General Admissions & OTCAS Re-applicant Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobihaha

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As a second year applicant to OT programs, I wanted to start a thread for anyone who has conquered OTCAS and the application process for the second (or third) year in a row. I am nervous, yet super excited to hear back from schools. Last year I applied to SJSU (fairly late - mid december) and was rejected. I took the year off to gain experience in the field and reflect on who I was and what about me made me a good candidate for OT. I applied to 6 schools this year - SJSU, St. Augustine San Marcos, Colorado State University, UIC, Boston University and USC. I spent much more time on my personal statement and supplemental essays. I believe (and I am hoping) this will pay off in the end. What's your experience been like? Also please feel free to post your re-applicant success stories so we can congratulate and celebrate! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I am in the same boat as well! I applied to schools last year in the Philadelphia area but was rejected (I applied close to the deadlines). this year I am hopeful I am going to get in. Ive expanded the schools I want to apply to, and I got stronger LORs. So far I was waitlisted at a school in PA. Hopefully this year will be better for the both of us! Good luck you got this!!

I applied last minute in 2014 with a weak application. This year I'm reapplying, this time as a much different applicant. In 2014, I applied to only 3 schools--all in Philadelphia. What I've since learned is that some of the most competitive programs in the country are in Philadelphia, so they weed out based on gre scores and then cut down their list of applicants from there more holistically.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat as well! I applied to schools last year in the Philadelphia area but was rejected (I applied close to the deadlines). this year I am hopeful I am going to get in. Ive expanded the schools I want to apply to, and I got stronger LORs. So far I was waitlisted at a school in PA. Hopefully this year will be better for the both of us! Good luck you got this!!

Ah I wish you the best of luck! :) Awesome that you've heard back from one school already, have they mentioned anything about the waitlist? 2018 is going to be the year, I can feel it. I ended up getting accepted to my number 1 school, SJSU! I think they definitely consider the fact that we're second time applicants. What other schools did you apply to this round?

I applied last minute in 2014 with a weak application. This year I'm reapplying, this time as a much different applicant. In 2014, I applied to only 3 schools--all in Philadelphia. What I've since learned is that some of the most competitive programs in the country are in Philadelphia, so they weed out based on gre scores and then cut down their list of applicants from there more holistically.

Ah, I personally hated taking the GRE and I do not believe it is an accurate measure of student success or potential. However, I guess in the schools defense its easier to cut down based on GRE first then look at the applications holistically. I hope you hear back from schools soon! This is going to be the year. We are going to be OTs :happy: Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I LOVE that positivity!!! I'm cheering you on! Please update me on how things are going for you. We got this! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Ah I wish you the best of luck! :) Awesome that you've heard back from one school already, have they mentioned anything about the waitlist? 2018 is going to be the year, I can feel it. I ended up getting accepted to my number 1 school, SJSU! I think they definitely consider the fact that we're second time applicants. What other schools did you apply to this round?
What I love about sjsu is the affordable tuition. I didn't apply but I thought about it.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Hi everyone!

As a second year applicant to OT programs, I wanted to start a thread for anyone who has conquered OTCAS and the application process for the second (or third) year in a row. I am nervous, yet super excited to hear back from schools. Last year I applied to SJSU (fairly late - mid december) and was rejected. I took the year off to gain experience in the field and reflect on who I was and what about me made me a good candidate for OT. I applied to 6 schools this year - SJSU, St. Augustine San Marcos, Colorado State University, UIC, Boston University and USC. I spent much more time on my personal statement and supplemental essays. I believe (and I am hoping) this will pay off in the end. What's your experience been like? Also please feel free to post your re-applicant success stories so we can congratulate and celebrate! :soexcited:
Hi There! I am applying to OT schools this fall...What do you mean supplemental essays? Also can you give pointers on how you cleaned up your personal statement? I'd really appreciate it! Thank you

I LOVE that positivity!!! I'm cheering you on! Please update me on how things are going for you. We got this! :D

I hope everything is going great with you! Have you heard back yet? Just submitted my intent to enroll at SJSU today! Their affordable tuition was one of the main selling points for me, but I also love their international travel requirement :)

I hope everything is going great with you! Have you heard back yet? Just submitted my intent to enroll at SJSU today! Their affordable tuition was one of the main selling points for me, but I also love their international travel requirement :)
Pm'ing you!

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Hi There! I am applying to OT schools this fall...What do you mean supplemental essays? Also can you give pointers on how you cleaned up your personal statement? I'd really appreciate it! Thank you

Hi!

Each school I applied to (SJSU, UIC, USC, CSU, BU) except for St. Augustine required a supplemental essay in addition to the personal statement submitted through OTCAS. This is your school specific essay asking you why you want to go to USC, SJSU, etc. and then giving them more insight into what you want to do and why you are a good fit for the program. However, both Boston and Colorado had prompts that asked about a time you elicited change and the effects of that change. Don't stress about these essays too much - they are typically much shorter than your personal statement but important because you can spend more time aligning your goals with the programs goals.

In regards to my personal statement - my biggest advice is to keep it PERSONAL! My first attempt applying I wrote a very generic statement about my experience volunteering and why it made me want to be an OT. This time around I challenged myself to answer the question - what about me personally (experiences, traits, passions) will make me a good OT? Everyone applying will have good volunteer experience. You need to set yourself apart by talking about who you are. I chose to start my essay talking about how I have grown up with a chronic illness and how it got me involved in healthcare and helping others overcome boundaries. Think about who you are, what you've gone through, and what makes you, YOU. Do not rush writing, take your time, and have others (but not too many people) read your statement. The first time around I had around 7 people read my essay. Everyone will have their own opinion of what or how you should write. You have to stick with what makes you feel strongest and happiest! Remember this statement is about you. I believe the statement is incredibly important - I was rejected last year, changed only my statement and have been accepted to every school thus far. The process of applying will test you and stress you out. Remember to take time to engage in self-care. This is only temporary and the reward of working in a career doing what you love is so worth it! I wish you the best of luck! :)

Reactions: 4 users