This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLG233

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been a registered dietitian for about 1.5 years, working inpatient at a large pediatric academic hospital. I work closely with attendings, fellows, residents, and medical students via rounds. However, over the past 6 months or so, I've become very dissatisfied with my job and have been thinking about going back to PA school. I would love to be involved in taking care of the whole patient rather than just one specific subsystem. While this may be specific to the hospital where I work, I also feel undervalued and would love it if I could take a larger role in patient care. I'm wondering if there are any other RDs out there who transitioned to the PA profession and what that was like. I would want to work in pediatric acute or critical care (primary care isn't for me). Insight into any of the following is appreciated!
- Any RDs --> PAs; what was the transition like, did you feel prepared?
- I would likely move to a different city for PA school. I would move solo and it's likely that I wouldn't know anyone (maybe 1 or 2 people) wherever I move. Kind of worried about loneliness since I know PA school is so busy, so any insight into this concern is appreciated!
- How did you go about choosing a school? If I want to do pediatric acute or critical care, are there any programs that are best suited to this?
- How long was the application process? (including open house, researching programs, taking the GRE) What was your timeline for applying?
- What is financial aid like for PA programs?

Also considering a MSN (clinical nurse leader since my BS is in dietetics) vs. finding another job and going for a MHA while working, possibly followed by a DrPH or PhD in public health (still exploring if this would be a career I would enjoy).

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

- Any RDs --> PAs; what was the transition like, did you feel prepared?
- I would likely move to a different city for PA school. I would move solo and it's likely that I wouldn't know anyone (maybe 1 or 2 people) wherever I move. Kind of worried about loneliness since I know PA school is so busy, so any insight into this concern is appreciated!
- How did you go about choosing a school? If I want to do pediatric acute or critical care, are there any programs that are best suited to this?
- How long was the application process? (including open house, researching programs, taking the GRE) What was your timeline for applying?
- What is financial aid like for PA programs?

Also considering a MSN (clinical nurse leader since my BS is in dietetics) vs. finding another job and going for a MHA while working, possibly followed by a DrPH or PhD in public health (still exploring if this would be a career I would enjoy).

Thanks so much!

I can only answer a few of your question since I'm an RN, not a RD.

You will make friends in class. I knew no one at my med school. And you will have time outside of school to do stuff.
Financial aid is similar to all graduate programs. Grad plus loans and Staffords.

If you want to TREAT patients don't be an MSN or CNL. You will be disappointed with your scope of practice.