Re-take NBDE1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanford Fencer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For those of you who had to do it to raise your scores, how was the experience re-preparing and re-taking Part 1?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Standford:

I know you're not retaking it right? Please tell me you don't need to retake it! :eek:

Yah-E said:
Standford:

I know you're not retaking it right? Please tell me you don't need to retake it! :eek:
He may have to. Anything under a 92 these days simply won't cut it

Members don't see this ad :)
psiyung said:
He may have to. Anything under a 92 these days simply won't cut it
We've talked about this already in the other thread, if anyone retakes the Part 1 after they've earned a 90 or 91 is fcuking (sorry Bill) nuts! Especially Stanford Fencer! With his credentials in OMFS research, his CV will shine regardless.

Stanford, PM me, tell me what you got on Part 1! :thumbup:

Stanford Fencer said:
Hi,

For those of you who had to do it to raise your scores, how was the experience re-preparing and re-taking Part 1?

Thanks!

It was a terrible experience. Not so much the actual material, which seemed to come back sharper than ever for the most part, but because of the fact that I'm fully immersed in clinic and actually doing dentistry, which makes relearning the part I material quite a bit less interesting than it was when I prepped for the exam during my D1 year. Repreparing really makes you feel as though you are regressing in your dental school experience, or at least it did for me.

So I restudied and put in quite a bit of time, but still haven't retaken it, and don't know that I ever will.

If you have a 90 and are applying to OMS you will get in unless you are a total dweeb. Don't retake it for that.

ItsGavinC said:
It was a terrible experience. Not so much the actual material, which seemed to come back sharper than ever for the most part, but because of the fact that I'm fully immersed in clinic and actually doing dentistry, which makes relearning the part I material quite a bit less interesting than it was when I prepped for the exam during my D1 year. Repreparing really makes you feel as though you are regressing in your dental school experience, or at least it did for me.

So I restudied and put in quite a bit of time, but still haven't retaken it, and don't know that I ever will.

I know a girl who recieved 93 or 94 on her part I. She felt that it was not competitive enough for Ortho, so she retook it one year later. I think she recieved mid 80's on her 2nd try! OUCH!!

Needless to say, she didnt get any interviews to Ortho.

Folks, thanks for the feedback. I'm seriously at a bind here. I received a decent score...above a 92 but not by much. I was then told by an important OMFS mentor that it's not competitive.

Those that I know from my school who applied to OMFS this year mostly had above a 95... those that I'll be applying with also for the most part broke 95. I think that's why I was recommended a retake.

Hopefully someone has a REAL positive story with re-taking the boards... :cool:

Stanford Fencer said:
Folks, thanks for the feedback. I'm seriously at a bind here. I received a decent score...above a 92 but not by much. I was then told by an important OMFS mentor that it's not competitive.

Those that I know from my school who applied to OMFS this year mostly had above a 95... those that I'll be applying with also for the most part broke 95. I think that's why I was recommended a retake.

Holy cow, talk about high expectations. If you score in the 90s that is great! I disagree that a 92 is not a competitive score. Most likely, the effect NDBE1 has on residency is the same as the DAT has on dental school. For example, the difference between a 21 and a 25 dat is meaningless and I know for a fact ADCOMS think this. Likewise, the difference between a 92 and 95 NDBE is meaningless--a handful of questions maybe. Once you break 90 you have satisfied the objective criteria for most spectialties, perhaps even ortho. The key in making yourself a unique applicant is in how you meet the subjective criteria, whether it is who you know, applying to your own school's residency program, proven clinical skills, research, etc. One might say that an applicant to dental school with a 4.0 GPA, 25 DAT, published research, AND instate has a 100% chance of instate acceptance--this is not the case; however, since I know many instate applicants with such flawless stats who have already been rejected. It's all about chance and what kind of day the person in charge of your fate is having. Just my 2 cents. Have a nice holiday.

Doggie said:
I know a girl who recieved 93 or 94 on her part I. She felt that it was not competitive enough for Ortho, so she retook it one year later. I think she recieved mid 80's on her 2nd try! OUCH!!

Needless to say, she didnt get any interviews to Ortho.
yikes :eek:

Stanford Fencer said:

Go try the International Dentist forum. Seems like the students over there retake the boards more often, but are usually trying to raise a 79 to a 92, not exactly what you're looking for.

Rather than trying to cram and retake it while you are still freaking out about clinic requirements, why not try applying with your score and seeing what happens? People do get into OMS with <95. Don't limit yourself and apply EVERYWHERE if you are truly scared; all you have to lose is the application fees. It is probably impossible to predict which schools will invite you to interview, and unless you throw in an application, you will never know. If you don't match, it may be easier to retake them when you are out of dental school and don't have to worry about exams and requirements. You would have more time to devote solely to the exam.

If I hadn't matched this year, I was contemplating retaking part 1. But in order to do this, I figured I would have to take 2 months off from private practice, move back home, purchase new review books-exams-decks, and study full time to relearn all that Biochem that I have long forgotten. But if I ended up like what doggie posted and got lower than my initial score, I would have to completely abandon my goals to specialize. Thankfully I scraped by and it didn't have to come to that.

BTW, aren't you in a PhD program? That's got to be huge on an application, how many OMS applicants have that?

Yeah, I think it's all relative. When 7 people from your class apply, and you have the second lowest score, and the top 5 broke 95... you're stuck in my shoes. :barf:

Stanford Fencer said:
Yeah, I think it's all relative. When 7 people from your class apply, and you have the second lowest score, and the top 5 broke 95... you're stuck in my shoes. :barf:

None of those top 5 in your class has a year of research award from Maryland like you?! Listen, take your 93 and be happy! You'll get interviews, trust me! Once your receive interviews, just shine with your personality! Unless your class rank is lower than those top 5 part 1 classmates, don't worry about it.

Do externships! Get good 3 3-weekers in!

I only have a 90 and I received interviews from some pretty darn great residency programs, if I had an undergraduate GPA greater than a 3.3, then I strongly believe that I would've gotten more interviews. My externships really helped me earn those interviews that I received.

Trust me on this....yes, higher the score, the better, but you got a freaking 93 dude! Are you insane to consider retaking it? Are you afraid that you won't get interviews? Because once you have been interviewed, you're supposed to be in the same playing field with other applicants (so we've heard)!

I'll throw in my opinion on this. The upside of the retake is much lower than the downside. You get a competitive score for omfs, not very competitive, but competitive. With the way the board exam is, you could study till the cows come home. If you just happen to get that random day when they put questions on it that you arent familiar with, you're in trouble. The difference b/w a 93 and 95 is only a few questions, but so is the difference b/w a 93 and a 90. Do you really want to risk retaking it and possibly scoring LOWER?
That's a pretty big risk to me.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Can you retake only certain sections or must one retake the whole exam. Also, is it averaged in with your first exam or the second one becomes your final score?

LegendDMD said:
Can you retake only certain sections or must one retake the whole exam. Also, is it averaged in with your first exam or the second one becomes your final score?

He'd be retaking the entire exam in order to raise his score, and most programs only view your latest score when considering your application.

You can retake part 1 after you graduate. What happens if you fail? Are you still able to practice? Just wondering the worse possible situation.

griffin04 said:
Go try the International Dentist forum. Seems like the students over there retake the boards more often, but are usually trying to raise a 79 to a 92, not exactly what you're looking for.

Rather than trying to cram and retake it while you are still freaking out about clinic requirements, why not try applying with your score and seeing what happens? People do get into OMS with <95. Don't limit yourself and apply EVERYWHERE if you are truly scared; all you have to lose is the application fees. It is probably impossible to predict which schools will invite you to interview, and unless you throw in an application, you will never know. If you don't match, it may be easier to retake them when you are out of dental school and don't have to worry about exams and requirements. You would have more time to devote solely to the exam.

If I hadn't matched this year, I was contemplating retaking part 1. But in order to do this, I figured I would have to take 2 months off from private practice, move back home, purchase new review books-exams-decks, and study full time to relearn all that Biochem that I have long forgotten. But if I ended up like what doggie posted and got lower than my initial score, I would have to completely abandon my goals to specialize. Thankfully I scraped by and it didn't have to come to that.

BTW, aren't you in a PhD program? That's got to be huge on an application, how many OMS applicants have that?

tooth2007 said:
You can retake part 1 after you graduate. What happens if you fail? Are you still able to practice? Just wondering the worse possible situation.

That's some sticky situation you don't want to be in. Haha, but you have to try real hard to fail that exam. It's hard to get above 95, but it's also hard to fail.

LegendDMD said:

Yes, you can retake indiviudal sections.

rsweeney said:
Yes, you can retake indiviudal sections.
But only if they failed that one section. I am pretty sure that you can't retake individual sections in order to raise your overall score if you passed everything. Have you been looking into this sweeny? :laugh: Just kidding man. Have a good Christmas. You can tell I am a loser since I like to read and post on SDN for Christmas Eve/Christmas. Enjoy the break.