Re-taking a failed pre-req at CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillionsofNeurons

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm new here! Been an unregistered lurker for a while now, lol.

Anyway, I just graduated college with my first degree. I spent the majority of my undergrad career thinking I was going to go into social work or possibly a graduate degree in psychology. However, now that I've finished my psych degree and taken all the required social work classes, I've realized that I'm not as enthusiastic about those career choices as I thought I would be at this point. TBH, I aimed towards those fields because they were easy (at least for me). As a result, any science classes I took, I did poorly in because I didn't think they really counted for me. Now, I've really become interested in medicine and will be starting a post-bacc to complete medical school pre-reqs this summer. Here's my dilemma: I've failed general chemistry 2 (twice) because I was lazy and really couldn't put the effort into studying for that class. I know that's awful and I really have no excuses for that. All I can do now is work my a** off and get my grades up.

My question is will it look bad to adcoms for me to re-take gen chem 2 at my local CC? The reason I want to do that is because my CC offers the course during the Summer I session, which would allow me to take other upper level science courses for which gen chem 2 is a pre-req during the second half of summer. The university I'm doing my post-bacc at does not offer the course during the first half of the summer. I will be taking all of the upper level pre-reqs (O. Chem, upper level bio, etc.) at the university. This would put me a head of the curve a bit, so I can complete my pre-reqs in a timely manner and begin working on other parts of my app such as the MCAT and EC's.

Thanks so much for your input!

Members don't see this ad.