Re-applying to both MD/DO: What parts of the AMCAS/AACOMAS applications need to be changed and what can stay the same?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue Lion

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as the title says.

Specifically for AMCAS, should I write new work/activities section descriptions and "why these were my most meaningful experiences?" prompts, or is it okay for me to keep the old ones? (Them being saved from when I started up my new application has me wondering this)

For both AACOMAS and AMCAS, should I write an entirely new personal statement? Or is it okay to keep the old ones.

For the record, I did get feedback on my application from the DO/MD schools I applied to and they said that my essays/personal statement/application writing was great. Hence why I am wondering if I should re-write these things anew, or if keeping them the same would be fine (given the stuff I was recommended to change were academics and experiences, things I did address this past year).

And in general, if you all could offer some advice on what sections you think should change or are able to stay the same, including ones outside of those that I mentioned, I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

All I changed between the two were the activities section due to the different word count

Reactions: 1 user
All I changed between the two were the activities section due to the different word count

1. Noragami icon, niiiiiiice.
2. It seems like you got interviews, none of the schools you re-applied to cared that your personal statement was the same as your previous applications?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, it is expected that you will rewrite your personal statement and essays.

You definitely do not have to and most certainly didn’t. What you can do is add a sentence or two referencing the tenets of osteopathy if you want

You definitely do not have to and most certainly didn’t. What you can do is add a sentence or two referencing the tenets of osteopathy if you want

I think you’re misunderstanding the question. OP is reapplying and wants to know if their personal statements and other essays should be rewritten from the previous cycle. Not just if their AMCAS and AACOMAS should be different from each other.

1. Noragami icon, niiiiiiice.
2. It seems like you got interviews, none of the schools you re-applied to cared that your personal statement was the same as your previous applications?
1. thanks
2. I also redid my personal statement with me second being a lot better than the first

Oops my bad. Definitely rewrite or at least tweak it a bit

When I reapplied I reworked my entire PS by adding in what I have been doing for the past year, while still keeping a few key paragraphs that my statement was structured around. I would say I probably changed about ~70% of it. Your story of why medicine probably has not changed that much over the past year but you should have some new experiences that have helped you to further solidify your decision.

In the work/activities section I reread everything to see if I could make a more insightful observation or better assessment of what I learned etc. I added the new experiences I had but didn't end up changing too much of what was already written in my descriptions. You should also make an experience that you've been doing over the past year while you applied one of your most meaningful experiences (if you can and then bump whichever of your 3 is the weakest). Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
When I reapplied I reworked my entire PS by adding in what I have been doing for the past year, while still keeping a few key paragraphs that my statement was structured around. I would say I probably changed about ~70% of it. Your story of why medicine probably has not changed that much over the past year but you should have some new experiences that have helped you to further solidify your decision.

In the work/activities section I reread everything to see if I could make a more insightful observation or better assessment of what I learned etc. I added the new experiences I had but didn't end up changing too much of what was already written in my descriptions. You should also make an experience that you've been doing over the past year while you applied one of your most meaningful experiences (if you can and then bump whichever of your 3 is the weakest). Hope this helps!

What an insightful response, thanks! So you didn't change much with experience descriptions? Did you get any IIs if you don't mind me asking? I feel like it's pretty unanimous that I'll have to re-do my essays and secondaries, but I worry about not changing the work/activities descriptions much. I mean, I don't know how I would change it? It's not like anything changed with the experiences I had and finished in years past.

What an insightful response, thanks! So you didn't change much with experience descriptions? Did you get any IIs if you don't mind me asking? I feel like it's pretty unanimous that I'll have to re-do my essays and secondaries, but I worry about not changing the work/activities descriptions much. I mean, I don't know how I would change it? It's not like anything changed with the experiences I had and finished in years past.

I got 2 interviews my first cycle (only applied MD) and 7 interviews my second (5 MD, 2 DO) gaining me 2 MD acceptances.

At the end of the day, your responsibilities in an experience didn't change if you've completed it but your thoughts about it can so that is what I tried to alter. How much you can change in your answer depends on what experience it was and what you wrote about it. I definitely did not completely rewrite all of my experiences. For some I just made my sentences stronger and did things like that.

I think by adding a completely new most meaningful experience you can show that you've grown over the past year which is the point you want to get across in your re-app.

I got 2 interviews my first cycle (only applied MD) and 7 interviews my second (5 MD, 2 DO) gaining me 2 MD acceptances.

At the end of the day, your responsibilities in an experience didn't change if you've completed it but your thoughts about it can so that is what I tried to alter. How much you can change in your answer depends on what experience it was and what you wrote about it. I definitely did not completely rewrite all of my experiences. For some I just made my sentences stronger and did things like that.

I think by adding a completely new most meaningful experience you can show that you've grown over the past year which is the point you want to get across in your re-app.

Did you leave any unaltered though? And unfortunately won't be adding any new meaningful experiences since this last year I was busy taking care of a sick family member for most of this past year while finishing up post-bacc. I pretty much took a basic office assistant job in the meantime just so I could have some sort of income. Not like I necessarily wanted that job, but pretty much every other type of clinical position rejected me, and I just needed something. Will be for sure mentioning that on my application though.

Did you leave any unaltered though? And unfortunately won't be adding any new meaningful experiences since this last year I was busy taking care of a sick family member for most of this past year while finishing up post-bacc. I pretty much took a basic office assistant job in the meantime just so I could have some sort of income. Not like I necessarily wanted that job, but pretty much every other type of clinical position rejected me, and I just needed something. Will be for sure mentioning that on my application though.

I don't completely remember but I am sure I left a few unaltered. Obviously this is all just my opinion as a student who reapplied! Maybe one of the adcoms on this site can help you more.

Thanks for your help! @premed1245

To you and many others, I ask: Does this seem like a good setup on what should be changed in a re-application?

Changed:
Personal Statement
Meaningful Experience Prompts

Not changed, but maybe looked over to see if small personal edits can be made here and there:
Job Descriptions

Not changed:
Everything else

@premed1245 I don't know if we talked about, but for the meaningful experiences that you kept the same in your re-application. Did you change what you wrote about them? (Not in the job description section, but in the meaningful experience prompt part)

In regards to the above post, anyone is free to confirm/provide feedback as well!

Last edited:
So I will be a reapplicant for the next cycle and my thoughts are pretty inline with what you have outlined. For myself, PS will be changed to reflect new experiences but still retain the overall theme/message as to why medicine. My meaningful activities prompts will also probably be rewritten, mostly due to the fact that I think they were poorly written the first go around. The rest of the activities I will go through and make some tweaks here and there if I need to.

Thanks for your help! @premed1245

@premed1245 I don't know if we talked about, but for the meaningful experiences that you kept the same in your re-application. Did you change what you wrote about them? (Not in the job description section, but in the meaningful experience prompt part)

I definitely tweaked them to make them stronger but the general sentiment was the same. Also remember you have secondaries that you will be able to change to show growth so this isn't your only opportunity to showcase your experience over the past year! I think what you said you are changing is good.

So I will be a reapplicant for the next cycle and my thoughts are pretty inline with what you have outlined. For myself, PS will be changed to reflect new experiences but still retain the overall theme/message as to why medicine. My meaningful activities prompts will also probably be rewritten, mostly due to the fact that I think they were poorly written the first go around. The rest of the activities I will go through and make some tweaks here and there if I need to.
I definitely tweaked them to make them stronger but the general sentiment was the same. Also remember you have secondaries that you will be able to change to show growth so this isn't your only opportunity to showcase your experience over the past year! I think what you said you are changing is good.

Alright, sounds good! Thanks for the advice y'all! @premed1245 Wishing you the best of luck in this coming year! @ndcpjf Hoping for the best that this reapplicant cycle is successful for you too!

Hey there! Sorry for bringing this thread back up, but was wondering if I could get your input on something. I've done some 80 hours of shadowing over the past three months and I would definitely was meaningful in all that I did while I was there. Would you say it's something appropriate to put down under meaningful experiences?

if you completely change your responses to secondary essays, like "how do you hope to impact medicine?" wont it seem disingenuous? my answers are different b/c ive simply done more reflection over the year...what do yall think?
Honestly I'm planning on doing the same. I think that it should not be looked down upon because the truth is that people's opinions change. Having to reapply is also an opportunity to rethink your motivations for medicine. I suppose if there are still some commonalities between your old responses and your new ones then it won't look like you're just writing anything to grab their attention without actually believing in what you write. However, I say, rewrite and don't be afraid to make significant changes. Perhaps if there is also a question for reapplicants asking about how their app is different, you could write how you did major reflections on how you want to impact medicine and you tried to show this in your new essays. Anyone think similarly?