Re-Apply during or after post-bacc/Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey people,

This shouldn't be a hard question to answer, but I'm hesitant to ask a certain school this question in case they look down upon me applying to other schools afterwards.

Currently, I am sitting on a waitlist to ACOM and waiting to hear back from LECOM-Seton Hill. I am thinking of applying to a M.A. BMS program at Midwestern CCOM or to Rosalind Franklin's BMS program to boost my gpa's (2.95 sGPA, 3.2 uGPA, 508 MCAT) and reapply to more DO/MD schools. I have not yet taken Biochemistry.

My question is, will I be automatically denied (again) to the programs that require a 3.2 sGPA and Biochem , or am I able to still apply in AACOMAS/AMCAS while I am enrolled into a post-bacc/Masters program? I am under the impression that if I enroll into the 2018-2019 CCOM BMS program, I will be considered as an applicant to the 2018-2019 DO program at CCOM, as well. Does it work the same way if I re-apply to other DO/MD programs that require biochem/3.2 gpa for the 2018-2019 cycle, or do I have to wait for the 2019-2020 cycle, because by then I would have new courses/GPA's?

Thank you for your help!!!!!

- your fellow future Doc

Members don't see this ad.

If you're already waitlisted I'm not sure a MA or MBS program will bolster your weaknesses. Might be better off getting a job as a scribe (thought the lingo and millions of notes helped those guys early, ultimately won't matter) and volunteer on the side in something with a back story, like, a children's ICU or Alzheimer's research center, etc. Long term shadowing, ex. every Tuesday for 8 hours for a year seemed to be the ticket for some folks. Any way you cut it, apply early and often next time, demonstrate you're serious and have new garbage to talk about. I've said this to a lot of people also, incoming student really don't have a clue how doctors get paid or anything about insurance, IF you speak intelligently, the doc on the admission panel will appreciate it and so will the ones you rotate with, that's all they talk about once they know you understand; it will set you apart from the regular fodder entering school with you. Get good with RVUs, P2Ps, formulary charts, and standard of care requirements at a minimum.

If I were you I would take upper division undergrad courses and get that sgpa above 3.0. You’re so close!

The master’s programs won’t change your sgpa or cgpa calculations as far as I know. They will be listed as master’s gpa.