RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@batsenecal has made an appearance too.

Apparently I just "don't understand" the goal.

I need screenshots!! Lol! Need some good tea to sip

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That's the one, yep. I got curious and then balked when I saw it.

View attachment 307875

Okay, so I wasn't 100% correct on the pricing. Still.
I don’t see anything wrong with that. They are willing to provide a legitimate service for a price. As long as there are people willing to spend that money on their service, they’re free to do so. That there are other places offering possibly the same service for free is irrelevant. How much it costs to apply to vet school is also irrelevant. Whether or not this service is worth it is up to the consumer to decide. *shrug*

Reactions: 1 user
I actually really like the suggestion of getting donuts or something for the local clinic to show appreciation, rather than a non-petition.

like yes, pls bring me donuts. Let’s make this a thing

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of APVMA, there was someone else who posted a link to their website where applicants could have current vet students read and review their essays... for the low, low price of $39.99/essay. I commented and pointed out how exorbitant that was considering that you could get the exact same thing on SDN for absolutely free.

The post was deleted a couple of minutes later.

Between VMCAS, supplementals, GRE score reports, transcripts, interview-related costs, and deposits, vet school applications are already so expensive as it is---too expensive, arguably---that I highly doubt there'd actually be any sort of real market for that.
Oh boy, you’d HATE some of these academic consulting services that are out there. Look up BeMo Academic Consulting. I saw an ad for them a couple years ago while applying to vet school and they offer their services to anyone applying to any type of professional school. They offer tiered packages with different levels of service and pricing. There’s even one that guarantees that you’ll get in or your money back. All for the low cost of $18,000.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I don’t see anything wrong with that. They are willing to provide a legitimate service for a price. As long as there are people willing to spend that money on their service, they’re free to do so. That there are other places offering possibly the same service for free is irrelevant. How much it costs to apply to vet school is also irrelevant. Whether or not this service is worth it is up to the consumer to decide. *shrug*
I think it’s wrong to delete a post letting people know if a similar, free service though.

I mean, that's totally a fair point. Consumers ultimately will be the ones to decide if it is worth the cost or not.

My original comment to them wasn't necessarily meant to be malicious or discourage them from offering or providing the service; I think there is a place for it, if the sheer number of PMs I get from people wanting me to comb through their essays each cycle is any indication. I just suggested that, if they want more people to use their service, they ought to reconsider their pricing scheme. I can't see too many applicants being willing to fork out $39.99+ to have someone read one essay, but maybe I'm too far removed from the current pre-vet crowd and/or SDN isn't as popular or widely known about as I thought. Meh.
Well I mean... if the number of people who are willing to go to LIU for their insane tuition for a ****ty product is any indication... $40 is like nothing!

Speaking of APVMA, there was someone else who posted a link to their website where applicants could have current vet students read and review their essays... for the low, low price of $39.99/essay. I commented and pointed out how exorbitant that was considering that you could get the exact same thing on SDN for absolutely free.

The post was deleted a couple of minutes later.

Between VMCAS, supplementals, GRE score reports, transcripts, interview-related costs, and deposits, vet school applications are already so expensive as it is---too expensive, arguably---that I highly doubt there'd actually be any sort of real market for that.
Damn, would have been the perfect opportunity for this meme
ESGj5gWX0AIOE8A.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Wait was the post deleted off of APVMA too? I was lurking on it and now I can’t find it

like yes, pls bring me donuts. Let’s make this a thing
Omg but they better be good donuts. We had a PNC bank rep bring us sad, stale donut holes twice. It was disappointing

• Sad
  • Dislike
Members don't see this ad :)
New neighbor moved in a few weeks ago and has been blasting music most of the day. Have tried knocking on the door before and was ignored. Saturday it was so bad my cats motion activated toys were going off cause my floor was vibrating (I wish I was kidding). Finally was just ****ing over it and called the non-emergency line last night at 2 am when it had been going on for six hours. Today who I presume is said neighbor, never seen him before and I know everyone else in my building, spent five minutes pounding intermittently at my door. I live alone so did not open the door. Sorry nope, do not feel comfortable opening the door for a large angry man. Clearly they don't give a **** about the noise complaint though since they are again blasting music tonight. So ****ing glad I move soon. This has been every day for weeks and I am just over it. If you want to blast music at all hours go live on greek row, not my quiet neighborhood way off campus that is mostly families.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 13 users
Group work has me frustrated, annoyed and feeling a touch misanthropic at the moment

New neighbor moved in a few weeks ago and has been blasting music most of the day. Have tried knocking on the door before and was ignored. Saturday it was so bad my cats motion activated toys were going off cause my floor was vibrating (I wish I was kidding). Finally was just ****ing over it and called the non-emergency line last night at 2 am when it had been going on for six hours. Today who I presume is said neighbor, never seen him before and I know everyone else in my building, spent five minutes pounding intermittently at my door. I live alone so did not open the door. Sorry nope, do not feel comfortable opening the door for a large angry man. Clearly they don't give a **** about the noise complaint though since they are again blasting music tonight. So ****ing glad I move soon. This has been every day for weeks and I am just over it. If you want to blast music at all hours go live on greek row, not my quiet neighborhood way off campus that is mostly families.
This is exactly why my stipulation for moving to another apartment if we couldn't find a house was no more upstairs neighbors (which so far has been excellent). Had a similar situation over the last couple months at the old place, though fortunately they never came and banged on my door.

Reactions: 3 users
This is exactly why my stipulation for moving to another apartment if we couldn't find a house was no more upstairs neighbors (which so far has been excellent). Had a similar situation over the last couple months at the old place, though fortunately they never came and banged on my door.
This is my downstairs neighbor sadly lol I live in a super small building, only 12 units, and the last four years have been great. Only occasional parties, especially during football season, which I could care less about. Every day though.... I just want to sleep:(

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 3 users
I'm debating on whether or not to stay post-graduation.
I'm still a member but I finally hid it from my news feed, I got tired of seeing the same questions about VMCAS over and over. Somebody tag me if someone has a specific question about K-State. :laugh:

tbh i thought that was a spammer using a fake name so a bit surprised to find it's real :bag::sorry:
What’s funny is I stalked her Facebook page and she didn’t even put her petition on her main page... so like I’m not sure what her goal is. “To garner support for the veterinary community from the veterinary community”????

btw whoever suggested donuts I think is great. I’d prefer donuts over a shout-out on Facebook. Plus I think private acts to show your appreciation is much more admirable than public ones

"Hundreds of others who signed" is not what I saw when I clicked on it.

Idk, I thought we actually had some good suggestions for more effective communication methods or things to do, but what do I know?

Reactions: 2 users
so like I’m not sure what her goal is.
I'm not sure what your goal is. It's pretty clear her petition isn't going to actually change anything. And it was annoying when she was spamming here, but mods took care of that. So arguing with her about her own stupidity is probably not going to change her mind, given that we know 1) she makes dumb petitions, and 2) she thinks spamming a veterinary community is an acceptable way to show how much she appreciates the veterinary community. She's not worth your time and effort. Are you bored? Do you need something to do? lol

Reactions: 5 users
"Hundreds of others who signed" is not what I saw when I clicked on it.

Idk, I thought we actually had some good suggestions for more effective communication methods or things to do, but what do I know?
I honestly don’t know anyone who has ranted about our profession as “essential but shouldn’t be.” I get that this person is trying to spread positivity but they went about it in such a weird way. Like I said, the fact that they didn’t put in on their personal Facebook also very much confuses me and weirds me out.

I've been doing arts and crafts all day. Very good at entertaining myself, but not so great at entertaining others. :p
Ooooh what kind of arts and crafts? I’m supposed to get a paint by numbers of my cat and I anxiously await its arrival (delayed because of covid but is a bday present from my bf)

Thunder begins. Pittie child (whose hot spots are healing beautifully, btw!) kicks into fear gear. He tries to hide in the hamper. He falls in headfirst in gets stuck. I hear him and whip my glasses on and turn on my phone flashlight to go help. I trip over the water bowl and fall spectacularly. As I do that, he is able to work out of the hamper himself. Ow, my knee.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, I would hope people here do not continue to respond to her. I think it is important to represent SDN well. She is not spamming the APVMA page, which was the main issue here, I think it's much easier to just ignore it and move on when it isn't being shoved in your face everywhere you look

Reactions: 5 users
It has been over two and a half hours and music is back to the level my floor is vibrating. How do they stand being in their apartment with it this loud?! Jfc. And sensible person would not be blasting music the night after a noise complaint. Just one more week wahhh

• Sad
  • Angry
It has been over two and a half hours and music is back to the level my floor is vibrating. How do they stand being in their apartment with it this loud?! Jfc. And sensible person would not be blasting music the night after a noise complaint. Just one more week wahhh

My petty self would call in another noise complaint. Let them wrack up noise violations and tickets all night.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

Reactions: 7 users
My petty self would call in another noise complaint. Let them wrack up noise violations and tickets all night.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.
Honestly if they hadn't banged on my door earlier I would be calling again if it goes past 10. Technically this could be reported anytime based on te city ordinances because its amplified noise, but I don't want to be a total dingus.

I just don't feel comfortable calling again if one complaint and just a warning made them bang on my door :/

If friend lived closer (not 30 minutes away) I would be making her husband come over and go knock on their door for me. I see your big scary man and raise you an even bigger scary man :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Honestly if they hadn't banged on my door earlier I would be calling again if it goes past 10. Technically this could be reported anytime based on te city ordinances because its amplified noise, but I don't want to be a total dingus.

I just don't feel comfortable calling again if one complaint and just a warning made them bang on my door :/
You should call the number and let them know they're being threatening

You should call the number and let them know they're being threatening
If they come by again, I will. I just don't want to escalate things. I am concerned how they would react to that sort of report when this was their reaction to last night.

My mental health was definitely not in a great spot when I left my hometown to move to vet school. I didn't realize how poor until I had my new life and realized how happy I was.

I knew moving back to my hometown for the summer was going to probably be rough, but decided it was worth the job opportunity. The job opportunity has indeed been wonderful, but a lot of the old issues that I had before moving have returned and I've been spending a lot of time in my head and in the past. Feels like I've taken several steps backward in life. :/
I love my family so much but I love visiting them! They're a wonderful support system but by god do they drive me insane when I spend more than 10 days home! My hometown is not a place I would ever move back to, lots of elitism (and also poverty), drugs and entitlement. It's Long Island but it's a town with a lot of contrasting areas, some really rich folk and some really poor folk.

I think the one thing that gives me solace when I go back home is I know that I'm not here to stay long-term and I should try to find the few positive things that I loved doing when I was a kid. There are a lot of bad things but I know since I'm not going to come back here long-term ever again, I should relish in the positives :) I know that's probably really difficult with COVID but try to go to your favorite park or bake with your family, something that gives you some good memories! Kinda pretend it's like the holiday season with your family (who knows, you might be working at school during the holidays this year!).

You know you're moving forward in life and you have something really positive to go back to! Try to focus on that :) Get a zoom meeting going with your friends from school and catch up!

You can get through this!

It’s almost 130 and they finally turned the ****ing music off. Why are people such dinguses. I’ve had some annoying ass neighbors at times the last ten years living in apartments, but this dude definitely takes the cake -.-

• Angry
I'm not sure what your goal is. It's pretty clear her petition isn't going to actually change anything. And it was annoying when she was spamming here, but mods took care of that. So arguing with her about her own stupidity is probably not going to change her mind, given that we know 1) she makes dumb petitions, and 2) she thinks spamming a veterinary community is an acceptable way to show how much she appreciates the veterinary community. She's not worth your time and effort. Are you bored? Do you need something to do? lol

Agreed, and I think we’re starting to reach bullying territory. So let’s stop.

You wouldn’t want people to take random Facebook arguments you’ve had and post it on here for the intent to ridicule with your identity attached. Even if she had previously made her identity known, that’s still not cool. With you posting it, she cannot go back and delete it even if she wanted to. I’m pretty sure it’s also against SDN’s ToS to do so.

it’s one thing to be snarky with one another here for stupid things done or said. I do think it crosses the line to drag someone’s Facebook activity here especially with their identities

Okay so I took the original post down because I didn’t block out names (oops). I think someone (the person who told me to make my own post) reported my original comment because it’s no longer visible. Super petty but okay I love some good petty drama:yeahright: I have to split this into multip posts because of the number of photos.

Yeah continue the argument on Facebook if you like, but I don't think it's appropriate to bring screenshots from a private group to a public place on the internet, especially with identities attached. Even if she did use her real name here before, those posts are gone and she would have been able to delete them herself if she wanted to. Bringing that stuff here feels kind of gross.

Just wanted to let everyone know I deleted the screenshots. I apologize if I offended anyone. Sometimes I’m in a petty mood and need to get it out of my system so thanks everyone for putting up with me when I’m in a ranting mood. :pNo clients have irritated me yet today but it’s still early;)

You know what I hate? Online TV services that play ads any time you try to fast forward. TLC does this. I’m just trying to find where I left off watching my garbage TV show of choice, and so I’m fast forwarding 15 or 20 minutes at a time. There are little dots that tell you when ads will play. But instead, it just plays ads every time I fast forward, so to find out if I went far enough ahead I have to sit through 5 minutes of ads. I started trying to watch an episode at 12:00. It’s now almost 12:30 and I still haven’t found where I left off because of the ads.

Reactions: 6 users
Omg yeah dudes when I said I wanted screenshots I totally meant I wanted someone to send them to me on FB. I’m sooooo sorry I never wanted them to be posted here I should have specified that.