RCSI/Dublin Questions!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLBeer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be a new student to RCSI in the fall. I will be a first year in the 5-year program. I have a ton of questions, and I was hoping some of you out there could help with some answers. I will be living in Mercer Court, so I guess can someone tell me how it is living there. How big are the rooms and roughly how much stuff should I bring from home? Also, would it be better for me just to ship things from the US to there?

Second, how are classes for first year medical students? Will I have alot of free time to wander around Dublin and enjoy the atmosphere, or will I be constantly doing work and studying? So if someone has the time, can they give me an example of what the workload would be for 1st year students :p .

Lastly, I was reading the post about the hot girls, now home good can they be? Like in someone's eyes what is average, like can you give me an example and then what is hot in your guys eyes? I live in NYC, so I see the best and worst of girls, so in respect to love/sex live, will I be miserable in Dublin?

Thanks for all your help, and cant wait to get some pints with all of you that get back to me. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Beer!

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I am going to RCSI in the fall too (5 year program) and wanted to meet some of my future classmates! :D

I'll be living off campus in an apartment or house share, don't know which yet but I am making a trip to Dublin in another couple weeks to look for housing. I spoke to someone awhile back who said you definitely want to live in Mercer as opposed to Millin.

As for moving stuff, my Dad is coming with me to orientation so I was going to stuff some belongings into his luggage and mine! I just hope it is enough space for everything. But then winter break is only 2 1/2 months after we start so I figure if I can just survive with what I brought till I go home again, I can bring more later.

Where are you from?

Hey Lavender!

Thanks for getting back to me. So how are you doing? I am from New York City, and I'd like to meet new people too. Please tell me more about yourself, and if you feel more comfortable, you can email me directly at [email protected].

To anyone else, please give me more advice about Mercer Court. I know that it's better than Milan house, but what should i bring there? I also wanted to know how it's like living there. If anyone wants to leave a post, or just email me feel free, but lets get this post going..

I'd love to hear from my future classmates as well..

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't go to RCSI, but have been in Mercer court. You share a room, but the rooms in my opinion are quite spacious. My friends who lived there actually had plenty of room to fit a full-sized fridge into the room! I wouldn't bring all that much - clothes obviously, toiletries, converter plugs although you can buy them here, maybe an electronics wattage converter if you have US appliances that don't accept international voltage. Assuming you're going home for Christmas, you can always wait til then to figure out what you forgot at home and want to bring over.

Thanks for the feedback, I love all the help that I'm getting. Does anyone know if there are Washers and Dryers in Mercer Court, or will I have to go outside the building to do my laundry? Also, since I am from the US, is there any TV shows that come on in Dublin and if they do, are they airing the same time they are airing in the US or is there a lag in time?

Feel free to post and talk about anything else that you can advice me on about RCSI, Dublin, and Mercer Court.

Most of the tv is American :) There is a bit of lag time, but how much depends contractually on when the Dublin channel/company bought the rights to air the show. So like...Simpsons isn't that far behind, but Alias is at least a season behind and doesn't get regular air-time. Sex and the City also isn't too far behind and I think 24, ER, Desperate Housewives, the OC isn't far behind either - maybe by a few months, if even.

I love the Simpsons! :love: I thought I was going to have to do without them so that is great news!

A little info about me Beer:
25 years old.
Graduated from Texas A&M University (Gig 'em Aggies!).
Been doing immunology research ever since but man, am I glad to start school again soon. I did miss learning!

I choose RCSI after doing some research abroad a couple years ago. I traveled around England and visited Scotland and Ireland as well and loved it all! I knew that I wanted to live in Europe at least once in my life and that since I also want to return to the US for residency/to practice, now is really the only time I'd have to live there. It didn't hurt either that the dean of the medical school where I work is a graduate of Trinity, and he strongly suggested attending an Irish medical school b/c the training is excellent and US residency programs know this.

So there you have it! I have only been to NY city once (for the interview) but I enjoyed it and thought that the people were actually quite friendly :)

Now, a couple quick questions for the current med students. Do we purchase and wear scrubs to anatomy lab or should we bring some jeans we don't mind getting formaldehyde on and some old sneakers (in case of spillage!)? Does anatomy lab even start in the fall?

Thanks for getting back to me Lavender. We should keep in touch, since I will be heading out there in the middle of September, so at least we'll both know someone before school starts. If there is more contact information that you have, please let me know, i'll keep in touch.

Current med students.. what is the 1st year like? What is the typical workload and studying like? I have been out of school as well like lavender, doing research too, so I was curious how much of a shock it would be to get back into the flow of things?

I think the Irish med schools are pretty much the same with regards to lab procedures. Don't wear scrubs to anatomy - students don't really wear scrubs here except when they're observing in the OT in clinical years. They think it's weird that some of the Americans have them (from before) and use them as pajamas (but it's so comfy). You'll probably be required to buy a Howie labcoat for Anatomy - these are the white coats that buttom up at the neck and then down the side of the coat - it looks like you're in a 1920's movie, but eh, there you go. Or else a regular white coat.

Hi guys-

I am going to be living in Mercer Court next year too. I was wondering if anyone out there knew whether the dimensions of the beds were the same as US beds... silly question really but the woman I emailed at Mercer couldn't answer it...

Do most people bring towels/bedding/etc., or buy them there? It seems like a waste of valuable packing space to bring them, but then life without bed bath & beyond is nearly incomprehensible to this california girl. :)

Thanks for the q&a dialogue, it is really helpful. I hope more people catch on to this thread.

I think they should work....twin beds in general are just twin beds. I had those twin XL sheets from my college dorm (cuz US dorms use extra long twin beds?) and they were fine, if they're too big you just tuck it in more. Maybe bring one set that you like and then buy another set. Can always get cheap ones at Argos which coincidentally, is like 2 seconds from you.

Ive attached a 1st med schedule from last year. 04/05 year..... Take a look, thats not everything on there.... but that's a good part of it .... :) ... hope this gives you an idea

Attachments

• I_med_sched_04_05.pdf
    10.5 KB · Views: 271
Members don't see this ad :)
I am so lost right now with this new system being put in place, can someone please clarify how this will work, and are you saying that it's pointless to go home over christmas vacation?

As for Cable TV, is this correct that Mercer Court doesnt have Cable TV, and if so is there a way that you can pay extra to get Cable TV? IS there decent internet in the dorms then at Mercer Court, or will I also be in the ancient ages with crappy internet as well?

Does anyone know if the beds in Mercer Court are only twins or also double/full size?

alrighty- so here's what i can tell you... I'm a third med and in the middle of all the curriculum changes. The first thing i'll say is that you'll have to get used to and learn to accept that Irish med schools are different- things aren't laid out in a plan and you know exactly what to expect on day 100 of third year. You just find out as you go what the schedule is. As for major changes, they pitched a new curriculum to our class that puts paeds in fourth year (very good) and changes elective times. its not set yet, but it sounded like some good changes to me. As for pre-clinical years, exam timelines will be changed. when i was in first med, we took exams in each course at the end of each term (there were three/yr). now its more cumulative and they're just taking mini-exams at the end of term and a big one at the end of the year. I don't know too much about that (new 1st/2nd med years) tho- so i won't pretend and mislead you.

Buy your sheet and stuff in Ireland. it will be much easier, there is a big store across from Mercer called Dunnes and you can get all your linens there. Not sure if you'd have a single or full bed, there are both in Mercer. I think all Millin beds are full unless you're sharing a room. The dimensions aren't too different if you want to bring sheets from home, i've brought sheets from home and they fit fine.

washer/dryer- there are combined ones in each apt in mercer, but the dryers are useless, clothes are mostly dried on a drying rack. those are free though, so not too bad of a deal. millin people always have to pay to use the ones in the basement, but that dryer actually dries.

whether you like the mercer atmosphere or not, its all about location! remember that if you're not too sure about the place. you're in one of the most central places you could possibly live in dublin without owning a multi-million euro home!

work load of first year- if you're an exemptee (skip pre-med) then first med is not bad at all. meaning if you've done a degree, you'll won't have a terrible time and you'll have ample time for all sorts of outside entertainment (whatever that may be ;) ) my one bit of advice- GET INVOLVED!!!!! it makes it easier to get to know others in your class and other classes. it can be very helpful down the road in your clinical years, not to mention its way more fun!

any more questions- shout 'em out and we'll do our best

Hi Sactown!

Good to meet more classmates! Are you in the 5 yr or 6 yr program? I am going to miss Bed, Bath, & Beyond too! I just got a 20% off coupon in the mail from them and I can't justify spend it on anything I might need for Ireland :(

A BIG THANKS to leorl, amamann, and Nitti for your replies! You guys are great and so helpful!

Ok this question probably sounds a bit anal/paranoid, but what kind of supplies do we need to buy for lectures? Do they give us handouts or packets of class notes and we just write what we want in them? Or do we bring our own blank notebooks and take our own notes? Taking a look at amamann's post of last year's class schedule, I see that we are taking every class pretty much all the time (as opposed to taking, say, biochemistry and anatomy for 10 weeks and then being done with those classes and taking pharm and physiology next). So to me it seems like I will likely need a notebook and binder for each subject. Does that sound right? Or just crazy? :oops:

You are too funny. You'll find out when you get here, but it depends on your own personal preference. Some people like to do the notebook + folder thing if there happen to be class notes (at RCSI, there will be, printed off ppt's ). Some people like to do just the binder thing with loose-leaf paper or just to put packets of class-notes in, annotated with your own notes... independence man, it's all on you.

In response to the work load, and how people do things here. Honestly, it doesn't matter what others do, 'cause everyone has their own style. However, to answer your question, the following styles are prominent within the year that you'll be entering: (1) print off the lectures before class, review, and take the handout with you to class to add any additional notes the lecturer might have, either purposely or not, missed out on the power point; (2) go to lecture, and open the power point and type in additional notes in the "note box" below the power point. Those are the two main ways. And there're people who just dont do anything at all!! I found that printing off notes was a good way, cause it allows u to draw quick sketches that might not be on the ppt. Texts books weren't used much at all in pre-med, however, I would think its alright to say that in first med things work a little differently. Especially with the new changes in exams and the curriculum itself. No one currently knows what next years schedule is going to be like, nor have they told us exactly how dramatically the changes to the curriculum would be. In RCSI, you just got to be prepared for almost anything, at any time! It's a good idea to perhaps get in the swing of making your own notes, as in the clinical years I've heard that "hand-outs" or "print-outs" don't exist! All that i've heard about next years curriculum change is that they are going to be making it a semesterized program and things are going to be more integrated into a systems based learn style. It's pretty hard to answer questions such as yours, simply 'cause no one has been told much, but I do hope this helps somewhat!

take care.

Hey Nitti,
Did you stay in Mercer Court? Any feedback on that dorm? I will be staying there, any advice for me? Also, since you say that the dryers in there stink, are there pay dryers I could use, that I can fully dry my clothes?

Well keep the posts coming, I love hearing more advice from everyone.. Any new2 1st year med students, feel free to write, since I'd love to meet more new people in my classes.

actually, they're trying to phase out giving out hard copies of the ppt presentations... they are convinced that since they're all on line and since they've given us a computer then were sorted. Not always true. a lot of us have bought printers and print our own notes off at home, or you can do that in the library. i'd say wait and get you're notebooks and stuff in dublin, they use A4 paper there which is bigger and the holes are different from american ones. so american folders and stuff don't really work for keeping notes in order. there's nothing you need to bring that you can't get there, unless there's something you're particularly obsessed with here (the US).

oh yeah, i'm a third year, in the five year program.

i lived in Millin, which wasn't the best choice for me, but i still had a great time. all my friends lived in mercer, so it was grand. ummm, advice about mercer.... hang out with your class and meet people while you have the opportunity of so many of them living close by. there's internet connections in the rooms and they work most of the time. you can use the pay dryers in the basement of millin if you get obsessed....
gotta run, back to the grind!

Hi Everyone,
I am a Canadian student who was born in Dublin a good 22 years ago, but I have only been back once since. I am very excited at the prospect of studying medicine in Ireland and its great to hear of all of the positive experiences!

Thank Nitti..
Can anyone else give me helpful advice that could be used for other new students. I guess, I was curious if people recommend I go back to the States over Christmas break or should I just stick around and study for the Jan 06 exams? Also, can people shed some more light on the curriculum for this upcoming class?
Finally, any more advice on things to bring and not to bring to Dublin.
Thanks...

LLBeer said:
Thank Nitti..
Can anyone else give me helpful advice that could be used for other new students. I guess, I was curious if people recommend I go back to the States over Christmas break or should I just stick around and study for the Jan 06 exams? Also, can people shed some more light on the curriculum for this upcoming class?
Finally, any more advice on things to bring and not to bring to Dublin.
Thanks...

I'd say go home bring you'r laptop with your notes on it and study at home and then come back maybe a week before the exams even having gone to university before most people I've spoken to find it strange living in a different country and a re glad to get home for Christmas.

Curriculum instead of studing each subject you'll be studying the respiratory system and in that you'll do all the anatomy, physiology, biochem and pharm. I'm not sure where they're putting the behavioural science. before you might be studying a different area in each subject.

Don't bring too much just clothes, and any favourite bits.
Don't bring books paper etc we have a used book sale at the start of term so buy your books there, stationary it's cheapest to buy in Reads so ask some one how to get there at the start of term it's about 5-10 mins from college. I think the SU are putting together a survival guide which should have all this info in it.

Is it true that the school gives you laptops because i read that in the orientation book they sent us that the school gives laptops to their students

Danger said:
Is it true that the school gives you laptops because i read that in the orientation book they sent us that the school gives laptops to their students

Yeah you'll get the latest version of the ibook G4

Yeah they give us MACz, but people are trying to get the school to give us an option between windows or macs.

About going home, personally I wouldn't, simply because I know if I was to go home, there'd be sooo many family events to attend, that studying 'properly' wouldnt happen. But if you're good at studying even though the world around is partying and stuff then you should be fine!! Plus, I dont like long flights! Thats jus mah 2 centz on it :)

Is there alot of partying that happens in Mercer Court. If there is will there be a place where i could go to study quitely if needed?

Hi Danger! Where are you from?

And Dr. Mann are you starting 1st med too? How many people from pre med are going into the 1st med class? I wonder how large our entire class will be this year :confused:

Since we're on the subject of laptops...do people usually bring their laptops to class everyday or just leave them at home? I was thinking of getting a laptop backpack but wasn't sure if it was really worth it or not since I will have notes and books (maybe) to deal with.

I heard we get those palm pilot things too during 3rd med.

Yeah there are alot of parties in mercer. Usually the top floor of the library is fairly quite and stuff. The only problem with the library is that by the end of the year you'll know alot of people, and if you cant control yourself you'll end up socializing more than actually studying!! But that's really up to you, you know!

LavenderLoraine said:
Hi Danger! Where are you from?

And Dr. Mann are you starting 1st med too? How many people from pre med are going into the 1st med class? I wonder how large our entire class will be this year :confused:

Since we're on the subject of laptops...do people usually bring their laptops to class everyday or just leave them at home? I was thinking of getting a laptop backpack but wasn't sure if it was really worth it or not since I will have notes and books (maybe) to deal with.

I heard we get those palm pilot things too during 3rd med.
In reply to lavenderloraine's post: Yes, I'm going into 1st med - just finished pre-med! There were 150 approximately of us, and i think they take in about 50 people into 1st med. So I guess about 200 of us in 1st med! About the laptops: Students take them to class: either to take notes on the ppt or word document, or to surf the net and chat on msn. The school gives you a bag for your laptop. usually people will just bring their laptop and a pad of paper and pen and stuff like that, but not like text books etc etc!

Hope this helps.

In response to Dr.Mann, Does this mean that all pre-meds are not garunteed to get into first year med?

Danger said:
In response to Dr.Mann, Does this mean that all pre-meds are not garunteed to get into first year med?

No, you are! If you pass your exams that is. You get two chances to pass your exams, as there are repeats! But don't think of putting yourself into that sort of position!

How did you find the pre-med year. Diffficult?

What are the courses and anythign i should know before i go. Are there many people who go to RCSI straight out of hishschool?

Danger said:
How did you find the pre-med year. Diffficult?

What are the courses and anythign i should know before i go. Are there many people who go to RCSI straight out of hishschool?

The pre-medical year was a joke, we had way too much time off, but of course everyone was cramming for the final exams. Yeah there are alot of people. Lots of people have usually done a year or two in uni tho!

Are you going into the pre-med year?

Hey,
I'll be entering the 6-year program this year and was wondering when school starts back after the x-mas holidays because i have to book my flight. Is it on that monday (jan 2) or tues (jan 3)? thanks!

dreamer00 said:
Hey,
I'll be entering the 6-year program this year and was wondering when school starts back after the x-mas holidays because i have to book my flight. Is it on that monday (jan 2) or tues (jan 3)? thanks!
TERM DATES
Christmas Holidays : 19.12.05 to 2.1.06 Easter Holidays : 10.04.06 to 21.04.06
Pre-Medical Year 03.10.05 to 27.01.06; 13.02.06 to 09.06.06

FOUNDATION YEAR Exam Schedule

GENERAL, MEDICINAL & PHAR CHEM
17.01.06 (PM)

MEDICAL PHYSICS
23.01.06 (AM)

HUMAN BIOLOGY
25.01.06 (AM)

MEDICAL INFORMATICS
27.01.06 (AM)

CLINICAL PROCESSES
29.05.06 (PM)

HUMAN SYSTEMS 1
30.05.06 (AM)
T.B.A. (practical)

HUMAN SYSTEMS 11
31.05.06 (PM)

HUMAN SYSTEMS 111
26.05.06 (AM)

**I think it's important to remind you that RCSI does change often, and sometimes the dates will vary, but this is atleast something you can work with!! Hope this helps.

Hey guys! I'm going to be in 1st year also and was wondering if someone could tell me what the class schedule is like for first semester. Is it basically a Monday to Friday, 9:00-5:00 thing or are there big breaks in the day? Thanks so much, can't wait to meeting all you guys!

Wandaa said:
Hey guys! I'm going to be in 1st year also and was wondering if someone could tell me what the class schedule is like for first semester. Is it basically a Monday to Friday, 9:00-5:00 thing or are there big breaks in the day? Thanks so much, can't wait to meeting all you guys!
Hey!! You're going to be in my class! Ah, well dude, the bad news is they havent given us a schedule at all as yet, so I can't really tell you anything. And it's ought to be different than last years as they are changing the way they teach, etc etc. I've heard from seniors that 1st med you usually spend alot of time at college - well depends if you want to attend everything, you know what i mean?? Hey, where are you from? pm me :)

Hey, I'm a bit confused about the dates that were listed in a previous post. I remember that at my interview, they told me that RCSI is switching to a semester system like in the U.S. Does that mean that 1st year med students have finals after Christmas break, or are finals before Christmas? And is there another 3-week break (spring break/easter) in the middle of the semester again, before finals at the end of the year??

Are those dates listed for 'foundation year' the same as 1st year med students? (which means that classes start back on the 2ND JAN??)

Thanks for any help, I'm trying to confirm my flight arrangements too, etc...
See you guys soon :)

Hey! Well the dates posted up there are for the pre-medical year - people who are entering into the 6 year program. As for you, our exams will be in January sometime.

TERM DATES
Christmas Holidays : 19.12.05 to 2.1.06 Easter Holidays : 10.04.06 to 21.04.06
1ST Medical Year - Junior Cycle 1
03.10.05 to 27.01.06; 13.02.06 to 09.06.06
Note: Ongoing 1st Med Students begin on 4th October 2005

JUNIOR CYCLE 1 – 1ST MED Exam Schedule

NEUROMUSCULAR
16.01.06 (PM)

HAEMATOLOGY & IMMUNOLOGY
18.01.06 (PM)

NUTRITION & ENERGY
19.01.06 (PM)

HEALTH, BEHAVIOUR & SOCIETY
24.01.06 (AM)

ANATOMY
practical: 25/26.01.06

CARDIORESPIRATORY MODULE
29.05.06 (AM)

GENITOURINARY/ENDOCRINE
31.05.06 (AM)

CLINICAL COMPETENCIES
practical: 01/02.06.06
-

MOLECULAR MEDICINE 10
Written: 06.06.06 (PM)

HEALTH BEHAVIOUR & SOCIETY
Written: 07.06.06 (AM)

ANATOMY
Practical: 08/09.06.06

Hope this helps!

What topics are covered in Medical Physics, Medical Informatrics and Human System 1,2,3

And what is pharm chem and what topics does it cover.

I am right in assuming these "Foundation Year" exams are the same as the first year of the 6-year course?

Hi Wanda!

Great to meet more people in our class! I'm curious too about what our days will be like. I am visiting Dublin next week to find a place and plan to visit the school if I have time. So I will report back anything I find out!

I was talking to this Scottish guy at a party a couple weeks ago and he totally freaked me out! He said that you have to be REALLY careful in Dublin when you go out at night b/c people get mugged all the time there :eek: He says there is a major cabbie shortage and people have to wait forever for their cabs to arrive. So some end up walking home instead and the muggers take advantage of this fact. The guy even told me the muggers don't care if you are walking in a group...they will jump you all anyway and take your money. So he says you have to call a cab and wait for it no matter how long it takes, but don't walk home.

Now I am from the 4th largest city in the US. I know not to go down dark alleys at night and to avoid certain parts of the city. Basically I have common sense and know what not to do. But for those of us living in the city center within walking distance of the pubs, is it really that unsafe? Do people really get jumped alot? I am so afraid now!

Thanks for posting the schedule of exams DrMann. It is little bit annoying that school wouldn't give any kind of info to their future students. I agree the system is different but people need to book flights. Without the help of people on SDN I would never know how the school runs. thanks everybody.
BTW my name's Nav and i am going to be 1st year med.

ShotCalla said:
What topics are covered in Medical Physics, Medical Informatrics and Human System 1,2,3

And what is pharm chem and what topics does it cover.

I am right in assuming these "Foundation Year" exams are the same as the first year of the 6-year course?

The foundation year is the pre-medical year, just they've changed the name for this coming year. And yes the exam dates are like that.

Medical informatics is basically the class in which they teach literally computers. But, like I said before, they are changing alot of things in the school, so things might be completely different than how they were last year. Medical physics is basically physics, but applied to the human body - so you'll for example learn how much damage does a certain type of bullet do to the body depending on the speed of the bullet, etc etc. Or the pressure within your blood vessels, and how it effects certain things. Etc etc....or how an MRI works. Things like that... got it?....

What about all of us who are underage.

Are parties gonna be hard to attend or people really dont care? What abour clubs and bars. I know this may sound silly but are the really picky and are there wys to curb this problem?

Well, if its a college event then no one usually checks..........and if it's not... then i suppose you find other means.....you'll figure it out ...dont worry about it.. just chill

I have a question for those of you who already paid your tuition fee.

Did you pay by bank draft via ABP, or did you pay via direct fund transfer?
if you did a direct fund transfer into RCSI's account did you get any sort of confirmation from the collage?

thanks.

fifi said:
I have a question for those of you who already paid your tuition fee.

Did you pay by bank draft via ABP, or did you pay via direct fund transfer?
if you did a direct fund transfer into RCSI's account did you get any sort of confirmation from the collage?

thanks.
Haven't paid mine as yet - are you going to pay in full or are you going for the half now, half later deal?

LOL ShotCalla. You're not underage here. The drinking "age" is 18, same as carding for clubs and gigs. Of course, most of them have been drinking since 14-15. The big clubs will check ID, pubs won't unless you really look young or something.