RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@SkiOtter ... I had to look up the name on the Internet because I have never heard of "Texas Roadhouse."

The menu looked good to me - wish there was one close to me so I could try it out!
Care reaction because it is a tragedy that you haven't had their rolls.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
the rolls are awesome...but especially with the butter. sooooooo good.

When you don't pay attention to the thread you're opening, see a post about rolls being awesome, immediately become offended that you don't have your WW role post yet and WEREN'T THEY NOT SUPPOSED TO COME OUT TIL TUESDAY???

Scroll up to confirm this. Realize there are other rolls in the world. Feel sheepish. Quietly sit yo ass back down

Contemplate if you have a problem :thinking:

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Friday afternoon in the middle of a bustle of appointments that had me going into room after room, a client walked in with her puppy that I’d seen before when she was sick and asked for me. I started to wonder what was the matter

but when I got to her, I found out nothing was the matter. The owner passed the puppy off to me to love on. They just wanted to say hello:love:more of this from clients please!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I made a long and probably too-sappy post and deleted it. But:

I went into vet school wanting to be in lab animal medicine; in our little class video where we said where we envisioned ourselves in five years, I said as a lab animal vet in [my current location].

I didn’t match. I spent five years in small animal/exotics GP.

Today, I had my first day as a lab animal vet. I know not every day will be rainbows and SPF unicorns but I am SO happy and grateful I get to give this thing a shot. Crazy how things go, huh?

• Love
Reactions: 32 users
I made a long and probably too-sappy post and deleted it. But:

I went into vet school wanting to be in lab animal medicine; in our little class video where we said where we envisioned ourselves in five years, I said as a lab animal vet in [my current location].

I didn’t match. I spent five years in small animal/exotics GP.

Today, I had my first day as a lab animal vet. I know not every day will be rainbows and SPF unicorns but I am SO happy and grateful I get to give this thing a shot. Crazy how things go, huh?

this post wins the day. I’m so happy for you!

Reactions: 1 user
I got married on Saturday to the most amazing woman and I am so happy *literal tears* to call her my wife. We had an wonderful intimate ceremony (V 3.0 as my step-mom called it of planning our wedding... ) and all that matters is that we got to say 'I do.' Countdown to our Honeymoon in 3 weeks!!!

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
I got married on Saturday to the most amazing woman and I am so happy *literal tears* to call her my wife. We had an wonderful intimate ceremony (V 3.0 as my step-mom called it of planning our wedding... ) and all that matters is that we got to say 'I do.' Countdown to our Honeymoon in 3 weeks!!!
Your pictures are sooo adorable and I'm so happy for you two. :love:

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Passed NAVLE :banana:

(sorry to those of you on snapchat and facebook with me who are seeing this for the third time, I'm just excited y'all!)

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
announcement.JPG

Baby boy #2 due in March :) Nerdy announcement courtesy of my husband

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
My new job is AWESOME! The head tech is getting me good at jug draws. She goes out of her way to give me opportunities to learn new things that no one at my previous job would ever take the time to teach me. The old grouchy vet has complimented me on my radiograph-taking skills when I had to teach a less-experienced assistant on a horribly squirmy dog. The non-grouchy vet has complimented me on basically everything I've done, especially my attention to detail when I've caught small things that almost slipped through the cracks. I've only been here for a month and a half and I already feel MUCH more appreciated than in the year and a half I spent at my previous place.

• Love
I have a love/hate relationship with surgery, and it's been mostly love lately. Almost makes me wish I did better in school so I could have specialized. Almost. I'd miss the baby kitties though.

Reactions: 5 users
I have a love/hate relationship with surgery, and it's been mostly love lately. Almost makes me wish I did better in school so I could have specialized. Almost. I'd miss the baby kitties though.
Go into shelter med? Weird surgeries that you need to do because you don’t have the money to refer PLUS super bebby kitties

Reactions: 3 users
Go into shelter med? Weird surgeries that you need to do because you don’t have the money to refer PLUS super bebby kitties
Yes, but lots of death. Or cruelty. My heart couldn't handle it right now.
I opted not to go into lab animal because of the death. Don't get me wrong, I love lab animal vets and totally respect what they do, but it's not for me. I like GP. :)

Yes, but lots of death. Or cruelty. My heart couldn't handle it right now.
I opted not to go into lab animal because of the death. Don't get me wrong, I love lab animal vets and totally respect what they do, but it's not for me. I like GP. :)
Ah yeah that’s fair. The death and cruelty is not my favorite part of it :confused:
I like gp too and likely will also end up there :)

IMG_0676.JPG

I bought my goats coats and I am absolutely living for it :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
My sister got this Scooby-Doo for me and I just think it's so cool looking.
20201117_200553.jpg

• Love
Sometimes the universe gives me what I need, and I see it right away, and it’s immediately gratifying. Sometimes it takes longer to figure out what to do with a sudden curve ball, but it still works out in the end. That’s probably the closest thing I have to faith. It’s comforting to me anyway.

Reactions: 9 users
Found myself starting to downward spiral hard earlier this week. Proactively booked an appointment with a counsellor so that I hopefully don't turn into a soggy paper bag!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Promise this is the last advertisement post I'll make probably, if anyone is interested in playing WW with us, I have posted sign ups for this year's game specifically designed for and catered towards new players! Don't worry if you have no idea what the game even is, you'll have an experienced player to guide you. I started out in a noob game like this and here I am almost 7 years later, now WW cult leader or something :p More info here!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Promise this is the last advertisement post I'll make probably, if anyone is interested in playing WW with us, I have posted sign ups for this year's game specifically designed for and catered towards new players! Don't worry if you have no idea what the game even is, you'll have an experienced player to guide you. I started out in a noob game like this and here I am almost 7 years later, now WW cult leader or something :p More info here!
you should really just convince an SDN mod to pin it to the top of the forum list so then all the pre vetties HAVE to see it before stressing about admissions decisions

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I got to hold a cheetah cub today. I’ve officially peaked in life.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
I ordered a weighted blanket from Bed Bath and Beyond cause they had one for 50% off ($35) this week + 20% coupon = $28
and they shipped it from within the state so it's already coming today

hopefully will be having a seriously cozy nap later

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Can I please take a nap with a cheetah cub????

My boss said my abdominal closure for a foreign body was pretty today. And my tech asked why I didn't specialize in surgery. :cat: New kitten appointments, of course!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
A434F0A7-0D24-4C33-83AA-AF7A4757764A.jpeg

I love Christmas cards from clients! :claps:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Merry Christsus

20201225_083906.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
This isn't really a rave, but if anyone has Disney+, you should set aside some time and watch Soul. It was great and I loved the soundtrack.
Hot take: Soul is just Inside Out on LSD.

Agree it is wonderful and I loved it. Genuinely I didn't know most of the plot going in. Mainly I knew about that whole sequence where Joe narrowly escapes death like 102 times and then falls in a manhole and becomes a soul. That's all I remembered seeing from the trailers. And I find I tend to really like Pixar movies when they do that. (Another example where this happened for me is Brave.)

Reactions: 1 users
Hot take: Soul is just Inside Out on LSD.

Agree it is wonderful and I loved it. Genuinely I didn't know most of the plot going in. Mainly I knew about that whole sequence where Joe narrowly escapes death like 102 times and then falls in a manhole and becomes a soul. That's all I remembered seeing from the trailers. And I find I tend to really like Pixar movies when they do that. (Another example where this happened for me is Brave.)

What'd they do? Add in a bunch of the crab "shiny" scenes from Moana?

I scrubbed into my first real surgery today! (Foreign body)
Which is probably nbd to those that have a lot of clinic experience, but was really cool for me to apply what I've learned.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Probably saved a patient's life today (or at least saved him a future hospital visit).

Long story short, I'm on rotation doing discharge counseling for patients in a hospital, and pt was about to be discharged on an anticoagulant with a dose that was wayyyy too high for him.

Patient was admitted to the hospital a few days ago with a new diagnosis of atrial fibrillation. He had previously been taking warfarin for a different indication that I can't remember right now, but they temporarily switched him to heparin while he was in the hospital. For treatment of his afib, they started him on amiodarone.

So INR monitoring. Basically your indicator of how good a patient's warfarin dose is. Too high and patient will bleed out. Too low and they'll have a blood clot. For healthy patients with no CV diseases, it should be around 1-ish. For most patients treated with warfarin, it should be between 2 and 3. This number also changes very slowly in response to warfarin. It takes about 5 days for the INR to stabilize when starting or changing warfarin doses, and you should consider holding or reducing the dose if it increases by more than 0.5 in a day.

A thing about warfarin, it's super touchy and interacts with just about everything. If you look at it funny you have to dose adjust it. But it's pretty easy to dose adjust in response if needed, and there's only a few interactions you really have to pay attention to.

Amiodarone is one of those. It increases the serum level of warfarin and requires the warfarin dose to be reduced by 30-50%.

Well this patient had his warfarin resumed yesterday afternoon with plans to discharge him on the amiodarone and his usual home dose of warfarin. Do you want to know what happened to his INR? It spiked a whopping 1.0 points in 24 hours (from 1.7 to 2.7). This was after ONE dose. Keeping him on his home dose would surely put him into the 5-ish range. And they were still going to send him home on his normal dose!

So anyway, contacted the doc and said "maybe don't pls?" and he halved the dose. And then when I went to counsel the patient I made sure to tell him to ask his care team when he should take his next dose (since I technically can't tell him to hold his dose for a day).

Semi-related rave, yesterday I got to do discharge counseling for a patient who had been in the hospital for over a month. She was almost crying from happiness while I was talking to her.

• Love
Working interview for a vet assistant position tomorrow! Slim chance but I’m excited anyway! It will be really interesting even if I don’t get the job.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
RAVE here... but I've been so blessed to have received so many interviews so far (lab animal residency programs). Pretty nervewracking bc I'm an introvert so doing all these have been stressful.. BUT I can say that I've been getting better an interviewing. Hoping I match ad excited/nervous for match day on March 1st! 8 more 2-week rotations left with 2 of those being off campus. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I can see the end of the tunnel!

• Love