RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
in regards to the rough euthanasia: mad props to the poor vet and tech who were working two weeks ago when we took Max into the emergency vet. we aren't sure what happened (maybe a stroke? spinal lesion?) he was unresponsive from the neck down, just floppy. was struggling to breath. Would pick up a leg, play with his foot, no response. Usually, touching or holding his paw would incite a riot! decision made. went for front leg...and he kept jerking back his leg. ok, cue more tears. so he tries back leg. he jerks his leg. the poor vet had such a look on his face....I felt so sorry for him. they were so nice and kind to us, even tho I think they knew as soon as they examined Max what would happen. I have always had deep respect for you guys; he was just so wonderful, even when it did not go as it should have; even more respect.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ranting here because people are dumb and I swear this pandemic is REALLY bringing out the stupid in people. I’m going to rant about two dumb clients.

1.We were fully booked and double booked in some places with tech appointments. Some lady called (who isn’t a client of ours. We tend to overbook our clients first) saying her dog has been vomiting since Tuesday and also had some bloody loose stool. I let her know that we are fully booked and that my next available would be next Wednesday and that she should go to the ER. I also tell her I can talk to my doctor and ask how far away she lives (sometimes my doctor wants overbooks to come ASAP). She says to me “well I was hoping to come around 10 because I have a zoom workout session starting soon.” ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!!?:mad: I then proceed to tell her there’s a chance that my doctor might want her to come right away. She goes “oh okay well I guess I can start my workout so I have my phone near me in case you call me. I guess my dog is more important.”

my doctor being the wonderful human being he is ended up squeezing her in later that afternoon

2. this other lady calls at 3:00 (this is when the last appointment of the day is scheduled. My doctor likes to head out of there as fast as possible after that.)

lady: hi I was hoping to schedule an appointment for my dog to get some shots
Me: okay, whats your dog’s name and last name?
Lady: *gives name*
me: *looks up dog and sees dog has been overdue for an exam, bordetella, lepto, heartworm test, and fecal test since 3/20/20* okay when were you looking to Come in?
Lady: today.
Me: o_O:bang:ummm im sorry my doctor just started my last appointment of the day and will be leaving shortly after that.
lady: oh well we wanted to board her for the weekend. She only needs the bordetella. Can’t you just squeeze me in for that?
Me: no I’m sorry your dog is overdue for an exam. Your dog needs to be seen by a doctor before we can give vaccines
lady: are you sure you can’t just check if you can squeeze me in?
Me: i can ask but i can’t guarantee anything *talks to tech and tells her what’s going on. Tech looks also visibly frustrated.*
Tech: hi yeah so unfortunately your dog was due in March and because we are on our last appointment for the day we won’t be able to see your dog.

now I don’t know what happened next but somehow my doctor (trying to be the most compassionate guy during these crazy times) must’ve overheard and had the lady come down anyways.

what we didn’t realize is that the dog was a sketchy German shepherd that needed her own owner to muzzle her and was also known for taking the muzzle off and trying to bite Us in the room. My doctor didn’t know this though otherwise he wouldn’t have scheduled her. He told her on the phone that we might have to abort the appointment because our safety (The staff) and the safety of the dog was his number one priority. It seems this lady did not fully understand this because he had to repeat himself.

this next part is almost a rave but also not really. yesterday was my first day back in 7 weeks because I was dealing with a lot of family stuff plus I myself had a covid scare. Anyways today I looked up a few cases I remembered that were interesting and I wanted to follow up. Not sure if anyone remembers me talking about a 14.5 old Australian shepherd who had a long history of chronic UTIs, ataxia, liver issues, and the owner wanted to treat all of it holistically with milk thistle and colloidal silver. You name it she’s tried it. She’s the type of client that goes “I know more than you because I did all my research on the internet.” Anyways, this poor dog had a TERRIBLE quality of life. Always was on/off antibiotics, when we could actually convince her owner to take home antibiotics. Owner stopped giving NSAIDs because she “didn’t seem painful” but she definitely seemed painful. Also owner was very cost conscious, which isn’t a bad thing, but when you add it on top of the fact that the client is already very high maintenance, it’s a little annoying. Anyways, I found out today that holly was euthanized at the ER a month ago. Honestly I’m relieved because that dog’s quality of life was terrible and I felt so bad for her every time she was brought in. Apparently the owner had a hard time letting her go though. I read the notes and it basically said that Holly had to be resuscitated with CPR because her heart couldn’t be detected. Ribs were found broken, her fecal matter was described as “sludge”, and a bunch of other issues. Basically overall a very poor prognosis and humane euthanasia was suggested. Owner decides to wait another 12 hours and chooses euthanasia the next morning. I understand that end of life decisions can be very difficult and everything, but I just feel bad for the dog that was clearly suffering

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
It’s one thing to have your dog get a hotspot and have him constantly lick it. It’s quite another thing to have your dog get a hotspot, not actually be licking it anymore at all because I put him back on apoquel BUT my other dog is now licking it for him. Like seriously at night he will sit there and lick my other dog’s pyodermas :laugh: I’m gonna have to put an e-collar on the dog with normal skin just so will leave his brother alone. Oh my boys. Pieces of work.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
....and normal skin dog actually doesn’t have normal skin. I just found a hot spot on him, too. I’m losing my mind. Guess he’s going back on the apoquel too. I hate atopy so much :confused:

• Sad
  • Wow
Cytopoint has been GREAT for Gail. We wouldn't get through the spring/summer without it. Other than between her toes sometimes, she doesn't even look like an allergy dog anymore because we've been so on top of it. No hot spots in at least 2 years!

I really like "pred before bed" :laugh:

I did a couple rounds of cytopoint with Barrett last fall (his usual flare up time). I felt like the first two doses were awesome but the subsequent doses weren’t quite as effective. I still recommend it to clients (and some people get one injection at the start of their dog’s flare season and are good to go :shrug:) but I feel like apoquel is more consistent, at least in my hands.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did a couple rounds of cytopoint with Barrett last fall (his usual flare up time). I felt like the first two doses were awesome but the subsequent doses weren’t quite as effective. I still recommend it to clients (and some people get one injection at the start of their dog’s flare season and are good to go :shrug:) but I feel like apoquel is more consistent, at least in my hands.

Yup I've seen the reduced efficacy of cytopoint over multiple doses as well

Reactions: 2 users
Spam game SUPER strong

Reactions: 2 users
I think one thread would've been enough.................

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve said this a million times but this pandemic has really brought the stupid out in people. My clinic is operating on a curbside care basis only. We have signs plastered across our door in big red letters “DO NOT ENTER“ and then an arrow underneath the sign pointing to another sign with detailed instructions on how to receive curbside services. Basically they call us and tell us what they need. Clients aren’t allowed in the building. Period. It’s not that hard. Today I still had a dude look at the sign as if he was processing the information, and still proceed to open the door and attempt to walk in. I had to interrupt my phone call I was on to say “Excuse me!” and prevent him from entering the clinic. He looked all confused and said “oh sorry.” He then proceeded to read the sign and still stand there confused on what he was supposed to do. He had to be told to return to his vehicle and call us so we can further assist him.
:bang:
#covidiots

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
IM SCREAMING

9130E4F0-6A80-4607-A786-467092CE6EBC.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
This is what happens when I try to be a productive vet student. I miss out on stuff like this. Had this happened two days ago, I would have been hip to the story from the beginning. Now I missed it all.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
This is what happens when I try to be a productive vet student. I miss out on stuff like this. Had this happened two days ago, I would have been hip to the story from the beginning. Now I missed it all.
This might be the only evidence
Click to see the quote. Basically it was posted in every single thread.

Please stop spamming this in unrelated threads.

I'm not being productive and am still managing to miss out on it all.

you’re glad you missed out. Trust me. this child was spamming every thread with a petition signing their full name and class AND school

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’ve said this a million times but this pandemic has really brought the stupid out in people. My clinic is operating on a curbside care basis only. We have signs plastered across our door in big red letters “DO NOT ENTER“ and then an arrow underneath the sign pointing to another sign with detailed instructions on how to receive curbside services. Basically they call us and tell us what they need. Clients aren’t allowed in the building. Period. It’s not that hard. Today I still had a dude look at the sign as if he was processing the information, and still proceed to open the door and attempt to walk in. I had to interrupt my phone call I was on to say “Excuse me!” and prevent him from entering the clinic. He looked all confused and said “oh sorry.” He then proceeded to read the sign and still stand there confused on what he was supposed to do. He had to be told to return to his vehicle and call us so we can further assist him.
:bang:
#covidiots

I don't know if it's a stupidity or habit. This happened to me at a pizza place, I was picking up my pizza, mind you wearing a mask, and as soon as I walk in this lady proceeds to yell at me to call them instead. Apparently they had a poster outside with instructions. It also doesn't make sense cause every business is doing things differently.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if it's a stupidity or habit. This happened to me at a pizza place, I was picking up my pizza, mind you wearing a mask, and as soon as I walk in this lady proceeds to yell at me to call them instead. Apparently they had a poster outside with instructions. It also doesn't make sense cause every business is doing things differently.

had the opposite situation. I ordered some French fries for curbside pickup. So I parked my car curbside... and nothing happened for about 5 minutes. Literally no other customers at that time. I could see the inside of the whole place. I call and said I ordered some fries for curbside pickup, and I was asked for my name, and the girl on the phone was like, yup we got it, it’s all set for curbside pickup. Ok cool. So I’m waiting some more. And there is literally no instructions or anything at the restaurant. Some customer walks in to the restaurant and back out. So I call again, and am put on hold. Just as this girl takes me off hold, a dude comes out and is like “can I help you?” So I shout out my window that I’m here to pick up my fries, and the girl on the phone is all confused. So I have to then explain that I’m all set now because the dude is getting my fries. And she is still confused, so I just hang up. Like how hard could this be!?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Didn’t click on link for fear of it imploding my phone. But what exactly was the petition asking for? What exactly was being asked for in “recognizing veterinary personnel as essential personnel“ (just like grocerers and construction workers...)?
Literally just wanting people to know we’re essential even though we’ve been classified as essential since the beginning

Reactions: 4 users