Re-Applicant Buddies for September

Started by IAMS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IAMS

in the scheme of things
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds like lots of people are getting interviews. Since I was an August MCAT-er, I believe most of my schools are waiting for my scores - no invites yet, but I still have a few secondaries to send out. Money is a bit tight this year, gas and other things as you might guess puts the pinch.

I haven't sent in my 2ndary for Tulane, I'm wondering if I should bother.. anyone been able to contact the school? I doubt anyone will be there for months.
 
check out the "rumor" thread in pre-allo regarding tulane. There is some good information there. Also, aamc.org has information regarding Tulane's administration.
 
I'm waiting on MCAT scores as well, but I got a secondary and interview invite from one of my state schools (ECU). I get the feeling this will be my only interview until the end of October. And even then, once my scores are released I will get automatic rejections from all the other schools. 😳 I know it is normal to become more uncertain about the MCAT the longer it has been since you took it, but man, I sure feel like I bombed it.

And this was my third time. Good thing I have that rejection letter from last year to send in when I have to register in April! 😀

I hope you guys without interviews start getting some soon!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's my update:

Secondaries from everywhere. Decision deferred at WVSOM (probably to see Aug MCAT)

I have an acceptance to a carib school. It was a hard decision whether or not to send my deposit in. Sending in the deposit would limit the number of DO schools I can complete my applications to. Not sending it in may have left me with nowhere to go in 2006. I decided to send it, as any med school is better than no med school.

Application was completed at PCOM-GA (interviewed last year) about a week ago and haven't heard anything. Decision deferred at WVSOM (offered interview last year) when I was anticipating an interview.

I haven't really messed with any other schools yet, as WVSOM and PCOM-GA were my top choices. I'd honestly rather go to the Caribbean than most of the other schools.
 
Hey guys, not much activity on our thread lately.

I'm here to complain. Sorry. 😳

I just had to call and reschedule my interview (was 9-14, I changed to 9-28) at ECU. I'm really feeling uncertain about this. I rescheduled because it's an 8 hour drive for me and I didn't want to get there and have the school be closed due to Ophelia.

When I called this morning, I didn't get much help from the lady on the phone. She said I had to use my own judgement, and that I could call a number Tuesday night and see if the school was going to be open on Wednesday. But I was going to leave today and drive over there, so I didn't want to waste gas and hotel money just to have my interview be postponed anyway.

But I felt like I was this huge inconvenience. I hope I haven't hurt my chances at this school, because it's one of my top choices.

It's not my fault that there's a hurricane that can't be predicted! 🙁

Okay, I'm done complaining. Thanks for listening.
 
Ok. Update. Got secondaries and I'm complete at all MD schools and all DO schools I applied to.

The good: Got interviews at UNECOM, MSUCOM, DMUCOM, and VCU. I'm interviewing at DMUCOM on 9/20, VCU 9/26 and UNECOM 9/28. I put off MSUCOM until 10/25 figuring if one of the other three gave me an acceptance I'd cancel it. I just can't afford the oos tuition at MSUCOM.

The bad: I got rejected from KCOM (can you believe that? interview at MD school and rejected at DO school). But they did invite me to apply to their masters of science program to "strengthen my application". I guess a 3.4 aacomas sci gpa isn't that good in KCOMs eyes. :laugh: Ah, well. KCOM wasn't that high on my list anyway.
 
Where is everyone? I haven't seen ingamina in a while. I hope everything is okay.

congrats on the VCU interview, Shyrem. I got my secondary in August, but I'm still waiting on MCAT scores I guess, because I haven't heard a peep from them.
 
I'm complete at almost all of my schools. My PI at NIH is currently writing me an extra letter for me to send to schools. I have my first interview friday at Georgetown, and then my second next tuesday at UMass. I have a phone interview with the Mayo Clinic this tuesday and my Tulane interview is postponed until further notice I'm assuming. I'm just anxiously waiting to hear from all the other schools. Oh and I have 4 graduate exams on top of my interviews in the next 9 days 😱

Jim
 
congrats on all the interviews, guys. 👍

i just recently had my interview at GW (really awesome place) and i have another scheduled at Drexel for mid-October. i just received a slew of complete notices, so hopefully i'll get a few more invites.

good luck, everyone.
 
Hi Folks!
I've been swamped, it's been a crazy couple of weeks. I did get my first interview invite, though, OSU (Ohio). Unexpected, most schools have me on hold until MCAT scores come out - and I don't think my LOR committee letter has been sent out yet.. but no arguments here.
This feels so much better than last time, I didn't get my first interview invite until January (my second came in March) - which probably tells you how late I applied!
Still trying to finish my applications, though, I know the clock's ticking, but doing this on a budget means I have to spread them out, so I'm applying to my first choice schools first, and saving 2nd choices for now and later.

Now about Tulane.. I am still holding on to my 2ndary there, I think it would be an exciting place to be, but I'm concerned about all the toxicity reports I'm hearing, and how it took 10 years to make "Love Canal" safe with similar chemical and biological problems.. If I do end up going there, I'd have to ship in bottled water. Just waiting to hear more about the prognosis, and if they will in fact be open by next year as planned.
 
Good to see you post, ingamina. Congrats on your interview!

Yeah, I hear you about early interviews. I got my one and only interview last year at the end of January. I hate being an August MCATer again this year, but at least I've gotten three secondaries and an interview at ECU.

Hopefully there will be many more to come for us!
 
I too am a reapplicant. I'm pretty much complete everywhere and I actually had my first interview today at Drexel. I think it went very well. I should hear a decision in 6-8 weeks according to the dean. I've got another interview at UConn in December, but that's it so far. Hopefully more will come my way. I received secondaries from all the schools that screen that I applied to (VCU, Wake, EVMS, Loyola). Hopefully something will come of that but we'll have to wait and see. Best of luck to everyone this time around.
 
Had my phone interview with Mayo today, it was pretty weird,they just read questions and you talk into a tape recorder basically. But, they said I would hear within 2 weeks, so we'll see(i'm expecting a thin envelope).... I also came home to a interview invite from Penn State, which is nice, so thats #5 if you include the phone interview. Lets hope we all get many more.....

Jim
 
Hey medstylee-
When did you apply to GW and Drexel. I have complete applications at both places and was wondering how long I may be waiting to hear about an interview.
Also what about the Penn State interview, I applied there as well and have a complete application. I had an interview at ECU about three weeks ago, so I was excited about that and have the itch to keep getting more. So good luck to everyone, I was excited to find this board, you guys have some quality info up here.
By the way I'm also a reapplicant, I had one late interview last year at ECU, improved my MCATS and grads, taking graduate classes (supposed to be at Tulane and now at Pitt), and hoping for the best.

medstylee said:
congrats on all the interviews, guys. 👍

i just recently had my interview at GW (really awesome place) and i have another scheduled at Drexel for mid-October. i just received a slew of complete notices, so hopefully i'll get a few more invites.

good luck, everyone.
 
Well, the word on the street is that MCAT scores will be out two weeks from today. Crossing my fingers for those of you who are waiting on scores.

I had my ECU interview on Wednesday. I hope it went as well as I think it did, and I really liked the school and the students there. It seems like a great place to be.

Maybe all of us on this thread will have at least one acceptance by December! That would be great. :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had another MCAT dream last night, first one in a long time..
I had come across a very official source that had scores TODAY - so everyone went to a specific auditorium (it must have been a HUGE auditorium to fit everyone) -and at the front was a stack of papers in alphabetical order and envelopes.. I got a glimpse of my paper, and it said 38Q!!! What a dream - can you imagine what you'd do with a score like that? Haha... then I looked again, and it was a 38O, and I felt terrible about that O.. 😳 Then I woke up. 🙁
 
I had another MCAT dream last night, first one in a long time..
I had come across a very official source that had scores TODAY - so everyone went to a specific auditorium (it must have been a HUGE auditorium to fit everyone) -and at the front was a stack of papers in alphabetical order and envelopes.. I got a glimpse of my paper, and it said 38Q!!! What a dream - can you imagine what you'd do with a score like that? Haha... then I looked again, and it was a 38O, and I felt terrible about that O.. 😳 Then I woke up. 🙁
 
I had another MCAT dream last night, first one in a long time..
I had come across a very official source that had scores TODAY - so everyone went to a specific auditorium (it must have been a HUGE auditorium to fit everyone) -and at the front was a stack of papers in alphabetical order and envelopes.. I got a glimpse of my paper, and it said 38Q!!! What a dream - can you imagine what you'd do with a score like that? Haha... then I looked again, and it was a 38O, and I felt terrible about that O.. 😳 Then I woke up. 🙁
 
Wow ingamina, great score! 😉 I hope you can get close to that on the real thing. I'd be happy myself with just a 29 or 30. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised Thursday night/Friday morning. Only six more days!

Good luck, everyone!
 
6 days to go.

I'm sending out positive energy on your behalf, Sally! Good luck :luck:
 
deacondan16 said:
Hey medstylee-
When did you apply to GW and Drexel. I have complete applications at both places and was wondering how long I may be waiting to hear about an interview.

deacondan16,
sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. i haven't been on here in a little while. in any case, i was complete at gw on august 15 (or around there) and my invitation letter was dated a day later. i had my interview there about a month ago. for drexel, i believe i was complete some time in late august and i received my interview invitation about 3 weeks after that. time frames are probably different now since it's later in the application season. in any case, best of luck to you.