RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
image.jpeg

Check your Walmarts!!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: 4 users
Spicy Cajun shrimp mac and cheese. Putting my new double boiler to work. Taste-wise, not bad, though it wasn't nearly as spicy as I was hoping. Now I have food for the next two days.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Spicy Cajun shrimp mac and cheese. Putting my new double boiler to work. Taste-wise, not bad, though it wasn't nearly as spicy as I was hoping. Now I have food for the next two days.

Sounds good to me. I haven't made it a while (trying to eat healthy) but I like to make a mac n cheese from scratch and then throw in andouille sausage and jalapeños. Used smoked gouda and white cheddar as my cheese based. Made the mistake once of not adding the jalapeno seed to the sauce, which didn't yield enough heat.

Silly rave but, I finally found a place to live!!!!!! I've been so worried because basically all the housing is gone and everything is booked until summer next year, but I finally found a house with roommates that was ok living with a married couple! :soexcited:I'm just so grateful to finally have that figured out!

Reactions: 11 users
Silly rave but, I finally found a place to live!!!!!! I've been so worried because basically all the housing is gone and everything is booked until summer next year, but I finally found a house with roommates that was ok living with a married couple! :soexcited:I'm just so grateful to finally have that figured out!
@Coopah ... yaaaay, that's great news!

woohoo.gif

My fiance found a job today! He has been applying everywhere since January. I think I'm happier than he is lol.
I also found out I am graduating with High Distinction.
And I got coffee today.
Life is good. Two weeks of classes left, the end is in sight!
:clap:

Reactions: 11 users
I have and will continue to learn the most from people who expect the most of me. I appreciate the people in my life who have pushed me to the max to be better, because I am better for it. Critical thinking makes navigating life so much more rewarding when faced with challenges, and conquering with all the vengeance of a person full of self confidence, and the self confidence to acknowledge when input should be sought for the ultimate resolution.

Reactions: 5 users
My fiance found a job today! He has been applying everywhere since January. I think I'm happier than he is lol.
I also found out I am graduating with High Distinction.
And I got coffee today.
Life is good. Two weeks of classes left, the end is in sight!
:clap:
@amgoose319 ... that is wonderful news.

Congratulations to your fiance on his new job!

Congratulations to you on your upcoming graduation with High Distinction!
I'm sure you're both celebrating the good news for each other, and with each other! :highfive:

I have and will continue to learn the most from people who expect the most of me. I appreciate the people in my life who have pushed me to the max to be better, because I am better for it. Critical thinking makes navigating life so much more rewarding when faced with challenges, and conquering with all the vengeance of a person full of self confidence, and the self confidence to acknowledge when input should be sought for the ultimate resolution.
@Lupin21 ... said like a true champion, with much respect, dignity, confidence and clarity! Awesome! :)

@Lupin21 ... said like a true champion, with much respect, dignity, confidence and clarity! Awesome! :)
I wish more people understood this however. I fear that this type of mentorship is being lost. I was able to grow by leaps and bounds because I respected the people who taught me to be my own critic. Standards are a great thing to set, and then meet off of one's own determination. When I fell short, I reevaluated, sought my own weaknesses, and corrected the ship to bring myself to the destination I had set for myself. This would not have been possible without the experience of the captains before pointing out my weaknesses to overcome and the strengths I had to bring life into balance.

Reactions: 2 users
@amgoose319 ... that is wonderful news.

Congratulations to your fiance on his new job!

Congratulations to you on your upcoming graduation with High Distinction!
I'm sure you're both celebrating the good news for each other, and with each other! :highfive:
thank you!!

After a hellish week on-call, I've spent the last three nights cuddling on the couch with the housemate and the dog, drinking cider, and watching hockey. Bliss.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Today I performed 18 successful blood draws from lambs! I've drawn blood on lambs/ewes before, but this was the first time doing so without any help, and I felt like I was getting it a lot faster. Just a small reminder for me that I am headed toward the right profession. :biglove:

Reactions: 9 users
New inhaler! Now I don't have to worry about getting wheezy and ending up at the ER at two in the morning before my doctor's appointment next month. I'm hoping to get formally diagnosed with asthma, not that I want a chronic health condition, but it would be nice to get appropriate and continuous treatment that reduces my dependence on inhalers, urgent care centers, and emergency rooms.

Half of SDN has already heard about this, but whatever.

I did my first cystotomy since going out into practice on Friday... on a guinea pig. Seven years old. Who hadn't eaten properly in a week, moderate ileus, 14 bladder stones (one with a mucous plug attached down the urethra and I have no idea how he's been urinating) and, oh, is owned by the neighbor and good friend of my boss (who is currently out of town).

No pressure, right?

Surgery and anesthesia went fine, but the little jerk face wouldn't eat post-op. Spent an hour shoving critical care, cilantro and greens and bell pepper down his gullet last night, I'm off today so I exhibited appropriate work-life balance by sitting anxiously by my phone most of the morning hoping for a requested update from our techs. MISSED THE PHONE CALL, straight to voicemail when I called her back. Tried again and she updated me... HE IS EATING!!

I repeat, eating AND drinking, apparently mowing down his hay, greens and treats. Peeing and pooping. Not out of the woods yet and I'm probably jinxing myself by celebrating, but I'm not someone who gets super anxious about surgical patients (tend to be a "I've done my best and it's up to them from now on" sort of person) so the amount of stressing I've been doing over this little dude has been exhausting and I just want him to do well.

He's doing well. I'm so happy. Good piggy with a really sweet teenage owner.

Reactions: 31 users

I did my first cystotomy since going out into practice on Friday... on a guinea pig. Seven years old. Who hadn't eaten properly in a week, moderate ileus, 14 bladder stones (one with a mucous plug attached down the urethra and I have no idea how he's been urinating) and, oh, is owned by the neighbor and good friend of my boss (who is currently out of town).

No pressure, right?

Surgery and anesthesia went fine, but the little jerk face wouldn't eat post-op. Spent an hour shoving critical care, cilantro and greens and bell pepper down his gullet last night, I'm off today so I exhibited appropriate work-life balance by sitting anxiously by my phone most of the morning hoping for a requested update from our techs. MISSED THE PHONE CALL, straight to voicemail when I called her back. Tried again and she updated me... HE IS EATING!!

I repeat, eating AND drinking, apparently mowing down his hay, greens and treats. Peeing and pooping. Not out of the woods yet and I'm probably jinxing myself by celebrating, but I'm not someone who gets super anxious about surgical patients (tend to be a "I've done my best and it's up to them from now on" sort of person) so the amount of stressing I've been doing over this little dude has been exhausting and I just want him to do well. He's doing well. I'm so happy. Good piggy with a really sweet teenage owner.
YAYYYYYYYYY:biglove::biglove::biglove:

Reactions: 1 users

No pressure, right?

I repeat, eating AND drinking, apparently mowing down his hay, greens and treats. Peeing and pooping. Not out of the woods yet and I'm probably jinxing myself by celebrating, but I'm not someone who gets super anxious about surgical patients (tend to be a "I've done my best and it's up to them from now on" sort of person) so the amount of stressing I've been doing over this little dude has been exhausting and I just want him to do well.

Great job @Trilt!

Very happy for your patient. It sounds as if he's recuperating well and nearly ready to be discharged home!

guinea.gif

Reactions: 4 users

No pressure, right?

This is awesome!! Thank you for sharing the awesomeness with us. *internet high five*

Reactions: 3 users

No pressure, right?

I rest my case that Trouty pants is a rockstar.

1285046-Clipart-Of-A-Cartoon-Happy-Tuna-Fish-Playing-An-Electric-Guitar-Royalty-Free-Vector-Illustration.jpg

I am the ultimate in lazy. My wife goes running with our dog.

I, on the other hand, just purchased a Bike Tow Leash .... and found out that my dog really is part Husky like I thought. My 6-mile trip to Starbucks and back involved pedaling mayyyyyybe a couple minutes at the end when he decide he was annoyed to be nearing home and decided to be lazy.

Reactions: 9 users
I am the ultimate in lazy. My wife goes running with our dog.

I, on the other hand, just purchased a Bike Tow Leash .... and found out that my dog really is part Husky like I thought. My 6-mile trip to Starbucks and back involved pedaling mayyyyyybe a couple minutes at the end when he decide he was annoyed to be nearing home and decided to be lazy.
I need one of these...

This week was weird and hectic, but overall good.

Monday sucked at first because we had 2 back-to-back exams. The second one blindsided us with VTNE-style questions ("which answer is MOST correct"), so my grade went up in one class and down to an 89.9 in the other. We were told no lab after that, so I went home and was pleasantly surprised with the Japan Crate that a friend had ordered me for my birthday! (it's a box full of candy/snack items from Japan)
After those exams, the timing of delivery couldn't have been better--BUT just as I was enjoying it, I get a text from a classmate saying that actually, we ARE having lab. I was pissed at the plans being changed on us, until I learned that the reason for the impromptu lab was a necropsy (one of our cats :(). While it was sad that it happened, it was a super cool experience as I've never observed a necropsy in-person before. Once the DVM was done, I was able to get hands-on.

On Tuesday, took a trip to local big ranch to practice horse radiography for imaging lab. Wednesday, had our first dental lab on actual live patients--my first try at ultrasonic scaling :D Had clin path practical on Thursday and the lecture exam for it yesterday, and I think I killed it! I've been consuming and documenting everything from the crate over the past few days, and still have a few more snacks to finish off this weekend :hungry:

ETA: oh yeah, AND i was lucky enough to have my externship plans come together beautifully--I had sent out emails to several places last month, most of which never responded at all, only 2 that did were booked up for the summer. I was starting to get worried about being able to find a facility that would take externs on such short notice and was just about to contact more local clinics, but I checked my email to find a follow-up from an equine clinic in Colorado that I previously had to decline due to booked housing. They said that some vet student externs had found housing elsewhere, so they now had space available and wanted to know if I was still interested in coming. Just like the snack crate, the timing could not have been better-- I'm going to Colorado in June!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

No pressure, right?

So freaking awesome!!!

Yay :) Mine survived too- I actually saw him a few weeks ago (months post-op) and he looks awesome. You already know this but there can never be enough analgesic and I dosed mine with metoclopramide regularly the first couple of days and that helped a lot.

Just tried Halo Top for the first time, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it is! I got the chocolate flavor, and while it wasn't chocolatey enough for me (nothing ever is!), the texture was really good and there wasn't any weird aftertaste. Just not crazy about the price.

I've already found some homemade Halo Top recipes. I have a date with my ice cream maker tomorrow for strawberry sorbet, but I'll report back as soon as I try one!

Just tried Halo Top for the first time, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it is! I got the chocolate flavor, and while it wasn't chocolatey enough for me (nothing ever is!), the texture was really good and there wasn't any weird aftertaste. Just not crazy about the price.

I've already found some homemade Halo Top recipes. I have a date with my ice cream maker tomorrow for strawberry sorbet, but I'll report back as soon as I try one!
If you like the chocolate, you should try the peanut butter flavor :love::love:
The chocolate was my favorite until
I was able to find he peanut butter one. Then that took first place.

Reactions: 3 users
I spent the day volunteering and teaching the public about the university's biological specimen collection. The downside was standing for eight hours straight on a concrete floor in flats... and the morning power outage. That kind of sucked too and prevented me from getting to look around the collection before the swarm of people descended on the place.

14929484880272008646956.jpg
The newest princess of the farm has arrived!

Reactions: 30 users
Despite my reservations, I passed the last GI phys exam (which is pretty notorious for being the test with the highest failure rate of first year and its format) by quite a healthy margin! YAAAAS! :soexcited:

Now if only I could have such luck with anatomy. Hahaha.
That's AWESOME! I'm so happy for you! :love:

Last Monday of undergrad. Two tests this week and research for the next two weeks then I'm freeeee... until Aug 14th

Reactions: 7 users
LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it's almost over. I have 3 finals. One (my hardest, animal breeding) may be optional, but the professor doesn't tell us until the day of so really hoping it's optional. He really hates on vets and says it's the 2nd most boring profession behind Pharmacy.... then I just have to get above a 50% on Biochemistry and Physics to keep my grade! :love::soexcited:

Not my rave, but my friend/ classmate just got accepted to Cornell's Biochemistry PhD program! I'm so excited for her!
:biglove:

Hey that's my first day of class too! :highfive:
I think classes start a week later tbh. That's wen my work obligation begins for the research assistantship. The PI is still at OSU though so I have no clue what's gonna happen once I get to Georgia :shrug:

:lol::lol::lol::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :dead:

(Sorry, wasn't able to cut the smileys from the original post from my phone...)

Yeah I know... considering half the class is pre-vet it drives us bonkers. A lot of his family are vets apparently and he tells us those going into the profession will mostly burn out in 10 years. There is some truth to that I suppose but sheesh he's a downer ;)

LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it's almost over. I have 3 finals. One (my hardest, animal breeding) may be optional, but the professor doesn't tell us until the day of so really hoping it's optional. He really hates on vets and says it's the 2nd most boring profession behind Pharmacy.... then I just have to get above a 50% on Biochemistry and Physics to keep my grade! :love::soexcited:
Animal breeding was the WORST. So many tedious math equations and a breeding simulation assignment that was all dumb luck (imo) :rolleyes:

Animal breeding was the WORST. So many tedious math equations and a breeding simulation assignment that was all dumb luck (imo) :rolleyes:

Did you take it at Purdue?!?! I think this has been my most hated class in undergrad... I really don't think I'll use this info. Did he make the final optional?!?!

Did you take it at Purdue?!?! I think this has been my most hated class in undergrad... I really don't think I'll use this info. Did he make the final optional?!?!
The final definitely not optional when I took it haha

I like fast work weeks. A mid week all day conference will definitely improve my morale on Wednesday. Give me a break from staring at a computer screen.