Rationale for MD over DO, and vice versa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIC2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been strongly considering applying to DO schools. My stats are above average for DO but average for MD low-tier. I would rather have a medical degree than no degree and have to re-apply. However, I am somewhat concerned that if I become interested in specialized medicine, especially surgery, that I will have a more challenging path ahead of me with a DO compared to an MD. I have shadowed surgeons and primary care physicians, and surgery was by by far my favorite field to observe (doesn't mean I'd make a great surgeon, but who knows?) I am not suggesting that I know for a fact that I am going to pursue surgery or specialized care. My point is an MD gives me more options for career paths and a higher chance of residency placement, although this is likely going to become balanced between the two careers over the coming years.

Is this sound rationale for pursuing an MD over a DO? Conversely, a DO may be a better choice for primary care and I will have a much better chance at entering a DO program than an MD (of course this applies to most applicants).

Members don't see this ad.

Yay. another MD vs DO thread :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You would actually have a better chance at any specialty by picking US MD over US DO (this includes primary care). The difference between the two degrees in regards to medical education is that for US MD, you have access to better clinical rotations and training, as well as additional resources like research opportunities, which will help you out in the long term

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/md-vs-do.1181719/#post-17375014

Reactions: 6 users
You know, to be a successful medical student, it does help to be able to use "search" functions.

And you already answered your question.

Next?

I've been strongly considering applying to DO schools. My stats are above average for DO but average for MD low-tier. I would rather have a medical degree than no degree and have to re-apply. However, I am somewhat concerned that if I become interested in specialized medicine, especially surgery, that I will have a more challenging path ahead of me with a DO compared to an MD. I have shadowed surgeons and primary care physicians, and surgery was by by far my favorite field to observe (doesn't mean I'd make a great surgeon, but who knows?) I am not suggesting that I know for a fact that I am going to pursue surgery or specialized care. My point is an MD gives me more options for career paths and a higher chance of residency placement, although this is likely going to become balanced between the two careers over the coming years.

Is this sound rationale for pursuing an MD over a DO? Conversely, a DO may be a better choice for primary care and I will have a much better chance at entering a DO program than an MD (of course this applies to most applicants).

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know, to be a successful medical student, it does help to be able to use "search" functions.

And you already answered your question.

Next?

Seems the MD vs DO debate touches a few nerves... If my doctor asked me "Did you try to google your symptoms instead of wasting my time?" I would not be inclined to take his professional opinion seriously. But perhaps we can get an answer to the question: is there any reason to pursue a DO if I have a decent chance of getting accepted to an MD school? And if not, why would DO adcomms believe anyone who says anything other than "...because I couldn't get into an MD program", when asked "Why do you want to pursue a DO?"

Reactions: 2 users
Seems the MD vs DO debate touches a few nerves... If my doctor asked me "Did you try to google your symptoms instead of wasting my time?" I would not be inclined to take his professional opinion seriously.

Diagnosis is specific to a patient. Your thread is just a typical MD vs DO thread that has been discussed many times before. See the thread i linked above for more info

Reactions: 1 user
:beat:

This thread is beating a dead horse, right in his butt.

I'm starting to think that the people creating these MD vs DO threads are simply attention ****** who already know the answer to their question...

Here's my $0.02. Ask any kid who wants to be a doctor the question as old as time, "What do you wanna be when you grow up?" Now think about this, how many simply answer, "Doctor"? Now think about this, how many answer, "An MD, but definitely not a DO"?

If you want to specialize and end up not having the opportunity, blame yourself, not your degree.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm starting to think that the people creating these MD vs DO threads are simply attention ****** who already know the answer to their question...

Here's my $0.02. Ask any kid who wants to be a doctor the question as old as time, "What do you wanna be when you grow up?" Now think about this, how many simply answer, "Doctor"? Now think about this, how many answer, "An MD, but definitely not a DO"?

If you want to specialize and end up not having the opportunity, blame yourself, not your degree.
To be fair, I didn't know what a DO was until I was applying to med school. And I don't want to be a doctor. I want to be a doctor in a specialty I enjoy. I don't know what that specialty is yet, but MD gives you the most flexibility in getting where you want to go.

OP, apply MD. If you don't get in, fix your app, apply MD/DO

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
To be fair I think actually finding the right thread on SDN to answer OPs questions in hard using search alone. Most of what you find is flame wars and stupid premeds ranting about things they don't understand. Lawper provided a good one though, read that.

One thing that doesn't get touched on often is that not all DO schools are created equal. Their regulations are fairly lax, so quality education is less of a sure thing with many DOs. By the same token Id choose some of the better DO schools over the bottom of the barrel, new MD schools (looking at you, Northstate).

If you were to face such a debate, I would suggest looking as objectively as possible at the schools in question.

How old are they, do they have connections to the residency world that will help you match when the time comes?

How are the rotation sites, do they have a dedicated teaching hospital and sites that have been fine tuned over long periods of time?

PRICE...I've seen some DO schools charge a pretty penny for tuition since they're largely private and unendowed.

How do the administrations stack up? Do they come off like massive pricks who will be a pain to work with for 4 years?

And finally, other lifestyle stuff. Having a support system/family nearby is super important to some people.

I'm sure there are others but those are potential deciding factors I could see swaying a decision between MD and DO.

Reactions: 3 users
We should have a sticky for MD vs DO. with the pros and cons of each.

but knowing SDN, we'll still have threads about it.

Reactions: 1 users

This entire post is dripping in veracity. Kudos to someone who gets it.

A lot of my students are MD caliber but are happy to come to my school because it's closer to home, and they know our students match well, and get a good education.

Some of them actually like the [purported] differences between DOs and MDs. Others have had medical issues that Mds could help them with but DOs did.

We know that people try the MD route first. We don't take it personally.

is there any reason to pursue a DO if I have a decent chance of getting accepted to an MD school? And if not, why would DO adcomms believe anyone who says anything other than "...because I couldn't get into an MD program", when asked "Why do you want to pursue a DO?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised this thread made it 2 hours without being shut down.... :beat::beat::beat:

is there any reason to pursue a DO if I have a decent chance of getting accepted to an MD school? And if not, why would DO adcomms believe anyone who says anything other than "...because I couldn't get into an MD program", when asked "Why do you want to pursue a DO?"

Ugh, this just screams you have a serious knowledge deficit in what a DO curriculum entails. They are equivalent in education, obviously, but ever heard of OMM?

Also, reality check: some people prefer going to DOs over MDs, and vice versa. Maybe try figuring out why... No one wants to give you a handout on here because the route of research for this question is so painfully clear.

Last edited:
I was accepted to both, chose DO for family/location reasons.

Put it this way, pretty much all MD schools are more or less equal -- as far as perceived quality of education by PDs. This is not the same for DO schools. There are only a minority of programs that offer comparable clinical training, but the majority that don't force many PDs to ignore DOs entirely. It's just too much of a risk for them; why gamble on DOs when MDs are a proven commodity?

Honestly, it's a little embarrassing how raw some DOs are out of med school, some of them claim to only have been allowed to watch for their clinical years -- basically glorified shadowing experiences.

That said, there are still DOs in every single specialty and there are some damn good DO schools out there, every bit as good as many MD schools. If you go the DO route I would encourage you to do A LOT of research about the schools you apply to; there are some real rats that had no business being accredited and bring down the entire degree.

Last edited:
I was accepted to both, chose DO for family/location reasons.

Put it this way, pretty much all MD schools are more or less equal -- as far as perceived quality of education by PDs. This is not the same for DO schools. There are only a minority of programs that offer comparable clinical training, but the majority that don't force many PDs to ignore DOs entirely. It's just too much of a risk for them; why gamble on DOs when MDs are a proven commodity?

Honestly, it's a little embarrassing how raw some DOs are out of med school; some of them claim to only have been allowed to watch for their clinical years -- basically glorified shadowing experiences.

That said, there are still DOs in every single speciality and there are some damn good DO schools out there, every bit as good as many MD schools. If you go the DO route I would encourage you to do A LOT of research about the schools you apply to; there are some real rats that had no business being accredited and bring down the entire degree.

Great response, thank you!

There is a difference b/w being a doctor and being a doctor in the specialty you chose.

Being a doctor in a specialty you do not like doesn't sound enjoyable. I don't know which specialty I will enjoy most, so I want to give myself the most opportunities I can to match into any field. I don't want to just be a doctor; I want to be a doctor who enjoys their career, whether I end up loving family medicine or neurosurg.

It depends on what schools you are applying for. Check out their match list, avg board scores, etc etc. If you go to a lower tier MD school that doesn't prepare you well for boards, it doesn't matter if you have that MD after your name. You can go to a good DO school and get a great board score and be more competitive even with a DO after your name. An MD student with a 200 board score vs a DO student with a 250 board score...now does the DO/MD matter after their name? <---not saying your MD school will really be that inadequate at preparing for boards or that you will be super well prepared for boards at a DO school===> all MD and DO schools are not all crated equal. But I do know many people who chose a great DO school over a low tier MD school.

P.S. I shadowed the head of cardiovascular surgery in my city and a top diagnostic radiologist, both were DOs

Being a DO doesn't prevent you from any specialty, you might have to work a little harder, but that can be said about a low tier MD school as well. And of course you might not even have this problem if you don't get into a med school at all. If you're worried about your chances, I would apply to both.

Ugh, this just screams you have a serious knowledge deficit in what a DO curriculum entails. They are equivalent in education, obviously, but ever heard of OMM?

Also, reality check: some people prefer going to DOs over MDs, and vice versa. Maybe try figuring out why... No one wants to give you a handout on here because the route of research for this question is so painfully clear.

Isn't that the point of this thread? No need for unnecessary caustic comments such as this.

To reiterate the few helpful comments on this thread OP, you will have much better chances matching into any specialty as an MD. The DO philosophy does offer the OMM model, but many debate whether that additional education is truly useful at the end of the day. If you are dead set on going primary care, you will not have an issue with either degree. A majority of DO students match into primary care. If you are looking to maximize flexibility, go MD.

Isn't that the point of this thread? No need for unnecessary caustic comments such as this.

As stated by other members, this question has been answered numerous times prior. There's no need for it to be answered again.

And, to be frank, there's never a need for causticity. I simply chose to take that approach in my reply. Just like you chose to be offended by it.

It depends on what schools you are applying for. Check out their match list, avg board scores, etc etc. If you go to a lower tier MD school that doesn't prepare you well for boards, it doesn't matter if you have that MD after your name. You can go to a good DO school and get a great board score and be more competitive even with a DO after your name. An MD student with a 200 board score vs a DO student with a 250 board score...now does the DO/MD matter after their name? <---not saying your MD school will really be that inadequate at preparing for boards or that you will be super well prepared for boards at a DO school===> all MD and DO schools are not all crated equal. But I do know many people who chose a great DO school over a low tier MD school.

P.S. I shadowed the head of cardiovascular surgery in my city and a top diagnostic radiologist, both were DOs

Being a DO doesn't prevent you from any specialty, you might have to work a little harder, but that can be said about a low tier MD school as well. And of course you might not even have this problem if you don't get into a med school at all. If you're worried about your chances, I would apply to both.

This whole post is wrong. Extremely misinformed. Suggesting that US MD schools that get less NIH funding (lower on the US news rankings) have inferior pre-clinical education is laughable and a non-sequiter. Every US MD school teaches the same stuff in the pre-clinical years albeit in different ways but all are sanctioned by the LCME. There are students who do exceptionally well and a few who fail at every school. It comes down to your ability, work ethic, etc for the most part.

Another ridiculous claim in this post is this notion that pre-meds cling to that step 1 is the ultimate equalizer. That DO with a 250 step 1 is still gonna feel the hurt of being a DO in the match because his application was immediately filtered out at many programs while the PD is inviting the US MD with a 230 to interview. Sorry, that's just reality.

If you choose DO school over US MD just because it is "low tier" then you're not making good life decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP a lot of this depends on your stats too. Over 50,000 apps were sent out to MD schools last year and I believe less than 50% of the kids were accepted. Why? Because they want the coveted MD and just don't have the stats for it. MD schools are very stat driven. DO schools are more personable. You will notice a DO is usually much more personable than a MD. (my opinion, it's because they're so book smart they have no communication skills lol) Or in my experience at least.

You need to look at your stats and decide do I want to be a doctor no matter the degree or are you not going to be happy with the initials at the end of your name if you're not a MD. Once you decide that, the path just got a little easier

Good Luck

This whole post is wrong. Extremely misinformed. Suggesting that US MD schools that get less NIH funding (lower on the US news rankings) have inferior pre-clinical education is laughable and a non-sequiter. Every US MD school teaches the same stuff in the pre-clinical years albeit in different ways but all are sanctioned by the LCME. There are students who do exceptionally well and a few who fail at every school. It comes down to your ability, work ethic, etc for the most part.

Another ridiculous claim in this post is this notion that pre-meds cling to that step 1 is the ultimate equalizer. That DO with a 250 step 1 is still gonna feel the hurt of being a DO in the match because his application was immediately filtered out at many programs while the PD is inviting the US MD with a 230 to interview. Sorry, that's just reality.

If you choose DO school over US MD just because it is "low tier" then you're not making good life decisions.

Hmm... suppose the DO system is eliminated. Won't the top-tier DO schools be converted into good mid-tier MD schools? Or is that taking things too far? I could see some of the top ones becoming like UC Irvine for example.

OP a lot of this depends on your stats too. Over 50,000 apps were sent out to MD schools last year and I believe less than 50% of the kids were accepted. Why? Because they want the coveted MD and just don't have the stats for it. MD schools are very stat driven. DO schools are more personable. You will notice a DO is usually much more personable than a MD. (my opinion, it's because they're so book smart they have no communication skills lol) Or in my experience at least.

Opinion or not, this is a blatantly false statement to make.

Opinion or not, this is a blatantly false statement to make.

There are several MD schools that are totally stat driven whether they are clear about it or not. I've seen it happen and continue to see it happen, i've seen total a**holes who are 21 and extremely book smart get into MD schools because they were smart and single mothers get into DO schools because they had to take their kid to the doctor the day before an Orgo exam and they got a C on the test and in the course. Its all up to individual interpretation and school.

Oh and by the way an opinion is a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Therefore it may be a false statement but it is still by definition my opinion and what may be false to you is true to others not in your situation.

There are several MD schools that are totally stat driven whether they are clear about it or not. I've seen it happen and continue to see it happen, i've seen total a**holes who are 21 and extremely book smart get into MD schools because they were smart and single mothers get into DO schools because they had to take their kid to the doctor the day before an Orgo exam and they got a C on the test and in the course. Its all up to individual interpretation and school.

Oh and by the way an opinion is a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Therefore it may be a false statement but it is still by definition my opinion and what may be false to you is true to others not in your situation.

Name some of these schools.

Hmm... suppose the DO system is eliminated. Won't the top-tier DO schools be converted into good mid-tier MD schools? Or is that taking things too far? I could see some of the top ones becoming like UC Irvine for example.
Just my opinion, but I don't agree. The better regarded DO schools have on average a 67th percentile MCAT vs 88th percentile for the average MD school, which is a pretty large difference. And I think the things that make a school mid-tier are 1) having a designated academic med center 2) having a decent amount of research funding 3) having clinical rotations sites all be within 40 mins of the school (the exception being schools like Dartmouth) 4) Having class sizes that don't exceed 200 by too much.

I would say if DO schools were made MD, they would be in the same category as Rosalind, TCMC, Netter, and Drexel. Which doesn't mean you won't get a great education there and go on to a great career, but I wouldn't say mid-tier.

@PossibleDOC? The point Lawper was making was that you are making complete generalizations. For example, I know a DO spinal surgeon who is totally one of those rich arrogant doctors. Does that mean that DOs are much more arrogant? No. There are personable MDs and personable DOs and antisocial MDs and antisocial DOs.

Stop generalizing MD students and grads to be "booksmarts", especially when you are using "booksmarts" in a very pejorative manner.

Assessing sociability of MD vs DO is even worse.

DOs focus on the whole search function, whereas MDs primarily focus on the search results.

So you saw people who were smart go to MD schools and people who made C's go to DO school, huh? That's called reality and we've all seen it. You kind of sound resentful toward MDs for some reason. You realize MDs didn't make you go to DO school, right?

I personally love certain DO schools and have personal reasons for wanting to learn omm besides doing well in an interview, but it makes much more sense to go to a cheap state MD school any day of the week. You can be an awesome doc from anywhere. After residency, none of it matters. But pre-residency you're doing yourself a disservice by not going MD if you can.

PS: I'm one of those that would prefer DO over MD, but I definitely acknowledge that it's not the best decision for most. I just wanted to do what I wanted to do because it's too big of an investment to not do what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MD schools are very stat driven. DO schools are more personable. You will notice a DO is usually much more personable than a MD. (my opinion, it's because they're so book smart they have no communication skills lol) Or in my experience at least.

You're free to believe whatever helps you accept your personal shortcomings and inability to achieve your goals. We've heard it all here from DO admissions is more holistic to DO is MD+ to MDs are robotic. You do you my friend.

I don't know what top tier do school means but they would all be considered low tier. UCI is good because it's in california.

Actually, UC I WAS a DO school in the past! Fascinating story.

I don't know what top tier do school means but they would all be considered low tier. UCI is good because it's in california.
Actually, UC I WAS a DO school in the past! Fascinating story.
That's why he mentioned that school specifically

The UC Irvine story is a bit complicated. It formed as a merger of two CA DO schools that converted to MD when the California Osteopathic Association merged with California Medical Association in 1960s and became LCME accredited (the school joined the UC system in late 1960s)

Umfortunately, the 1960s were a bad time for DOs because of an apparent controversial anti-DO purge that happened. The account is still debated today because both sides seem to sensationalize it, especially by the anti-MD DO radicals.

Regardless, with the upcoming ACGME/AOA residency merger, the future of DO is in question, so one theory is the complete DO conversion to MD as DO schools proceed to be evaluated by LCME.

By top tier DO schools, i'm referring to those with high MCAT medians hovering around 30-31. These schools seem to provide a lot of support and resources for their students, and the LCME assessment/guidelines will help them strengthen a lot clinically. So i expect these schools (i.e. PCOM, KCUMB, Touros etc.) to become good MD schools like UC Irvine.

Sadly, the questionable DO schools like LUCOM will probably get wiped out by the LCME and be forced to shut down. But in the long term, it seems to be a significant overall net benefit for both MD and DO schools.

My 0.02 from what i read. Please correct me on any mistakes i made since i'm still learning how these things work.

Two schools? I thought it was one. For those of you who know the story, one has to admire the ruthlessness of the California MDs who almost destroyed Osteopathy in CA in the 1960s.

For the foreseeable future, LCME has zero authority over the DO schools.

I disagree that the DO degree is in any danger, even with the merger. Rather, Do will probably fill Primary Care, and MDs fill the specialties. This is how both IU and MUCOM think doctor training in the state of Indiana will be, and they're both happy with the notion.

All I can tell you that this will be long after I turn Professor Emeritus.

The UC Irvine story is a bit complicated. It formed as a merger of two CA DO schools that converted to MD when the California Osteopathic Association merged with California Medical Association in 1960s and became LCME accredited (the school joined the UC system in late 1960s)

Umfortunately, the 1960s were a bad time for DOs because of an apparent controversial anti-DO purge that happened. The account is still debated today because both sides seem to sensationalize it, especially by the anti-MD DO radicals.

Regardless, with the upcoming ACGME/AOA residency merger, the future of DO is in question, so one theory is the complete DO conversion to MD as DO schools proceed to be evaluated by LCME.

By top tier DO schools, i'm referring to those with high MCAT medians hovering around 30-31. These schools seem to provide a lot of support and resources for their students, and the LCME assessment/guidelines will help them strengthen a lot clinically. So i expect these schools (i.e. PCOM, KCUMB, Touros etc.) to become good MD schools like UC Irvine.

Sadly, the questionable DO schools like LUCOM will probably get wiped out by the LCME and be forced to shut down. But in the long term, it seems to be a significant overall net benefit for both MD and DO schools.

My 0.02 from what i read. Please correct me on any mistakes i made since i'm still learning how these things work.

Please correct me on any mistakes i made since i'm still learning how these things work.
This may be splitting hairs, but PCOM and KCUMB have 27-28 MCAT averages (a 28 is 66th percentile, 30 is 79th, and 32 is 88th). The Touro's have 30s (I don't know about the CA Touro- which is probably good because of it's long history, but the one in NY has that average because of it's location).

Two schools? I thought it was one. For those of you who know the story, one has to admire the ruthlessness of the California MDs who almost destroyed Osteopathy in CA in the 1960s.

For the foreseeable future, LCME has zero authority over the DO schools.

I disagree that the DO degree is in any danger, even with the merger. Rather, Do will probably fill Primary Care, and MDs fill the specialties. This is how both IU and MUCOM think doctor training in the state of Indiana will be, and they're both happy with the notion.

All I can tell you that this will be long after I turn Professor Emeritus.
I'm feeling kind of emeritus today.

This may be splitting hairs, but PCOM and KCUMB have 27-28 MCAT averages (a 28 is 66th percentile, 30 is 79th, and 32 is 88th). The Touro's have 30s (I don't know about the CA Touro- which is probably good because of it's long history, but the one in NY has that average because of it's location).

Yep, the avg accepted Mcat at KCU last year was a 29 something. This year it's a 30-31). The avg matriculated mcat last year was a 27-28, this year it's a 28-29. This is probably b/c a lot of intended matriculants (with high mcat) booked it when they were pulled of a wait list somewhere else.

If there was an LCME assessment of KCU I feel like the school would get wiped out or at least there would be a huge change to class size. There's already two MD schools in the city (UKansas and UMKC) and the squeeze for clinical rotations in KC is so bad most know to just jump ship and go to a different clinical rotation site in a different state.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile