Re-applying while finished first year medschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishmedstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am (US citizen) in Irish medschool. I just finished first year, but during my first year, I applied back to US schools and have been accepted. I did not put that I was currently attended Irish medschool at that time. My dream is to serve the US and be with my family and on top it saves me $30k.

What should i do? Will they find out I attended Ireland med?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am (US citizen) in Irish medschool. I just finished first year, but during my first year, I applied back to US schools and have been accepted. I did not put that I was currently attended Irish medschool at that time. My dream is to serve the US and be with my family and on top it saves me $30k.

I don't know, I recommend calling the schools here anonymously and asking them directly about your specific situation.

Hey, I think you're fine. They already accepted you, there's no way they did NOT know your profile.

Members don't see this ad :)
so if you were accepted you must have had an interview (or interviews). did none of your interviewers ask what you were currently doing? and if they did ask, what did you say? unless the question never came up (which seems unlikely), you simply left out the fact that you were attending medical school? seems very odd to me

so if you were accepted you must have had an interview (or interviews). did none of your interviewers ask what you were currently doing? and if they did ask, what did you say? unless the question never came up (which seems unlikely), you simply left out the fact that you were attending medical school? seems very odd to me

correct, no one asked wut i was doing at the moment luckily

Hmm well you were supposed to tell them on the application, but I would doubt that they check records from Ireland.

When you go to fill out your license application and lie on that one, you are likely going to be found out. This means no license and no practice. You need to have a discussion with the medical school that accepted you and explain the situation. It may cost you far more than $30K. Lying has no role in medicine today. You are always going to be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your career. Good luck!

When you go to fill out your license application and lie on that one, you are likely going to be found out. This means no license and no practice. You need to have a discussion with the medical school that accepted you and explain the situation. It may cost you far more than $30K. Lying has no role in medicine today. You are always going to be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your career. Good luck!

Yes I know, but otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the interview and that would be unfair just because I attended one year of medschool.

Yes I know, but otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the interview and that would be unfair just because I attended one year of medschool.

How is it unfair? That's the way it works.

If you had no desire to finish the program you started, you shouldn't have gone in the first place.

I don't think you have any choice but to discuss this with the school you've been accepted to.

Last edited:
How is it unfair? That's the way it works.

If you had no desire to finish the program you started, you shouldn't have gone in the first place.

Yes but we make mistakes. Ireland was just not a good option for me, I don't want to worry for the next 4 years if I will get a residency in the states or not. Plus, its not like I am getting a free ride in Ireland school -- I am paying up my behind for this education just like a customer would.

So now the question is: would it be a mistake for me to tell the admission committee about Ireland and lose my acceptance from both places? I know they will never find out that I went to Ireland.

The only thing unfair would be for you to bump someone out of US med school by lying.

And as mentioned above, lying on your med school application and getting found out can make it impossible for you to ever get licensed later. You are lighting matches in a pool of gasoline here. Come clean or you will get burnt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, try to talk with an administrator or someone with know-how, and explain yourself and your situation. I'm sure they will try their best to help you out, just as long as you didn't really lie on your application to get in that school. (Is there a section that asks if you have previously been in medical school?).

did the application ask specifically if you had attended another US school or did it say another medical school?

I agree that your best course of action would be to discuss this with the US school as soon and openly as possible. That way, that way if things do go south, you still have your seat in your Irish school.

Coming clean later (or worse, having someone else discover it during an external review) would be a worse situation.

Worst case scenario, you wind up having to pay for both your US and Irish medical school but you are unable to get licensed.

-

Last edited:
Call the med school you got into, tell them you are thinking of applying this year, don't tell them who you are, and ask them what would happen if you didn't mention that you were attending a foreign medical school currently. If you can fake a different accent, that would be preferable!

i have to admit i laughed when i read this, but i don't think it's the best idea. just call them and explain honestly.

Call the med school you got into, tell them you are thinking of applying this year, don't tell them who you are, and ask them what would happen if you didn't mention that you were attending a foreign medical school currently. If you can fake a different accent, that would be preferable!

I would go with this too, but w/o the faking of the accent....you need to show them you were a US citizen that went abroad

how did this not come up during interviews or secondaries? how did you manage to fly out from dublin so many times? pretty interesting thread.

I think you should just sit down with the med school and tell them of your situation. Most likely, they will be supportive.

Nothing against you but, this is why people should not rush into things that they want to do for the rest of their life. I have had a couple of friends go from a year of two of dental to starting med school. Thats like an extra 150k. People need to take college and post-graduation years to reflect on what they want and go for it. Be confident but, as MilkmanAl says, play the game the right way.

Come clean or you will get burnt.

Couldn't have said it better. I can't be certain they will ever find out, but in this game, be grateful for any acceptance and run with it. It's too big to risk over something like this - better to potentially get in trouble for it now than much later down the road.

I would go with this too, but w/o the faking of the accent....you need to show them you were a US citizen that went abroad

christian bale can do a kickass american accent

Just do it and don't tell anyone. It's win-win for you.. you get to go to a US med school like you want, and chances are you're going to dominate the first year since you've already been subjected to it. Nice!

Just do it and don't tell anyone. It's win-win for you.. you get to go to a US med school like you want, and chances are you're going to dominate the first year since you've already been subjected to it. Nice!

US schools have a lot more of a basic science focus than most foreign medical schools. It will still take some sort of a readjustment for the OP.

It's actually setting yourself up for a huge loss -- ending up going to 4 years of US med school and 1 year of irish med school, at an outstanding cost, only to find out you can't get licensed because you lied on your med school applicatoin. And they WILL find out when they do the screening at the residency level or the licensing level -- you are even more significantly screened when you are about to be given patient care and prescription responsibilities. There is really no point in not telling -- you have a ton to lose and the chances of squeaking by with nobody finding out are nil. It's career suicide. So don't waste time making anonymous phone calls. You have to talk to the dean, as you, and now.

I seem to remember they all ask about matriculation to another medical school and don't specify US.

Straight from the AMCAS app:
Have you ever matriculated at or attended any medical school as a candidate for an M.D. degree?

would an Irish med school be considered MD or MBBS?

The secondaries usually expand on the AMCAS question and include foreign and DO degrees. It's foolish to think you can dodge these questions without addressing them head on. Really a no brainer -- you either come clean now, or get caught later after being six digits in the hole. It's a gamble you can't afford to lose and are unlikely to win.

its MBBS not MD like it states in application. But in the application I did mention that I am doing medicine, I just didn't put in the transcript information because it was just the beginning of classes so there were no marks to put in and I wasn't sure if I was gonna persue it or not.

Last edited:
its MBBS not MD like it states in application. But in the application I did mention that I am doing medicine, I just didn't put in the transcript information because it was just the beginning of classes so there were no marks to put in and I wasn't sure if I was gonna persue it or not.

If/when the time comes where you need to explain your rationalization and why you chose not to disclose your current situation, I suggest you be completely truthful and forthcoming.

If/when the time comes where you need to explain your rationalization and why you chose not to disclose your current situation, I suggest you be completely truthful and forthcoming.

I would argue that the time already came. There is no way in my mind that you could "omit" already being in med school when applying and not have the adcom feel you were not revealing information they would consider relevant. So even if they only asked about MD programs and didn't mention the offshore equivalent (although I suspect they did, if you look back over everything - they do ask for transcripts of EVERY place you have ever attended, including foreign), they are going to feel you were less than truthful. The only way to deal with this is to be up front and honest. You are always better off doing this now than $150k in the hole.

You need to talk to the dean ASAP. I can see this culminating as a career ender down the line.

I think the OP doesn't get that you can build up a ton of debt, pass steps one and two, and then just get screwed. Then all you will have is a ton of debt and no viable way to pay it off.

Talk to the dean.

I would argue that the time already came. There is no way in my mind that you could "omit" already being in med school when applying and not have the adcom feel you were not revealing information they would consider relevant. So even if they only asked about MD programs and didn't mention the offshore equivalent (although I suspect they did, if you look back over everything - they do ask for transcripts of EVERY place you have ever attended, including foreign), they are going to feel you were less than truthful. The only way to deal with this is to be up front and honest. You are always better off doing this now than $150k in the hole.

I agree that the proper time to do this has come and gone, but if he continues do delay, he may not get to pick the time when he has this discussion.

Incidentally, I think when I registered for Step I, they also asked if I'd ever previously attended a medical school. I don't recall the wording and I don't know the fact checking the NBME (who you DO NOT want to mess with) does, but this lie will keep compounding if you don't handle it soon, OP.

correct, no one asked wut i was doing at the moment luckily

The school you interviewed at didn't ask you what you were doing during your time off? I find that INCREDIBLY hard to believe. This isn't spinning a bench monkey job into meaningful research or patient transport into clinical work, it's a gigantic lie of omission.

Yes, being expected to take personal responsibility for your decisions is very unfair. Lying to manipulate the situation is definitely the best solution!

OP, I don't think you have a shot in hell of fixing this, because I don't believe you didn't lie at some point in this process, and med schools sort of view that as a no-no.

The school you interviewed at didn't ask you what you were doing during your time off? I find that INCREDIBLY hard to believe.

I interviewed at a couple of schools this cycle and was never asked what I'm doing during my time off even though I had no classes left to take.

But I agree that the OP is just digging him/herself a bigger hole every moment he/she doesn't come clean. This is a huge lie. A career-ender if you're found out before you cop to it.

Definitely call up the medical school and explain to them your situation. If you explain it to them, they may give you the benefit of a doubt since you've already been accepted and decided to come clean about it. I just don't see them rescinding the offer if you can honestly prove to them that you didn't understand that going abroad would prevent you from matriculating at a US medical school.

But if you did do a year of med school abroad and then came to the US, and then applied for residency, with this whole thing hanging over your head, there are going to be too many questions that are going to be raised. You never know when you're going to run into a former classmate or if someone does an audit on your application and discover that you went abroad. If you get caught in a lie like that, that'll definitely be a huge problem getting your license or completing your residency. Come clean about it. In medicine, as in politics, you get into more trouble for covering up something than for the actual trangression itself.

Can someone explain how not coming clean can hurt his chances of getting a license down the line. I just wondering cause I think if he doesn't spill the beans, how can anyone know?

you mentioned in your app that you were "doing medicine" and no one ever asked you what you were doing? I find that really difficult to believe! really, I do.

can't believe i'm the first one to say it... TROLL

Thank you for your concerns. Yess but even if they do find out later on that i attended school abroad, then whats the big deal?

Definitely call up the medical school and explain to them your situation. If you explain it to them, they may give you the benefit of a doubt since you've already been accepted and decided to come clean about it. I just don't see them rescinding the offer if you can honestly prove to them that you didn't understand that going abroad would prevent you from matriculating at a US medical school.

But if you did do a year of med school abroad and then came to the US, and then applied for residency, with this whole thing hanging over your head, there are going to be too many questions that are going to be raised. You never know when you're going to run into a former classmate or if someone does an audit on your application and discover that you went abroad. If you get caught in a lie like that, that'll definitely be a huge problem getting your license or completing your residency. Come clean about it. In medicine, as in politics, you get into more trouble for covering up something than for the actual trangression itself.

thanks thread closing time

Last edited:
Thank you for your concerns. Yess but even if they do find out later on that i attended school abroad, then whats the big deal?

Well, if you're in medical school, you might get called to the dean's office and asked about why you didn't disclose this in your previous application (the part about matriculating at a foreign medical school). They'll probably grill you about it and get written up in your student record. At the very extreme, they might expel you for falsifying your record.

If you make it into residency, you'll probably get kicked out of the program. Residencies are a lot less forgiving than medical school with regards to these things (falsifying records). If you don't disclose it on your residency application or when you fill out your form for the match, and the resident program director finds out about it later - you will get kicked out of the program - no doubts about it.

I just don't see how you can hid this information without lying on your residency application in the future. You're talking about hiding this for the rest of your medical education (7-10 years). What happens if the medical school does an external audit of your education record. What happens if someone asks what you did during that 1 year gap when you were applying to a US medical school? What happens if a faculty member or classmate at the Irish medical school visits the US and blurts out that you were in their first year class?

I can see you digging yourself into a much much deeper hole with this. Come clean about it now and face the music. It's not that bad compared to what could happen if someone else (the medical school or the residency) discovers this before you complete your medical education.

... At the very extreme, they might expel you for falsifying your record.

Lying like this in a med school application is a huge deal. I don't think schools would consider this the extreme. It's going to be zero tolerance. At any rate, you are REQUIRED to provide transcripts from every school you attend or attended, and they ask you to agree that everything you've submitted is true and complete, so you will be lying in your application if you don't come clean, even if they don't explicitly ask about this program. This hole only gets deeper -- it never covers up. So you are best off coming clean. If you are for real.

so...you registered on SDN. you have to use your email address to register. presumably your real name is on your email account (your email provider, yahoo or whomever, knows your real name). the powers-that-be at SDN could track your real name, contact AMCAS, give them your name and copies of your posts here, then AMCAS could look up the school at which you've been accepted and share your posts with them

the foregoing is unlikely to happen, but it's not impossible. do you really want to spend your med school/medical career wondering if this is going to come back and bite you in the glutes?

the fact that you lied (either blatantly or by omission) during the application process and seem ok with lying in the future on residency applications does not speak well for your character and fitness as a future physician. do whatever you feel you need to do but be prepared to live with the consequences

I interviewed at a couple of schools this cycle and was never asked what I'm doing during my time off even though I had no classes left take.

But they said they were "in medicine" on their app, whatever that means. I can't imagine that didn't provoke questions.

OP, the reason you would/should be expelled/fired if you get caught is because the type of person who is willing to lie because they don't think they'll get interviews is the type of person who is willing to lie because they screwed up on the floor and think they'll get fired/sued. That lack of intestinal fortitude is your fatal flaw, not choosing to go to Ireland.:thumbdown:

Last edited:
well, technically speaking, he/she may not have lied on the application. At the time the application was filled out, he/she may not have started school in Ireland. If this is the case, things will be much easier when he/she discloses the information to the US med school.

Regardless, he/she must discuss the situation with the US med school because the possibility of them finding out later exists and the consequences can be grave. Therefore, it is not worth the risk to keep quiet.

Irshmedstudent: just talk to the dean or someone on admissions at the US med school. let them know your situation. attending/starting a foreign program that leads you to practice medicine in the states isn't such a bad thing. But hiding it is. You have to come clear and if it is meant to be, it will be.

well, technically speaking, he/she may not have lied on the application. At the time the application was filled out, he/she may not have started school in Ireland. If this is the case, things will be much easier when he/she discloses the information to the US med school.

Schools generally request final sets all transcripts be provided prior to your start date, even after the application process. So at this point the OP would have to lie or provide the transcript. (But I'm not buying the fact that this was never asked in any fashion during the application process).