RCSI/Dublin Questions!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, more questions:

Are there any books for classes like Anatomy that would be cheaper to get in the U.S. than in Ireland?

Do ppl wear scrubs to gross anatomy lab, and if so, is any color preferred for students?

Things like stethoscopes etc -- wait till I get to Ireland, or buy in the U.S?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

books are generally the same price in ireland as north america, if not cheaper and all the u.s. ones are available so don't waste your valuable luggage space.

no one wears scrubs for gross anatomy dissection (at least not at ucd anyway).

you won't need a stethoscope for 2.5 years so don't even bother yet but when you do, buy it at home because they're overpriced in ireland (like most things).

LavenderLoraine said:
Hi Wanda!

Great to meet more people in our class! I'm curious too about what our days will be like. I am visiting Dublin next week to find a place and plan to visit the school if I have time. So I will report back anything I find out!

I was talking to this Scottish guy at a party a couple weeks ago and he totally freaked me out! He said that you have to be REALLY careful in Dublin when you go out at night b/c people get mugged all the time there :eek: He says there is a major cabbie shortage and people have to wait forever for their cabs to arrive. So some end up walking home instead and the muggers take advantage of this fact. The guy even told me the muggers don't care if you are walking in a group...they will jump you all anyway and take your money. So he says you have to call a cab and wait for it no matter how long it takes, but don't walk home.

Now I am from the 4th largest city in the US. I know not to go down dark alleys at night and to avoid certain parts of the city. Basically I have common sense and know what not to do. But for those of us living in the city center within walking distance of the pubs, is it really that unsafe? Do people really get jumped alot? I am so afraid now!

Dublin is safe enopugh I wouldn't get freaked out. If you live in the city centre then nearly everyone walks home I don9t know anyone who has had any problems obviously don9t be stupid take the main well lit streets and walk in a group. Taxi's aren't too difficult to get a few <ears ago you would have been waiting ages but not any more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering about some few things about RCSI, well i guess they are general mediacl school questions.

So when do you start meeting pattients?
What are electives?
What are rotations and when do they start in RCSI?

What is it called when a medical student learns in different diciplines: surgery, OB/GYN, peds etc

When do you start writing USMLE anmd when do u apply for residencies.

Id appreciate if some of you could help me because i want to be crystal clear about all the things ill be facing in med school.

Thanks alot

O ya and what are electives and when do you start those?

Dunno when RCSI will start introducing patients in, but traditionally it's during your clinical years (yrs. 3-6). Those are rotations. Ob/gyn, psych, peds, etc. - those are "core" rotations (in the US, they are considered core). Other rotations (in various fields of surgery and medicine) are just rotations. The specific medicine and surgery rotations happen in 6th year when you're practicing for finals. Electives are rotations you organize yourself in whatever field you desire. All you have to do is approach a consultant (email, in person, phone call, etc) and ask their permission to rotation with them. Electives do not have to be completed through your school's teaching hospital.

You do your USMLE Step 1 after you've done all your pre-clinical classes (after you finish path). Generally, after 4th year. Some people choose to do it in 5th year. You apply for residencies during 6th year, but maybe have to play with timing of interviews and things. Some people choose to do an intern year here and would thus apply then.

Hey guys,
I know that this may be a stupid question, but nonetheless it's a question. For the people that have stayed at Mercer Court or will be staying at Mercer Court, I have a question about cable TV and the shows that we can watch at Mercer Court. Seeing that I am from the US, there are tons of shows that I watch and I am curious to see if I will be able to see them in Dublin.
So I wanted to know if these shows are available in Dublin:
OC, NipTuck, Laguna Beach, The Real World, and Over There. Can someone tell me if I would be able to see these shows on the TV's in Mercer court. Also, for these shows are there delays in the showings, in that what comes on in Dublin is later than it comes on in the US or are both realtime.
Please let me know, what I watch in my free time is somewhat important.
Thanks..
ST :D

Regular basic cable subscribers (what RCSI would probably be getting) get the OC and Nip Tuck - think they're on non-cable channels as well. To my knowledge, we don't get the other three. Don't know about the delays. Since they're popular shows, probably only a couple months behind...the season would end the same year. I really think your mind probably has better things to occupy itself with than worrying about what tv programs you can watch. If you really can't stand missing anything, get parents/friends to buy you the seasons when they come out on DVD.

I was curiuos when othere people are planning on getting to Dublin for the start of school. Maybe there are other people already there that I could meet up with when I move in early and we can all hang out, so that no one is lonely in the new city. I plan to arrive to Dublin on the 29th of September, so let me know if there are other people arriving that time that want to hang out. I will be living in Mercer Court.

hi. i will be landing on the 29th of september too and am going to stay in mercer court this coming year. I would love to hang out. have you contacted the school regarding somebody picking people up from airport? they say on rcsi website that this service is available.

Nah, I didnt know that they had that. Tell me more about this service. Also what is your contact info, either send me a message on here, or email me so that we can at least know to maybe get the same service from the airport. Where are you coming from and what time are you arriving to Dublin?

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned earlier, I took a trip to Dublin last week to look for housing. While I was there, I visited RCSI and got some more info. First thing...vacation dates which I think have been posted before. For my own simplicity and comfort, I'll post them in the format MM/DD/YY.

Winter Break/Christmas holidays (during Module 1): 12/19/05 to 1/2/06
Semester Break (b/w Modules 1 and 2): 1/30/06 to 2/10/06
Easter Break (during Module 2): 04/10/06 to 04/21/06

I was told that last year they had a white-coat ceremony 3 weeks into the 1st Module, and that they were planning to do the same thing again this year.

Now about class size and structure. My tour guide informed me that pretty much the only time our entire class of 200 is together on a normal day is for the big lecture in the O'Flanigan Lecture Hall (seats 400 so it is known as the 1st med lecture room). We will be introduced to that particular lecture hall during orientation. Then, we're divided into groups of about 25 to attend "tutorials" later in the day with professors. This is for the purpose of keeping classes smaller and more manageable so the students get more individual attention.

Standing in the hallway by 1st med lecture hall, if you look outside across the street you'll notice a really old, dilapidated, red-brick building. RCSI has purchased the land beneath that building and the plan is to demolish it soon and begin construction on a new recreation facility (and I think it might also be a residence as well if I heard him correctly but don't quote me on that). Guide said it should take 18 months once they start. They were supposed to start in June, he says. The current gym is quite small. Not much equipment either. The cool thing is they have someone on staff there who will guide you in working-out, assessing your excercises, etc.

The anatomy room is being renovated right now. And by that I mean they were painting it off-white. It looked like it used to be yellow or something. I don't know what else they've done. It has some cool columns throughout. Very unique, at least compared to what I've seen in the US.

Apparently the school likes to throw wine parties for the students. Especially the biology club I think it is. I also got the impression that there are nice parties for the fellows, visiting physicians, conferences, etc. These parties are held in the old building depicted on most of the brochures for the school. I was also told there is a formal for the students in January.

Lunch time here in Ireland is from 1 to 2, by the way. I know that where I'm from, it is at noon. The cafeteria is small as well. I don't know how crowded it gets or not, but it sells the warm food. There is another little deli area in the basement that sells sandwiches and cold food.

That's all I can think of for now! Hope this gives people a little more of an idea of what to expect, although I'm not sure I have the clearest picture since I was only visiting a few hours. :)

Hi LavenderLoraine

Thanks for updating us. I always wanted to know what the situation of school was like and tried looking up some pictures but couldn't find anything other than the front main building. Your reply gives a sense of what the school is like and the surroundings. What did you thought of the weather there?

Everybody else, here's some info regarding the meet and greet service

MEET AND GREET SERVICE: The College offers new students a complimentary welcome on arrival service, including transfer from Dublin International Airport to your accommodation in Dublin. When you have finalized your travel arrangements you should contact Travel Places, Ltd. in Dublin to make the necessary arrangements. Their URL is www.travelplaces.ie/rcsi

I emailed the contact they had listed on the website but he hasn't replied back yet. Does anybody know anything about meet and greet service offered by RCSI or has used in past?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey not sure if im too late.. but i would be happy to answer your questions... email me at [email protected]

just that there has been so many posts to this thread i cant read it all... takes too long and requires too much reading! hehehe

one question did catch my eye...

i hope im not ofending anyone, but after coming back from my elective in slovakia... and been to various other european countries, irish women are not the hottest item! :( then again neither are the british! hehe

this is just my opinion...

and yes there are way hotter girls in nyc and college station, texas.. etc..

Hey Lavender,
Good WOrk! Anyways, what is the story with exams? Are you still going to go away for Christmas time and head back to the States? Also, what happens during semester break, do people have work or basically its off from school and people are free to do whatever they want? Other people, feel free to give your own feedback as well.

Hey,
Lavender, thanks for the informative post! I look forward to other replies re the 'semester break' (i.e. is there work, or is it completely off??)

Also, is anyone attending RCSI living off-campus? If so, have you found anywhere yet? Are you mostly looking in Dublin 2 and 1? I am trying to find 1 bdrm apts using www.daft.ie; but it seems that most places (and most ppl I've talked to) recommend viewing places before agreeing to rent them..that's fine with me, but I'm a bit concerned about finding somewhere not too far from RCSI, being new to Dublin and all. I am arriving on the 26th, do you think that gives me enough time to find an apartment?
Thanks a lot!

My impression was that the break in February b/w Modules 1 and 2 is completely off, so I wouldn't expect work in between. Might be a good time to travel (be it explore Ireland, Europe, return home, or whatever) since it's a good 2 weeks.

As far as the traditional break for winter/Christmas, the decision to travel is yours! Personally, I'm going home. My family would freak-out if I didn't, plus going home that time of year just feels right to me :) Exams don't begin for another 2-3 weeks after we return (based on the schedule posted earlier on this thread), so I figure I can goof off at home for a week or so, and then start to study a bit the second week of break. Hard core studying will resume when I return. But wanting to go home may not be the case for everyone, and also some people just need more study or quiet time and can't get that while home! So you'll just have to figure out the best compromise between seeing family/friends and studying.

Hi guys i will also be starting in 1st year med (5yr program) in October 2005 at RCSI and staying in mercer court too.

I have some friends whom are studying med at trinity college and they say that mercer court is a top place to stay. They are also very impressed with all the irish medical schools so no need to be concerned.

Anyway catch u in october

hey guys... i just discovered this thing... i'm gonna be a 1st med at RCSI but i was a premed last year so i've already been over here for a year... wow this thread is long and by virtue of being way too lazy to read it all i just thought i'd put my screename up here and let ya'll IM if you had any questions... my AIM screename is lilsgal67... it looked like most of ya'll were american so i'm guessing ya'll have AIM... but if not.. my email is [email protected] ... k hopefully i'll hear from some of you soon :)

Hey there folks.. Alright I have a question about cell phones. I am from the US and I have lots of family and friends there, so what should I do about getting a cell phone or calling them. Can someone give me the rundown about what is the best way to get a cell phone in Ireland and how I can use it to call my fellow students but also call family and friends overseas. Also, How should I tell my friends/family from the US to contact me in Ireland? I know this may seem as a dumb question, but I'm sure others from the US reading this could also use this information. Also I'll be living in Mercer Court too
Thanks.. :D

One of first purchases should be a mobile phone. Or if you like yours from the US, and it's triband, just bring it over and get a sim card. There's O2 stores and Vodafone stores all over the place, as well as carphone warehouses . All you have to do is walk down grafton street which is 2 seconds from RCSI

Look here: www.o2.ie , www.vodafone.ie, www.carphonewarehouse.ie, www.3G.ie

leorl said:
One of first purchases should be a mobile phone. Or if you like yours from the US, and it's triband, just bring it over and get a sim card. There's O2 stores and Vodafone stores all over the place, as well as carphone warehouses . All you have to do is walk down grafton street which is 2 seconds from RCSI

Look here: www.o2.ie , www.vodafone.ie, www.carphonewarehouse.ie, www.3G.ie

why not try www.meteor.ie

btw, not in any way affiliated with meteor or its subsidiaries :D

karganeth said:
why not try www.meteor.ie

btw, not in any way affiliated with meteor or its subsidiaries :D

Because it's rubbish. Coverage is awful especially outside Dublin.

medgirl20 said:
Because it's rubbish. Coverage is awful especially outside Dublin.
That's such a myth. Coverage is fine now. I don't live in Dublin, travel all over Ireland for sports, and have never once not had service.

When I used to live in Dublin and meteor just came out I remember it used to suck. Now all the Irish seem to stick with O2 and every foreigner uses meteor because it's such a better deal.

One bad thing about meteor though - they don't seem to have service aggreements with other countries so you can't use your phone when travelling unless you sign up for another service. Still, for free meteor texting or 5 cent per minute calls (depending on when you signed up), it's worth it.

So honestly for prices and service quality, which is the best provider: O2, Meteor, or Vodafone?
Get back to me!!!

I don't think the free texts are going to stay for much longer. And the fact that they don't have roaming contracts and they suck :) wouldn't make me go for them. Meteor would only work if you convinced all your friends to go on meteor too.

LLBeer said:
So honestly for prices and service quality, which is the best provider: O2, Meteor, or Vodafone?
Get back to me!!!

For me, the choice was between Vodaphone and O2. After talking with several people, my impression was that O2 is a bit pricier than Vodaphone but that both offer good service quality. In the end, I chose Vodaphone because O2 charges you to check your voice messages (and Vodaphone does not). Keep in mind I was comparing pre-paid plans and not ones with monthly contracts.

I make a lot of calls so I'm on pay monthly. You generally don't need to start off on pay monthly though. I'm with O2...I don't think either company really saves you that much money. People I know with vodafone spend craploads, but I'm sure people with O2 do as well. I usually use up all my free webtexts. Both companies are fairly equal, so sign up with whoever seems to be offering promotions or better deals at the time you look.

if i were recommending a mobile company, i'd go with o2....meteor is fine in dublin, with some exceptions, ie no reception in the basement of earlsfort terrace. o2 has slightly better rates than vodafone but like leorl said, if you text a lot, the bottom line is you'll pay a lot. you could just be shifty and use payphones all the time while looking over your shoulder....

to everyone at ucd, i'll see most/all of you at the med soc welcome back shindig at the russell court next thursday....and i'll be absolutely peeled...i love med school in ireland....

to be clear meteor is probably the best priced and it's coverage is getting better...just about everyonw i know who went with vodafone or o2 in first year has switched....the ncie thing about meteor was that when most of us signed up we got free meteor to meteor texts for life....that makes it hard to give up....

Hello everybody. I am a Canadian who has just finished high school, (got my ontario secondary school diploma) and am living in malaysia for the moment. i will be going to rcsi in the fall for the 6 year program, and will be living in Mercer Court. I'll be taking a single room, but i still wanted to get to know anyone else who will also be at Mercer Court at the same time. This thread has been very useful so far (a lot of my questions and uncertainties have been answered by this thread) and so I just wanted to get to know some of you, and maybe have some contacts before i go.

Hey I'm going to be in Mercer Court too. Feel free to write me a message, but tell us more about yourself.

globalnomad said:
Hello everybody. I am a Canadian who has just finished high school, (got my ontario secondary school diploma) and am living in malaysia for the moment. i will be going to rcsi in the fall for the 6 year program, and will be living in Mercer Court. I'll be taking a single room, but i still wanted to get to know anyone else who will also be at Mercer Court at the same time. This thread has been very useful so far (a lot of my questions and uncertainties have been answered by this thread) and so I just wanted to get to know some of you, and maybe have some contacts before i go.

Hey, I'm going to be in Mercer Court as well. I've done two years undergrad. PM any time.

LLBeer said:
Hey I'm going to be in Mercer Court too. Feel free to write me a message, but tell us more about yourself.

Ok then. i'm fresh out of high school, i'm seventeen years old, although i will be eighteen soon.. umm.. i'm a girl... yep.. i'm living in malaysia right now because my family works here but i visit home quite often (home for me would be canada).. and... i'm repeating myself arent i.. :p well i dont really know what else to say.. haha what would you like to know?

oh, one question: about the laptops that we get from rcsi, when do we get them? once classes start or before?

globalnomad said:
oh, one question: about the laptops that we get from rcsi, when do we get them? once classes start or before?

Laptops are given out sometime during Freshers week usually on the Tuesday or Wednesday they make announcements in class about when everyone has to collect them.

Hey everyone! I'm so happy I stumbled over your thread, it's great. I'll be starting the 5 year programme this year on Oct. 3rd and can't wait to meet you all. I'm 17 and just out of school here in Dublin. I'm a little worried about the classes in pharmacology and such since I've never studied chemistry. I've never done biology either but I've heard it's easy to pick up. Can anyone advise me please?

for those of you who are going to stay in mercer court. have you received any confirmation letter or email? do you know which room you have yet? or do we not find out until we get there?

hey there, I'll be in mercer court too. I still dont know my room number, my roommates, any of that. I kind of annoys me, but still all I know is that I have a room reserved. Anyone else have similar luck or better luck?