This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

skipper5

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this has been posted about many times, but I wanted to get updated info since I understand things have changed over the years.

Here's my situation:
I'm a Canadian who will be attending RCSI for the GEM (4-year) program in September. I'm going to be 22. I'm more on the quiet/studious side but I still like to be social and have fun here and there. I'm not opposed to living with younger students in the 5 and 6 year programs, but I would ideally like to meet other GEM people. I would prefer having my own room and washroom. Cost is a factor, but I would be willing to pay more for comfort/a better experience.

Here are some questions:
1. I've read that in first year, the GEM courses are all held at facilities away from downtown, is that true?
2. There are two on-campus RCSI residence buildings, Mercer and Millan, but are those available to GEM students?
3. If Mercer and Millan are open to GEM, do they tend to have a good amount of GEM students in first year living there?
4. Out of Mercer Millan, which is better? I hear Mercer but it seems to be a personal preference thing?
5. Based on the info I gave, do you have any recommendations/advice?

Thanks a lot if you take the time to answer! A few years down the line, I'll be sure to pass along info to the next new batch of students 🙂
 
I know this has been posted about many times, but I wanted to get updated info since I understand things have changed over the years.

Here's my situation:
I'm a Canadian who will be attending RCSI for the GEM (4-year) program in September. I'm going to be 22. I'm more on the quiet/studious side but I still like to be social and have fun here and there. I'm not opposed to living with younger students in the 5 and 6 year programs, but I would ideally like to meet other GEM people. I would prefer having my own room and washroom. Cost is a factor, but I would be willing to pay more for comfort/a better experience.

Here are some questions:
1. I've read that in first year, the GEM courses are all held at facilities away from downtown, is that true?
2. There are two on-campus RCSI residence buildings, Mercer and Millan, but are those available to GEM students?
3. If Mercer and Millan are open to GEM, do they tend to have a good amount of GEM students in first year living there?
4. Out of Mercer Millan, which is better? I hear Mercer but it seems to be a personal preference thing?
5. Based on the info I gave, do you have any recommendations/advice?

Thanks a lot if you take the time to answer! A few years down the line, I'll be sure to pass along info to the next new batch of students 🙂
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hey! Congrats on getting accepted! I am an RCSI GEM 2017 applicant myself though I'm from Ireland. We don't receive confirmation on acceptance/rejection until between August 3rd-5th so there is still a bit of a wait to be had on my part but I'm pretty hopeful as it stands right now.

I unfortunately can't answer many of your questions but I'll give it a shot:
1. Apparently a lot of the teaching for first year GEM's is done in the Reservoir House in Sandyford (Reservoir House, Sandyford - Royal College Surgeons in Ireland). Sandyford is an area in the south of Dublin City.
2 & 3. As far as I am aware they are available to GEM's but are most popular among the first time undergrads.
4. NA
5. NA

I hope that helped in some way though no doubt you've figured a lot of stuff out since this thread was posted. If you're interested in sharing accommodation give me a shout, I haven't done much house hunting yet myself but I'd love to live with some fellow GEMs if possible!