RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got Lasik yesterday after wanting to get it for YEARS and at my follow up appointment today, I had 20/15 vision in both eyes. I can't believe it. :soexcited:
Don't skip your follow up appointments/rechecks! My husband stopped going to his and now his eyes are getting worse again...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought I had lost a priceless heirloom necklace that my mother finally entrusted to me about 3 years ago, but it just turns out I hid it really, really well to keep it safe. Now that I've found it, I remember taking it out of the fancy box my mom gave it to me in, and putting it in something really nondescript in the back of a junk drawer. Along with several other of my favorite pieces of jewelry that I've been trying to find for the past 3-4 months. Oops. Back in the fancy box it goes!

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Well, it's been a bumpy road but I think everything's finally lined up! Had my internship canceled (for the second time :arghh:), interviewed the very next day for another internship (had a pretty good idea that the first one was going to be canceled, so I applied for the only other internship with that late of a deadline), definitely bombed one of the interview questions, somehow still got the position????, moving up for it in a week! I'm very excited to finally settle down from all this craziness and definitely very grateful to have something super cool to do this fall!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's been a bumpy road but I think everything's finally lined up! Had my internship canceled (for the second time :arghh:), interviewed the very next day for another internship (had a pretty good idea that the first one was going to be canceled, so I applied for the only other internship with that late of a deadline), definitely bombed one of the interview questions, somehow still got the position????, moving up for it in a week! I'm very excited to finally settle down from all this craziness and definitely very grateful to have something super cool to do this fall!!
What's the internship??

Me when @batsenecal likes my pre-vet page facebook comments:
1597186073321.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I got Lasik yesterday after wanting to get it for YEARS and at my follow up appointment today, I had 20/15 vision in both eyes. I can't believe it. :soexcited:
Yaaaaaay! My mom told me it was wild on the ride home after her LASIK that she could read all the signs on the highway.

I’ll be so excited for the day I can get mine done. I’m waiting for when I have a real job with an income and ”big girl” healthcare to do it. I‘ve worn glasses since I was 5 and can’t imagine life without them at this point.

@Elkhart, I couldnt be happier for you! You're amazing! <3

Reactions: 1 users
One of my ferret patients that got lost outside and came home with a suspected dog bite wound cam back for his recheck today. I was so worried it was going to be a euthanasia based on how bad he looked right after it happened, and the owner’s report that she wasn’t sure he was doing ok. But he’s fine!!! And very, very lucky.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I caught a med error last night!

I was at my overnight hospital rotation. Patient's home med list was collected and entered into Epic. We were at final verification (I'm not allowed to verify as an intern, so I was watching my preceptor verify) and I asked my preceptor, "Did I read that right? Venlafaxine 750 mg?"

For those who are unfamiliar with venlafaxine (Effexor), a typical dose is around 75-150 mg; the max dose for any indication is around 225-300mg. So 750 is a LOT.

Fortunately, this patients outside medical records were accessible in her profile, so we were able to see that she had been getting 150 mg prior to her hospital stay. Called the provider, provider authorized change, changed it to 150. Most likely it was entered incorrectly somewhere along the line. (Personally, my guess is that someone hand-wrote the 150 dosage to be transcribed into the EMR by someone else, but their 1 looked like a 7.)

It's possible this could have been caught further down the line. For example, we usually only send up 24h worth of meds at a time, and each pill is individually packaged, so maybe the nurse would question having to open 5 packages of one med to get the desired dose, rather than going up to a higher strength (there isn't one for venlafaxine, but you might wonder if you didn't know). But what's the likelihood they would speak up about that? Or the patient might have caught the error when she's told to take five capsules of venlafaxine, but it's probably not a good idea to rely on the patient for catching med errors! So essentially, this was the last possible step in the chain where someone could have caught it, because after final verification we tube it up to them.

I'm just really, really proud of myself.

Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the doctors that I have been working with this summer has a reputation of being difficult to handle. One assistant made a comment to me that she thinks she needs a psychiatrist :bag:

Around when I started, I remember my manager overheard one of our interactions and she asked if I was ok. I told her that I received constructive criticism and was no big deal. That was the only "negative" interaction I had with this doctor and it actually seemed that she was pretty fond of me.

Tomorrow is my last day working there and in the middle of the shift today took a minute to give a shpeal about how much she enjoyed working with me this summer and that I'm welcome back at any of the holidays.

I admit it's kind of weird to have a positive relationship while listening to some of the other staffs' struggles but nonetheless it was super nice to hear that

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I caught a med error last night!

I was at my overnight hospital rotation. Patient's home med list was collected and entered into Epic. We were at final verification (I'm not allowed to verify as an intern, so I was watching my preceptor verify) and I asked my preceptor, "Did I read that right? Venlafaxine 750 mg?"

For those who are unfamiliar with venlafaxine (Effexor), a typical dose is around 75-150 mg; the max dose for any indication is around 225-300mg. So 750 is a LOT.

Fortunately, this patients outside medical records were accessible in her profile, so we were able to see that she had been getting 150 mg prior to her hospital stay. Called the provider, provider authorized change, changed it to 150. Most likely it was entered incorrectly somewhere along the line. (Personally, my guess is that someone hand-wrote the 150 dosage to be transcribed into the EMR by someone else, but their 1 looked like a 7.)

It's possible this could have been caught further down the line. For example, we usually only send up 24h worth of meds at a time, and each pill is individually packaged, so maybe the nurse would question having to open 5 packages of one med to get the desired dose, rather than going up to a higher strength (there isn't one for venlafaxine, but you might wonder if you didn't know). But what's the likelihood they would speak up about that? Or the patient might have caught the error when she's told to take five capsules of venlafaxine, but it's probably not a good idea to rely on the patient for catching med errors! So essentially, this was the last possible step in the chain where someone could have caught it, because after final verification we tube it up to them.

I'm just really, really proud of myself.

oh ****tt gg!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I admit it's kind of weird to have a positive relationship while listening to some of the other staffs' struggles but nonetheless it was super nice to hear that

It's awesome you found a good summer mentor!

It's awesome you found a good summer mentor!
And not just one, many! The 4 doctors that I worked with (one of the overnight docs I overlapped as reception only, not assistant) all would either quiz me or invite me to review findings, rads, etc with them. It has been a super awesome experience.

2193CBB3-F12F-4BD1-A906-5552DB895D7D.jpeg

small pocket pup:love:

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Can there be a mixed-emotion rave? It's my last day of work at probably the best job I've had. I leave the country in 11 days to start vet school, which is exciting and a bit anxiety-inducing. Unfortunately, I probably won't see my boyfriend for the next six months. I'm so excited to start this next chapter, but there are some mixed feelings jumbled up inside me.

Reactions: 4 users
Can there be a mixed-emotion rave? It's my last day of work at probably the best job I've had. I leave the country in 11 days to start vet school, which is exciting and a bit anxiety-inducing. Unfortunately, I probably won't see my boyfriend for the next six months. I'm so excited to start this next chapter, but there are some mixed feelings jumbled up inside me.
:nailbiting::soexcited:

Feeling grateful to have a paid position especially with how uncertain the job market's been with everything going on.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
This is the tiniest rave, but I have a plain black t-shirt that says "Vaccines cause adults" and every time I wear it out, I get so many compliments on it. It's really fun.

Living where I live definitely helps. In some areas of the country, I imagine it would be less fun.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
It’s sunny today! I always forget how much the weather affects my mood until we have 5 days of rain and I end up super depressed for no good reason. But it’s sunny again! Yay!

Reactions: 7 users
Interviewing for a cleaning position at school tomorrow. Not super exciting work, but it's easy and fits well into my schedule (6AM-9AM). If I get it and not required to share with another student, that's 15 hours of work weekly without really any study time lost (cause face it, I don't start watching lectures until 9AM anyway)

• Love
Interviewing for a cleaning position at school tomorrow. Not super exciting work, but it's easy and fits well into my schedule (6AM-9AM). If I get it and not required to share with another student, that's 15 hours of work weekly without really any study time lost (cause face it, I don't start watching lectures until 9AM anyway)
I get the job! Totally pumped. It'll cover rent, plus I get to go back to a routine, and also now I have a reason to leave the house every day.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I get the job! Totally pumped. It'll cover rent, plus I get to go back to a routine, and also now I have a reason to leave the house every day.
This is such a good way to just get your day started. I struggle with that a lot when I have time off and sleep until... whenever, lol.

188FF95F-5E57-43B6-9893-37DE17CEF25E.jpeg

I know that obesity leads to a lot of health and yadda yadda but you can’t deny the unbelievable amount of squish present here:p

(pls excuse my poorly drawn circle)

• Love
View attachment 318495
I know that obesity leads to a lot of health and yadda yadda but you can’t deny the unbelievable amount of squish present here:p

(pls excuse my poorly drawn circle)
I'm going to say, yes cute, but also those health problems are nothing to shrug about.

As a future veterinarian, part of the role is setting good examples :)

I'm going to say, yes cute, but also those health problems are nothing to shrug about.

I know a number of vets and vet students with overweight cats. They still advise people on the daily of the risks of having overweight pets, and often empathize with how tricky it can be to get them to lose weight.

They can still be cute, and you can acknowledge that they are cute while being aware of health problems it causes. I think that comment was a little bit judgemental of someone just sharing a cute pet photo.

I know a number of vets and vet students with overweight cats. They still advise people on the daily of the risks of having overweight pets, and often empathize with how tricky it can be to get them to lose weight.

They can still be cute, and you can acknowledge that they are cute while being aware of health problems it causes. I think that comment was a little bit judgemental of someone just sharing a cute pet photo.
The comment was in reference to "obesity leads to health problems and yadda yadda"

I agreed she is cute, but feel that it was very casual mindset about the problems it can cause. I disagree that it was judgemental - I'm not judging, I'm asking her to be conscious about taking those health problems seriously.

I feel like I have an advantage sometimes in those conversations as an overweight woman (but who has lost ~70lbs over time!)

Yes, I love food, too. Obviously.
No, it's not the end of the world to restrict fluffy. It's better for them.
Yes, I've gone through it myself, it sucks, do it anyway.

Meanwhile our office cat is still too chunky...

I feel like I do this too though as a non-vet though...
"What vitamin do you recommend?" "Oh well they don't do much unless you're deficient in something, but if you're really set in taking one then any general multivitamin is fine."
Meanwhile...hoarding my stash of hair, skin, and nails gummies that the rational part of me knows full well is not doing a damn thing except making me spend $10/month.

So I got Texas Roadhouse as an after-midterms treat and they gave me SIX rolls tonight. It is a good night.
This is making me realize that I have not been to Roadhouse in a LOOOOOONG time. Used to go fairly regularly in undergrad because all the Greek orgs would have their turn at fundraiser night, always at either Roadhouse, B-Dubs, or Sweet Cece's.

I feel like I do this too though as a non-vet though...
"What vitamin do you recommend?" "Oh well they don't do much unless you're deficient in something, but if you're really set in taking one then any general multivitamin is fine."
Meanwhile...hoarding my stash of hair, skin, and nails gummies that the rational part of me knows full well is not doing a damn thing except making me spend $10/month.
I'm almost positive I would be deficient in many ket nutrients without multivitamins because my lifestyle is quite similar to that of a gargoyle :laugh:

I think I take at least a multivitamin, vitamin d supplement, melatonin, and some kind of joint supplement daily

We got TR to go back in May or so and it was really disappointing. Haven’t done it again. Enjoying food from places at home is totally different than eating there and it’s just not worth it a lot of the time IMO. Our takeout is now limited to Chipotle, sushi, or Chinese food. The rest isn’t the same.

I been cooking at home a lot tho... it’s a good thing. Most of the time.

• Sad

The comment was in reference to "obesity leads to health problems and yadda yadda"

I agreed she is cute, but feel that it was very casual mindset about the problems it can cause. I disagree that it was judgemental - I'm not judging, I'm asking her to be conscious about taking those health problems seriously.

i didn’t mean to come across as insensitive or dismissive or anything. Of course I am aware of all the health issues that obesity can cause and as a future veterinarian, I would advise this client on how to help their cat lose weight. I was just amused by how round this cat was shaped and wanted to share.

So I got Texas Roadhouse as an after-midterms treat and they gave me SIX rolls tonight. It is a good night.
@SkiOtter ... I had to look up the name on the Internet because I have never heard of "Texas Roadhouse."

The menu looked good to me - wish there was one close to me so I could try it out!

• Wow
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users