RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few new things from today...

- The gigantor branch from Sunday's storm took only half an hour and a small handsaw to dismantle into a pile as big or bigger than the front of my car.

- My tomato sproutlings were finally big enough (and survived long enough; I've been trying to grow some since the beginning of summer) to plant in my $2 topsy turvy planter.

- Thanks to food restriction, green beans for treats, and extra walks, my dog is down to 102lbs! He was 108 in the beginning of June :).

Members don't see this ad.

I had the most awesomest going away party....all 5 peeps left at my company came down to stay with me at the beach for 5 days. We partied like rockstars and laughed until our sides split open. Complete awesomeness. My 5 years with them ends next week.....unbelievable. (Wow, lots of 5's. Must play 555 in powerball)

I am going to be the most tan person ever in Scotland. :woot:

There is a frog stuck to my sliding glass door :eek:

I have two pooches asleep in little fur balls on me :love:

There is a frog stuck to my sliding glass door :eek:

Wait...what? Like a stuffed one with suction cups or an actual frog? Have you tried a spatula?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a picture of the frog, flyhi!

My raves:

1) My mom finally admitted that she is happier living with a dog.

2) I brought home a new dog today. I have never had so many people stop me to ask what kind of dog I have. She must be good lookin'...

3) The VIDA trip is getting so close I can taste it!

4) My fiance starts medical school next week.

5) I'm going to have the best in-laws ever, despite the fact they think I shouldn't have a dog while I'm in school... Like I'm going to wait 5+ years for that.

5) I'm going to have the best in-laws ever, despite the fact they think I shouldn't have a dog while I'm in school... Like I'm going to wait 5+ years for that.

I'd probably just tell them that a lot of people get through veterinary school with a dog (or dogs) and if you go in dogless there's a good chance you won't come out dogless. Or you could just smile and nod while petting your dog :)

Best day ever!!!

I came out of orgo II last semester with an abysmal D+.

Retaking it with a different professor during a 6 week summer session currently. I just got my first test back...and I got a 94!!!!!!!!!!! I'm dancing in the street, you have no idea! :D

I'd probably just tell them that a lot of people get through veterinary school with a dog (or dogs) and if you go in dogless there's a good chance you won't come out dogless. Or you could just smile and nod while petting your dog :)

Haha yeah I probably would have done that. Fortunately, my fiance, who agrees with his parents, understands my need for a little extra unconditional love and finally convinced them that I can and will take care of a dog.

Best day ever!!!

I came out of orgo II last semester with an abysmal D+.

Retaking it with a different professor during a 6 week summer session currently. I just got my first test back...and I got a 94!!!!!!!!!!! I'm dancing in the street, you have no idea! :D

That is awesome! Congrats!

4 GB LiveScribe pen for $85 at Target. Need I say more?

So yesterday was one of my best days ever. Went to the San Diego zoo with my boyfriend which was extra nice because I hadn't seen him since Monday due to his getting stuck at work late. Then in front of the lynx exhibit he asked me to marry him and I said yes!! Stayed at the zoo the rest of the day then went out to an amazing dinner in La Jolla. Best part is no parents freaked or pulled the you're too young card!!

So yesterday was one of my best days ever. Went to the San Diego zoo with my boyfriend which was extra nice because I hadn't seen him since Monday due to his getting stuck at work late. Then in front of the lynx exhibit he asked me to marry him and I said yes!! Stayed at the zoo the rest of the day then went out to an amazing dinner in La Jolla. Best part is no parents freaked or pulled the you're too young card!!

Wahoo!!!! Best wishes! (I read somewhere that it is rude to say congratulations to the woman, that is what you say to the man, and if I remember right, "best wishes" is the suggested phrase).

Wahoo!!!! Best wishes! (I read somewhere that it is rude to say congratulations to the woman, that is what you say to the man, and if I remember right, "best wishes" is the suggested phrase).

according to gilmore girls, that is true

Members don't see this ad :)

wonderful! did you know you can get married at the SD zoo/wild animal park?

Thanks guys! And we are not planning anything until he gets a job/finishes school but good to know about the zoo! And jamr0ckin, good luck with your dog!

Thanks guys! And we are not planning anything until he gets a job/finishes school but good to know about the zoo! And jamr0ckin, good luck with your dog!

:) Thank you so much! :)

I just got back from a Paul McCartney concert!! The man is amazing!! He played for nearly three hours and gave me a high that will last at least through the first semester of vet school! :D

I just got back from a Paul McCartney concert!! The man is amazing!! He played for nearly three hours and gave me a high that will last at least through the first semester of vet school! :D

2074194.jpg

Incidentally, I have Golden Slumbers going right now.

Having to leave my little 2 seat convertible on the streets of Philly, we decided to leave the top down rather than have someone rip up the soft top (which happened once in L.A. - and all they stole was some loose change - repair bill: $1000).

Unfortunately we forgot we are living in the East Coast where thunderstorms occur all the time in the afternoon in the summer, especially during a heat wave. Let's just say the next time it rains unexpectedly in L.A. in July will be when Nyanko becomes tolerant of ignorance!

Well, guess what happened this afternoon while we were out shopping for the new place? Well, of course, it poured out.

Oops this is the RAVE thread not the RANT thread.

Ah, but there is a happy end to the story. One of our neighbors who we could only have met yesterday, thoughtfully put the top back up for us. No drenched car, and a happy Philly story. Don't see those too often!

Yay Philly.

Sidenote: when we got to Philly and got off the PA turnpike, the absolutely first thing we heard was someone screaming a curse at another car for cutting him off at the toll-booth. Now THAT was more of what I was expecting!

I have discovered Oregon State University's online upper-division science classes. This means I may be able to take biochem next semester without altering up my work schedule! Yay!

I have a little bit of a rave to share!

I get my laser eye surgery tomorrow! This is a huge deal for me as I have been considered legally blind without glasses since I was 7 years old! I thought it would be several more years until I would be able to afford it. My awesome and wonderful parents surprised me one day and just called me out of the blue to tell me that they want to do this for me! My current prescription is -9.45 and -10.25.

Other than vet school there is nothing I wanted more than be able to see with my own eyes!

Having to leave my little 2 seat convertible on the streets of Philly, we decided to leave the top down rather than have someone rip up the soft top (which happened once in L.A. - and all they stole was some loose change - repair bill: $1000).

Unfortunately we forgot we are living in the East Coast where thunderstorms occur all the time in the afternoon in the summer, especially during a heat wave. Let's just say the next time it rains unexpectedly in L.A. in July will be when Nyanko becomes tolerant of ignorance!

Well, guess what happened this afternoon while we were out shopping for the new place? Well, of course, it poured out.

Ah, but there is a happy end to the story. One of our neighbors who we could only have met yesterday, thoughtfully put the top back up for us. No drenched car, and a happy Philly story. Don't see those too often!

Yay Philly.

Sidenote: when we got to Philly and got off the PA turnpike, the absolutely first thing we heard was someone screaming a curse at another car for cutting him off at the toll-booth. Now THAT was more of what I was expecting!

OMG such a cute story!! i'm glad your car made it to philly ok!! and no one got shot at walmart, again!! lol btw i was listening to the news last week and they were saying "well the heat has been increasing this whole month and you know what else has, crime! how police are sending more forces out to cut down on the increased crime this summer" great news

We are going out for drinks this Friday if you're available!

I have a little bit of a rave to share!

I get my laser eye surgery tomorrow! This is a huge deal for me as I have been considered legally blind without glasses since I was 7 years old! I thought it would be several more years until I would be able to afford it. My awesome and wonderful parents surprised me one day and just called me out of the blue to tell me that they want to do this for me! My current prescription is -9.45 and -10.25.

Other than vet school there is nothing I wanted more than be able to see with my own eyes!

I wish I was eligible for this! So happy for you and good luck!!

VeganSoprano-- I took that Biochem course from Oregon State online last summer and I acutally really enjoyed it! Best of luck.

Yay Philly.

That's amazing.
And my advice for Philadelphia is, don't flip people off while driving, even if they deserve it, because they will literally try to kill you. Other than that it's a nice place to live!:smuggrin:

Yessss. I just posted first on a LOLcats video. I feel so accomplished! :laugh:

I just got my One Note working (as im sure you all have read in other threads) but now i got this to happen: i imported a power point lecture and audio recorded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yayyyy!! Now i basically have what the smart pen does! :D

ps- i'm happy i am making new friends!!!

I passed my dissertation defense!

Just call me Dr. GellaBella (note: I will also respond to Dr. GeeBee)

;p

it feels awesome!

;p

it feels awesome!

Congratulations, Dr. GeeBee! :woot:

;p

it feels awesome!

Wow!!! Congratulations. :) You should be so proud of yourself!

Dr. Gella has a certain ring to it. I don't know what your RL name is but you should definitely just have people address you as Gella.

Dr. Gella has a certain ring to it. I don't know what your RL name is but you should definitely just have people address you as Gella.

Haha people do indeed call me gella... My friends and family at least

And SOV... after the move we've had I don't even want to unpack my own boxes let alone someone elses!!

Let me join in and say congratulations Dr. Gella. It should feel awesome.

My little rave in comparison: Today is my last day of work and I'm flying home tomorrow. Wooohoo!

Congrats Dr. Gella!

so a mini rave from me--today I saw a license plate-- hugavet--- which I suppose could be advice to hug a veteran, but I am taking to be advice to hug a veterinarian, esp in light of the dog bumper stickers. :) It just made me smile.

1) congrats dr. gella!

2) SOV, somehow I always pictured you with a convertible. maybe it's an LA thing ;)

3) I move in 2 days!!

2) SOV, somehow I always pictured you with a convertible. maybe it's an LA thing ;)

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, the cvt is my wife's car.

I used to drive a cool sports car. When its days were numbered I decided to spit in the face of the fancy car culture of L.A. and got a pick-up truck. I LOVED going to restaurants with valet parking in the truck. Sometimes they acted like the keys to the truck were infected with something they might catch. :laugh:

I have a 4 week old kitten sleeping on my lap and it's cute as a button. It was dropped off at our clinic this morning by a good sam. We were worried we'd have to send him to AC but knew he wouldn't make it because it needs an enucleation. One of the other techs decided to adopt him, he's getting his eye removed on Thursday. In the meanwhile, I get to foster him until he's healthy enough to go home with the other tech. <3

I have been a catheter setting queen this past month. I have gotten a cathether now into two small (under 5 pounds), old (11 and 13 years), yorkies. I also got a cathether into a 13 year old, 3.5 pound, dehydrated cat in renal failure (on one stick). A few days ago I got a catheter into a crooked, rolling, weird, sideways vein on a 9 year old beagle. And yesterday I was able to get a blood draw on the aggressive, alligator rolling, 4 pound chihuahua who was having an allergic reaction. All of this was after 2 weeks of not even being able to set a catheter in a vein the size of a great dane's or even being able to get a drop of blood even if my life depended on it.

I have been a catheter setting queen this past month. I have gotten a cathether now into two small (under 5 pounds), old (11 and 13 years), yorkies. I also got a cathether into a 13 year old, 3.5 pound, dehydrated cat in renal failure (on one stick). A few days ago I got a catheter into a crooked, rolling, weird, sideways vein on a 9 year old beagle. And yesterday I was able to get a blood draw on the aggressive, alligator rolling, 4 pound chihuahua who was having an allergic reaction. All of this was after 2 weeks of not even being able to set a catheter in a vein the size of a great dane's or even being able to get a drop of blood even if my life depended on it.

Nice! And isn't it funny how that works? You'll go through these awful dry spells of not being able to do anything with veins and then be an absolute champ. Or you'll have an animal that four techs and a doctor have tried to stick with no luck, then the last person on staff will give a try and nails it.

Found out this morning that I won a very nice scholarship! Whoo-hoo!