June 1st. I email the landlord. Hi, I know it's short notice but our new lease starts June 1st, since we don't want to put you out for a whole two months could we just prorate June to two weeks? Then your daughter can move in during July at her leisure. She replys with "let's just stick with the current contract"

What the frick lady? You said we had the house, then we didn't have the house and now you're trying to keep us on the line through July? No freaking way, just no. I compose a very polite email asking for half of June because she said she'd be flexible and and moving is expensive. She replies today with an email about asking us to pay through mid-July because that's when her daughter moves. I reply to that email asking for a compromise of June rent without July.

Here's the weird and confusing thing, She replies to my first email asking for half of June off with no July and says yeah I can make that work. I'm super confused. Did she not read it originally? Did she think I meant July? She never even acknowledged the email I compromised and said we'd pay June. This isn't the first time she's messed up details like this. I can't trust it. I don't want to have to go to court to deal with this bull****. I just want what she promised. I asked her to clarify and haven't received a response yet.

Today sucks

• Sad
Reactions: 12 users
Thanks everyone :love:

Reactions: 3 users