RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love fireworks.

The one friend that I have who's currently still in town flaked on me, so I went by myself (even though I usually hate going places alone) and it was actually really nice. I didn't feel pressured to make idle conversation, which would have been painful because all I'd have to talk about would be cute little baby birds that I spent half the day feeding--interesting to me, but said friend's eyes started to glaze over the last time I told her about that--while volunteering at a wildlife rehab place. I saw this kid I know from a therapeutic riding facility I also volunteer at and he was shocked that I actually came 'cause he'd told me about it. Every once in a while, I enjoy doing things that startle people. The fireworks were super fun. The bright sparkly lights in the sky make up for the bursts of loud noise.

Afterwards, it took like half an hour to get out of the parking lot, which I was kind of expecting. But I'm good at keeping myself entertained in the car. I turned the radio up and sang and danced along--something I usually reserve for the freeway. Got a few smiles and a bunch of weird looks from people waiting in line to get out along with me, which was entertaining.

So. Long story short: Surprises, fireworks, and dancing in my car combined to make a really fun evening for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Fireworks are wicked. I love them so much. This year we went to an area overlooking some water to watch a public show, and off to the side you had a storm bank rolling in so at times you'd have a firework go off and then a crackling of lightening right next to it. Mother nature wasn't going to be shown up by our pitiful displays of light! She needs more color though...we got her beat there.

I should rave though, about how happy I have been since January when I finally officially detangled myself from the flaming wreckage of my last relationship (in my brain, it was over at least a year prior). It wasn't him, at all, but I have come to really really appreciate having my own time be...my own. And not having to answer to anyone.

I feel like I get to be me again. Not some subdued version of me. And it's freaking awesome!

My "detanglement" came just 3 months ago... and not my choice. (the jerk literally broke up with me the same day I found out I got into UF's vet school - after 2+ years of being together). But now, after putting a lot of pieces back together and having taken some time (as stupid as it sounds) to "find me," I realize it was one of the best things that could have EVER happened...

Talk about blessings in disguise.
I'm thankful to be starting this amazing journey with my heart open and wonderful friends.

I also feel like I get to be me again - I can't even begin to explain how amazing that is :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
My "detanglement" came just 3 months ago... and not my choice. (the jerk literally broke up with me the same day I found out I got into UF's vet school - after 2+ years of being together). But now, after putting a lot of pieces back together and having taken some time (as stupid as it sounds) to "find me," I realize it was one of the best things that could have EVER happened...

Talk about blessings in disguise.
I'm thankful to be starting this amazing journey with my heart open and wonderful friends.

I also feel like I get to be me again - I can't even begin to explain how amazing that is :love:

Funny...same thing happened to me this year too. I was dating this guy for a while who I cared for, but had to sort of be "someone else" for....Really crazy was that I ALLOWED myself to be someone else for him! We had a rough go of it for various reasons, and a few months back he made some crazy accusations and dumped me. I sort of sat there in shock, and awe...and realized I couldn't care less. I had given up SO MUCH of myself there was nothing left to give.

Since then I've rediscovered this crazy, vibrant, wonderful version of myself that I put in the background while I was both married and then in this relationship. I'm so excited to be ME again!

(ETA- I'm not sure I used "crazy" enough in that post...So let me put it in one more time. CRAZY!!)

double post deleted

Last edited:
Life is so good right now :love:

1. Last week, I 'moved' back to Hilton Head Island, SC where I lived for 14 years and will be here for 5 weeks until I leave the US of A. It's so great to spend time with family, friends and old acquaintances.

2. I hooked up with my cherished vet here to get my bingos' EU Vet Certs completed and scheduled two dentals for today. I never worked for him, but he let me observe and actually assist with holding for an intubation. Big steps for me since I have zero SA clinical experience.

3. Same vet above offered for me to come in whenever I want, until I leave, to learn some procedures and just take in as much as I can. He is awesome and would've been a great mentor. I wish I would have worked for him while I lived here.

4. Dental cleanings went fantastic. One of my boys had trouble last year with the anesthesia, so I was a basket of nerves this morning. Thank you Saint Francis!

5. Even as an old fart going to vet school, I have amazing support and love from my family, friends and business relationships.

I am truly lucky.

Last edited:
1. I got to see a necropsy at work the other night after hours. I clocked out to watch. I got to touch everything and disect out the heart and lungs a little bit more. The best part was that the doctor let me suture the dog back up to go to cremation. I definitely need more experience with that part but it was the coolest thing I've done in a long time.

2. Today I started working in surgery again and it's been several years since I've put in catheters and intubated and I did it today on an older large dog with no problems. It was a huge confidence boost!

3. This weekend I start working our monthly ortho clinic with a board certified surgeon from a vet school! It's going to be great experience and maybe even a great place to get a LOR!

In one week I will be in NYC seeing my brother and sister-in-law who I have not seen in three years! I can't wait :)

Life is so good right now :love:

1. Last week, I 'moved' back to Hilton Head Island, SC where I lived for 14 years and will be here for 5 weeks until I leave the US of A. It's so great to spend time with family, friends and old acquaintances.

My mom and stepdad got married there three years ago - rented a house on the beach and everything. It was a really nice place. :)

I have really missed the Lowcountry. Problem is...it's really, really hard to find someone 'normal' here to date/marry/shack up with. Seems like they are all beach bums in disguise as golf pros, bartenders, real estate agents, restaurant owners...etc. Not that there is anything wrong with those professions (i married a golf pro), just a very laid back, almost non-professional atmosphere.

Now, if I could come back, work for my awesome vet for a bit and then buy his practice....well.....then, i probably could be talked into moving back :D

Back to our regulary scheduled RAVING.....

Finally found a place to do my pre-exp rabies! Only took ~10 phone calls. *facepalm* In other news, they don't take insurance...so goodbye summer paychecks ($900!!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took my fourth GRE practice test out of my book. I'm up to a 1300! My first practice test was something like an 900, so the fact that I've come this far is just so encouraging to me. I'm really going to need a good score to even out my GPA, but it's looking like I can pull off something decent! Plus I still have two (maybe more? book is awesome) tests to take and two more weeks to study. Here's to hoping it all pans out!

I just took my fourth GRE practice test out of my book. I'm up to a 1300! My first practice test was something like an 900, so the fact that I've come this far is just so encouraging to me. I'm really going to need a good score to even out my GPA, but it's looking like I can pull off something decent! Plus I still have two (maybe more? book is awesome) tests to take and two more weeks to study. Here's to hoping it all pans out!

Congrats! What all have you been doing to prepare? My test is in 7 weeks and I'm feeling really unmotivated to study much, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Congrats! What all have you been doing to prepare? My test is in 7 weeks and I'm feeling really unmotivated to study much, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Thanks :) I started at Number2.com, which was actually recommended by someone here. They have practice questions, which I went through. Then they have like, endless vocabulary which is helpful. I also bought a book by ETS that has like, six practice tests in it (actual old GREs, so I think that's good) which I've been working through, using my strategies/vocab from the website. So far, so good. Good luck on yours!

Rumor has it that the GRE practice tests are harder than the real ones. Or that's my understanding. Never took the practice tests lol.

Didn't want it pre-disposing me to a bad score, ala "well I did bad on the practice test so it doesn't really matter if I pick a or b cause I'm going to do horrible anyway, so 'a'" when thinking about it for about 2 seconds longer would've given me the right answer.

Rumor has it that the GRE practice tests are harder than the real ones. Or that's my understanding. Never took the practice tests lol.

Didn't want it pre-disposing me to a bad score, ala "well I did bad on the practice test so it doesn't really matter if I pick a or b cause I'm going to do horrible anyway, so 'a'" when thinking about it for about 2 seconds longer would've given me the right answer.

I hope the rumors are true! I'm a little skeptical though, because since I bought the book put out by ETS, the practice tests are actually old GREs. So maybe Princeton/Kaplan practice tests are harder? Either way, I see your point :p

I hope the rumors are true! I'm a little skeptical though, because since I bought the book put out by ETS, the practice tests are actually old GREs. So maybe Princeton/Kaplan practice tests are harder? Either way, I see your point :p

I studied with the Kaplan books and consistently got under 600 on the quant section, then I got a 750 when I took it. Maybe i just got lucky though!

I studied with the Kaplan books and consistently got under 600 on the quant section, then I got a 750 when I took it. Maybe i just got lucky though!

That makes me feel so much better. I thought I was pretty decent at math (got like a 690 on my SATs in that section) and then I'm taking the Kaplan tests and I'm getting ~600, which isn't such a bad score but the percentile is awful.

1) I got a raise at work and my boss gave me a wonderful review!:)
2)I got my first rabies vaccine today for FREE! and the rest of the series is FREE! military brat:love:

Got an 18/20 on my first orgo quiz of the semester (read: retake)!!!! Soooo pumped.:D

Really random, but are you under Tricare?
Yes, I am. My father is retired military, so I can still receive healthcare without having to pay a copay. I'm so grateful!:)

Yay for free rabies vaccinations!! I got mine (and titers) through occupational health services at UCDavis for free, since my job at the VMTH occasionally involves handling brain tissue & CSF. :)

Well, to provide some continuity with my rant on the first page of the rant thread - I wasn't able to be fitted with a hybrid lens in my left eye. However, the optometrist there had another suggestion for me. For two weeks now I have been wearing a scleral contact lens on that eye, and it is amazing! I was really skeptical at first. The thing is HUGE and inserting and removing it takes some practice and some time, but it is SO worth it to be able to see!

The end is in sight for my thesis, I got my vet school laptop and I'm finally getting excited to start! Wooo!!!

Performing my last experiment ever at my lab today. Friday is my last day and I enjoy my job and coworkers (most of the time ;)) so a bittersweet rave.

Next stop....VET SCHOOL!

Started gathering stuff together to move in a couple weeks. Soon, it begins!

Took home an adorable 3 month old orange tabby who has been living at the hospital for the last month. He had been brought in as a stray to my clinic and we have these rich people who will sponsor some animals each year... this kitty had been attacked by dogs to the point where his femur was sticking out, he had a ton of really deep infected bite wounds all over his body, muscle was exposed, and a lot of tissue was necrotic. He was lucky enough to get all expenses paid for, so after major surgery and a ton of meds and wound care, he's finally almost ready to find a good home. He's the sweetest little thing ever, constantly purring and so tolerant of anything at all that people do to him. But he's spent the last month thinking that the world = a cage, and he also hasn't had the chance to move around too much so his limp is pretty bad. I took him home tonight for a few days to get him socialized and walking around and used to big places. Loving having a purring ball of fluff with me (though my dog is pretty jealous)! I can't keep him, but this little guy always makes me smile when I pass him at work, and it's so awesome to have him at home for a few days. :)

Passed my ALAT certification test today! :D

Congratulations! I just passed my LAT certification last month! Yay for AALAS!

My rave is company picnic tomorrow at work! Getting paid for hanging out in the sunshine, woot!

But he's spent the last month thinking that the world = a cage, and he also hasn't had the chance to move around too much so his limp is pretty bad. I took him home tonight for a few days to get him socialized and walking around and used to big places.

Careful there. My coworker is constantly raising kittens, and somebody had dropped off a 3 week old kitten. She raised her, and kept her at work in the cage bank once she was old enough. Whenever a client would come back to look at her, they'd pick her up, and she would scream, and bite and claw. We tried to socialize her as much as possible, but it pretty much ended up with her caged all the time except for opening, closing and lunch breaks. Finally, she was about 4 months old, nobody wanted her, and she'd been spending way too much of her life in a cage. I decided to take her home "for the weekend" so she could have some much needed time to run around. Its a year later and she's still here. Oops. And her being a jerk whenever anybody tried to hold her? Totally went away as soon as she realized that cages were no longer a part of her life.

Careful there. My coworker is constantly raising kittens, and somebody had dropped off a 3 week old kitten. She raised her, and kept her at work in the cage bank once she was old enough. Whenever a client would come back to look at her, they'd pick her up, and she would scream, and bite and claw. We tried to socialize her as much as possible, but it pretty much ended up with her caged all the time except for opening, closing and lunch breaks. Finally, she was about 4 months old, nobody wanted her, and she'd been spending way too much of her life in a cage. I decided to take her home "for the weekend" so she could have some much needed time to run around. Its a year later and she's still here. Oops. And her being a jerk whenever anybody tried to hold her? Totally went away as soon as she realized that cages were no longer a part of her life.

Oh, I want to keep him pretty badly, but my allergies are flaring up pretty badly with him around, so I think that will stop me from adopting. I also have built up the resistance from all the dogs I've fostered. He's the sweetest thing and still trying to hide when I give him big open spaces, but I'm sure he'll get used to it pretty soon - he's easy to bribe out from under the bed with toys. He purrs nonstop when anyone opens his cage door at work, so I'm sure he'll adopt out really quickly as soon as we spread the word. For now, though, I'm loving having this purr ball in my lap.

I will never, ever have to do an ochem lab again. I'm still not sure I'll pull off a C in lecture, but at least I'm done with lab forever.

And yesterday I was approved to sit for the VTNE.

And I just found G2 in the soda fountain at 7-11.

Congratulations! I just passed my LAT certification last month! Yay for AALAS!

My rave is company picnic tomorrow at work! Getting paid for hanging out in the sunshine, woot!

Congratulations! My boss wanted me to take the LAT but I told him I'd start out with the ALAT and if that went well (which it did :D) I'd look into LAT. Is it much harder than the ALAT?

I would like to rave for a bit ;):

- My dissertation is done and off to my committee! Thank goodness that's over with. Now I just have to buckle down and study for my defense

- I ordered my stethoscope today!!

- I tried the Sevin Nyne self-tanning lotion and I am not orange!! Just nicely, slightly brown. and it didn't smell bad or make a mess.

- I just saw Inception and it. was. amazing! Definitely made it into my top 10 movies list. Will have to buy it when it comes out for sure. :love:

Congratulations! My boss wanted me to take the LAT but I told him I'd start out with the ALAT and if that went well (which it did :D) I'd look into LAT. Is it much harder than the ALAT?

I never did the ALAT, so I'm not sure, but I didn't find the LAT that bad. I just studied the material from the online Learning Library (even though it says not to rely solely on it). And since you already studied for the ALAT, you know all the stuff about the specific species which I had to study in addition, so you will probably pass it easily :) Good luck!

I would like to rave for a bit ;):

- My dissertation is done and off to my committee! Thank goodness that's over with. Now I just have to buckle down and study for my defense

- I ordered my stethoscope today!!

- I tried the Sevin Nyne self-tanning lotion and I am not orange!! Just nicely, slightly brown. and it didn't smell bad or make a mess.

- I just saw Inception and it. was. amazing! Definitely made it into my top 10 movies list. Will have to buy it when it comes out for sure. :love:

Way to go Geebee!
At one point I got worried you might decide to defer to Penn to finish up.

And just remember, the best defense is a good offense! Knock em dead!

Way to go Geebee!
At one point I got worried you might decide to defer to Penn to finish up.

And just remember, the best defense is a good offense! Knock em dead!

I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it a few times. But luckily everything is coming together nicely. My dissertation defense is July 28th and while it is coming up fast and will be scary and stressful, I've never heard of someone actually failing and I know that I will be fine. So yeah! I actually move down to philly officially next weekend! It's so much all at once but really exciting too!

:thumbup: I'm almost done!! Intro, lit review, methods, most of results and some of discussion.....couple figures to tune up.... :D

YAY!! Congrats! There are so many little details that go into these things. I already noticed a couple little mistakes I'll have to correct before I submit it to be bound etc. I'm glad yours is wrapping up as well. It feels good to see it all come together...like 'hey!! I actually did a decent amount of work here!!':D

We had a monstrously severe thunderstorm roll through last night... super heavy rain, near-constant lightning, very strong winds, you name it. It was bad enough for my dog to wake me up (which he never does; he tried to merge with my hip) and for me to then make him sleep in his harness and make my cat sleep in his carrier.

Took my dog out this morning and found a gigantor branch in my yard.

Why is this a rave instead of a rant? Leaves from said branch are touching my shed and it is a mere 2 or 3 feet from the side of my not-quite-insured-yet trailer.

We had a monstrously severe thunderstorm roll through last night... super heavy rain, near-constant lightning, very strong winds, you name it. It was bad enough for my dog to wake me up (which he never does; he tried to merge with my hip) and for me to then make him sleep in his harness and make my cat sleep in his carrier.

Took my dog out this morning and found a gigantor branch in my yard.

Why is this a rave instead of a rant? Leaves from said branch are touching my shed and it is a mere 2 or 3 feet from the side of my not-quite-insured-yet trailer.

:thumbup: Same storm came through here. It knocked down part of my electric fence and my privacy fence and I had branches down all over, but there was no serious damage and my animals and I are all fine. :) Definitely worth raving about!

:thumbup: Same storm came through here. It knocked down part of my electric fence and my privacy fence and I had branches down all over, but there was no serious damage and my animals and I are all fine. :) Definitely worth raving about!

That was an insane storm. I'm glad to hear that you're all safe!

I'm a bit late on this rave, but it's been a crazy week. Last weekend we were at the opening weekend of a big Hunter/Jumper classic horse show in the area. Last year my horse was a nutcase at the show, and had worn himself out by day 3.
This year my horse was an absolute champ. He was all business from the go, apart from a bobble at a funny looking fence (Me: DUDE JUMP. Him: What? *puts feet down one more time* Oh.) We nearly made it into the second round of the Classic in a class of over 30 horses. A long way from our first show a few years ago, where his warmup involved snapping his lead shank and running in circles like a maniac! I am just so darn proud of how far we've come.

In another rave, I just finished two dogsitting jobs, both for clients I ADORE with lovely dogs, and made nearly 3/4 of a paycheck in a week. I love dogsitting.

In another rave, I just finished two dogsitting jobs, both for clients I ADORE with lovely dogs, and made nearly 3/4 of a paycheck in a week. I love dogsitting.

Me too! I make so much doing it! I book holidays often a year in advance. Its such a fun, stress-free way to make money.

Me too! I make so much doing it! I book holidays often a year in advance. Its such a fun, stress-free way to make money.

It's pretty much the greatest thing ever. I get almost all my clients through the SA clinic I work for, and then they refer me to their friends. We have 4 or 5 assistants/techs now who do petsitting so we can cover pretty much everything. SUCH a great way to make extra cash. My last two jobs also brought back souvenirs from their trips - mmm, saltwater taffy!