Re-applicant seeking advice for upcoming cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Obelisk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I applied relatively late (most secondaries completed in October) to about 14 MD-PhD programs this cycle and have not had promising results. I interviewed with one state school and have been rejected from all others so far. I believe my issues lie in not having substantial clinical/volunteering experience, but I would still appreciate your opinions. My background is as follows:

GPA: ~3.7/4.0 small liberal arts school. Biochemistry major
MCAT: 510 (127 C/P, 125 CR, 129B, 129P/S). 84% overall
Publications: 2 - both in high impact journals (e.g. Nature), one second authorship. Currently have a smaller publication in the works and another large publication in a few months.
Clinical Experience: ~45 hours shadowing residents and attending physician
Volunteering: None
Non-trad - second year post-graduation, working at a high-caliber research institute as a research associate and lab manager.
I've done research since my freshman year of college and have worked in 4 different laboratories. LORs were from 2 different PI's, a grad-student/current post-doc I worked closely with, and my school's committee. All of which were strong.

I am thinking of re-applying early this cycle but including a few MD-only programs this time. I'm wondering if I should retake the MCAT or focus purely on increasing my clinical hours. I have a very busy schedule and it was difficult to find sufficient time for studying last cycle. If I am to retake it I should begin reviewing material asap. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you need more clinical volunteering in a health care setting. Your MCAT and GPA are fine so no need for a retake. Where is your state of residence?

Yes, you need more clinical volunteering in a health care setting. Your MCAT and GPA are fine so no need for a retake. Where is your state of residence?
Thanks Faha. State of residence is MA. Interestingly, I haven't heard from UMASS but have been interviewed by another public school out of state.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
UMass
BU
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Hey The Obelisk,
I think you need several hundreds of hours of volunteering time, at least. It doesn't really matter where you volunteer so find somewhere that you like that's medically related :). Your main problem is probably that the committee is not convinced that you want to be a doctor and volunteering more will make that more convincing. I also think it may be better to get a different LOR from a PI/professor instead of post-doc/grad student.

Best of Luck,
Jeepers.Weeprs

Thanks for the input from both of you, definitely going to try fit in more volunteering before the new cycle.

Faha: No interview from tufts this time around. Might have been due to a relatively late submission. Hopefully can change that this cycle.