RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I accepted an offer for an ER position in the Bay Area. I fell in love with the area and they are offering way more money than I imagined getting, TBH.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
My dad was discharged to go home today! ❤️

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Back to 90% solo practice life in T-3 working days (3.5 if you count today):biglove: Colleagues can be great and... not so great, but after the experience my team and I have had in the recent present I am very excited to be mostly alone again;)

Reactions: 1 users
I just got the official offer call for my necropsy tech job! I have been waiting for 3 weeks for them to figure out the pay situation and it is favorable so I am gonna take it and can possibly start as soon as Monday. Feels so good to have good news right now ☺️

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
We are trying vet triage for our after hours er service ngl I'm low key very excited and partially relieved that I no longer have to deal with some of the bs er calls. I feel so free 😊

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
We are trying vet triage for our after hours er service ngl I'm low key very excited and partially relieved that I no longer have to deal with some of the bs er calls. I feel so free 😊
I hope it works out 😍

Reactions: 1 user
Did my first spay yesterday! She was pregnant so it was a little more difficult and scary for me but overall it went well and she’s recovering great. I feel like I’ll need to do that like 100 more times to be even remotely confident though 🥲

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Did my first spay yesterday! She was pregnant so it was a little more difficult and scary for me but overall it went well and she’s recovering great. I feel like I’ll need to do that like 100 more times to be even remotely confident though 🥲
I would rather do a foreign body surgery than a spay tbh!! And that's purely because I've done, like, 2 or 3 since graduation😅

• Wow
Learned I have a friend with the exact same condition as me. Makes me feel way less lonely!

Also therapy is wonderful. I would be in a very different place if I had not started therapy again literally a day before my life turned upside down

• Care
The sun is out and so are the dandelion, violets, and a mysterious third purple flower. My daffodils have died off already this year after a good 2-3 weeks. I am a little concerned about how early my trees got their leaves, may need to yell at them in August for changing colors too early. My one thriving blueberry bush should have a good harvest this year too!

Unfortunately the flowers being out mean a lot of yelling at dog to not eat the bees. I have seen her bite at them and get a little too close. I do not have the time to take her to the ER for that (obviously would though).

The sun is out and so are the dandelion, violets, and a mysterious third purple flower. My daffodils have died off already this year after a good 2-3 weeks. I am a little concerned about how early my trees got their leaves, may need to yell at them in August for changing colors too early. My one thriving blueberry bush should have a good harvest this year too!

Unfortunately the flowers being out mean a lot of yelling at dog to not eat the bees. I have seen her bite at them and get a little too close. I do not have the time to take her to the ER for that (obviously would though).
Is the random purple one a small flower growing straight out of the ground? It might be a Crocus

Members don't see this ad :)
No, they're ground cover. I have a very meadow like front and backyard since it's mostly shaded.
That sounds beautiful. We have a ground cover with little light purple flowers as well, but I can't remember the name now!

I think it may be creeping Charlie after looking at pictures. There are a surprising amount of plants that fit that description.
Ours are called Blue Star Creeper. So the flowers I guess are more blue than purple

Attachments

• 20240415_191627.jpg
    20240415_191627.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 22
When y'all call this ground cover, would you say it's a good replacement for grass when you have two large breed dogs and a toddler?

Ours was here from the last owner and I know they had two dogs and 3 kids. So I am assuming it is pretty resilient. I only have a single child and guinea pigs, so I haven't been able to test it in quite the same way haha
1000030961.jpg

• Love
When y'all call this ground cover, would you say it's a good replacement for grass when you have two large breed dogs and a toddler?
I personally wouldn't because of the bees, but I also have multiple flowering types. They also tend to grow to a couple of feet unattended during the summer and die off completely in the winter. I personally really like having a mostly non-grass lawn for spring blooms. The yard is also quite large which makes outright replacement expensive.

Are you looking for lower maintenance than grass, or more for biodiversity in your yard? I'm guessing it's for lower maintenance, and would recommend a clover mix or Dwarf Carpet of Stars! However, you should also consider your USDA growing zone because that changes plant selection quite a bit.

I would also say you will have to look at this. Because it definitely changes what plants will live in your yard, as well as how much sun you get in the yard. We wanted to plant thyme (Orange Spice thyme smells AUH-Mazing) but it kept dying off in direct sun.

I personally wouldn't because of the bees, but I also have multiple flowering types. They also tend to grow to a couple of feet unattended during the summer and die off completely in the winter. I personally really like having a mostly non-grass lawn for spring blooms. The yard is also quite large which makes outright replacement expensive.

Are you looking for lower maintenance than grass, or more for biodiversity in your yard? I'm guessing it's for lower maintenance, and would recommend a clover mix or Dwarf Carpet of Stars! However, you should also consider your USDA growing zone because that changes plant selection quite a bit.
I'm in the Denver metro and they're offering grants if you reduce your grass cover to 200 sq ft or less between all parts of your lawn. So going to have a smaller lawn for the child in the back, but then need something for the rest of the back and then the whole front

• Wow
I would also say you will have to look at this. Because it definitely changes what plants will live in your yard, as well as how much sun you get in the yard. We wanted to plant thyme (Orange Spice thyme smells AUH-Mazing) but it kept dying off in direct sun.
I just realized it didn't quote!! I was talking about the hardiness zones

I'm in the Denver metro and they're offering grants if you reduce your grass cover to 200 sq ft or less between all parts of your lawn. So going to have a smaller lawn for the child in the back, but then need something for the rest of the back and then the whole front
I'm a really big fan of wildflower blends, they can be a little tricky to get right. There are so many different mixes that can bloom at different points during the year.

Urban agriculture could be worth looking into. Lots of things can grow in relatively small spaces, and it is really nice to use your own produce. I've heard it can also be nice for little ones to teach them patience, plus a skill they have for life. That also takes work to maintain whereas wildflowers tend to do okay on their own.

I'm a really big fan of wildflower blends, they can be a little tricky to get right. There are so many different mixes that can bloom at different points during the year.

Urban agriculture could be worth looking into. Lots of things can grow in relatively small spaces, and it is really nice to use your own produce. I've heard it can also be nice for little ones to teach them patience, plus a skill they have for life. That also takes work to maintain whereas wildflowers tend to do okay on their own.
Home Depot had bags of wildflower mixes, so I was thinking of looking into if those bags are appropriate for our area.

Whether or not to grow produce will be up in the air. 😅 That level of dedication is hard to gauge in our household

Home Depot had bags of wildflower mixes, so I was thinking of looking into if those bags are appropriate for our area.

Whether or not to grow produce will be up in the air. 😅 That level of dedication is hard to gauge in our household
Very fair. I've been successful in growing some produce, but I could neglect it. Probably would have had more success had I paid more attention. Still got tomatoes though.

I am also looking for hardy grass alternatives! There's so much mud in our yard it is miserable whenever it rains here.

I am also looking for hardy grass alternatives! There's so much mud in our yard it is miserable whenever it rains here.
We also need to replace the deck and my husband doesn't understand why we can't just put patio furniture directly on the ground. 🤦🏼‍♀️ And I'm like, "1) resale value and 2) mud"

• Haha
My dogs have decided to take up “gardening” and have been digging holes so I’m currently trying to re-grow the grass where I filled in the holes with more topsoil. I have the exercise pen set up around the larger holes and there’s baking racks and other wire laid over the top of the smaller holes in other spots so they still get sun and water but the dogs can access the soft fresh dirt. They’re lucky they’re cute!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
My dogs have decided to take up “gardening” and have been digging holes so I’m currently trying to re-grow the grass where I filled in the holes with more topsoil. I have the exercise pen set up around the larger holes and there’s baking racks and other wire laid over the top of the smaller holes in other spots so they still get sun and water but the dogs can access the soft fresh dirt. They’re lucky they’re cute!
Those dang dogs. We have a separate pit that is solely for the dogs to dig in and they still try to dig holes elsewhere in the yard.
60D3E6E7-EFF8-4D90-B77E-31B39E79AEA5.jpeg

Previous owners removed a tree from the middle of my yard, so they tend to dig in that spot since it’s a low lying area. They like to rip up the old tree roots to chew on. They have also dug after critters, but I can’t really blame a hound and a terrier for doing that when there’s moles and other animals in the dirt.

• Haha
Previous owners removed a tree from the middle of my yard, so they tend to dig in that spot since it’s a low lying area. They like to rip up the old tree roots to chew on. They have also dug after critters, but I can’t really blame a hound and a terrier for doing that when there’s moles and other animals in the dirt.
I have a dachshund so I'm not surprised by the digging at all! Just wish the rest of the yard had some more grass and less mud 😅

I have an unhealthy obsession with dachshunds. Here are mine, I must share them with the world.
20230902_002250230_iOS.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
omg you asked me about my favorite subject!! I have a longhair standard! Her name is Violet :)
Is Violet an Endachs dachshund by any chance? The holi powder photo and the style of the puppy photo makes me think she might be? If so, I’ve met Tori at dog shows and she’s photographed my dogs before! She’s definitely who I’d go to if I was looking for a dachshund.

If not…ignore me, lol.

• Love
Is Violet an Endachs dachshund by any chance? The holi powder photo and the style of the puppy photo makes me think she might be? If so, I’ve met Tori at dog shows and she’s photographed my dogs before! She’s definitely who I’d go to if I was looking for a dachshund.

If not…ignore me, lol.
She is an Endachs dog! So glad you’ve met Tori and like her as much as I do. I’m constantly trying to stop myself from getting another one. I puppy-sat her show prospect Conan for a few weeks at the end of March and didn’t want to give him back 😂
8F13FA79-D4F4-461F-9F86-C383D7DF6B92.jpeg

• Love
So glad you’ve met Tori and like her as much as I do. I’m constantly trying to stop myself from getting another one.
I’m hoping she offers photo mini-sessions at the Oklahoma City dog shows at the end of June. She took some for me at a a UKC show in Lawrence a couple years ago, but my boy was under a year old then and I need new photos now that he’s fully mature and filled out. I also love seeing her social media posts of this newest litter. I don’t need a dachshund but hers are so pretty.

Her old pic of my not-quite-a-wirehair-dachshund (a Basset Fauve de Bretagne) for tax.

IMG_1612.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I’m hoping she offers photo mini-sessions at the Oklahoma City dog shows at the end of June. She took some for me at a a UKC show in Lawrence a couple years ago, but my boy was under a year old then and I need new photos now that he’s fully mature and filled out. I also love seeing her social media posts of this newest litter. I don’t need a dachshund but hers are so pretty.

Her old pic of my not-quite-a-wirehair-dachshund (a Basset Fauve de Bretagne) for tax.

View attachment 385637
I am in love with the PBGVs and Basset Fauve, really considering getting one in the future.

I am in love with the PBGVs and Basset Fauve, really considering getting one in the future.
PM me if you decide to go the Fauve route…more than happy to help you make breeder connections or figure out where you can meet one in person! I think they’re the best little hounds.

• Care
  • Love

View attachment 385637
Let me know the next time you’re in KS or MO area for a show or other event! I’m gonna try to go out to Purina Farms for the first time in a few weeks for an earthdog test at DCA (depending on my on-call schedule)!

Let me know the next time you’re in KS or MO area for a show or other event! I’m gonna try to go out to Purina Farms for the first time in a few weeks for an earthdog test at DCA (depending on my on-call schedule)!
I will! I live a bit further south and don’t usually go to MO except maybe Joplin, but we make it to KS for a few events a year. My dog is mostly retired from conformation, but I think we’ll probably be at the big cluster in Topeka in August for barn hunt and scentwork, and Wichita for scentwork in December. I’ll try to remember to PM you!

• Love
Had a kick butt day recently, days like this makes my job fun and "worth it". I did my first bunbun spay. My tech was also accomplished and put in their first bunny ear catheter. She was the softest patient of the day and was eating last staff talked to them so yay hopefully no gi stasis! Also my rough goat csection later that day was still alive so fingers crossed for her going forward. Will poof pic later.
*poof*

Last edited:
  • Love