Re-using letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanktank7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to reuse letters of recommendation from a previous application cycle? I am applying md/phd and have 5 letters already. I dont have any good reasons to get new ones from the same people since I think their letters were already pretty solid. I also dont have any new recommenders who I think could write more strongly in my favor.

That being said I am banking on much better essays, an earlier application, and stronger mcat score, and 3.8 gpa (gpa did not change)

Members don't see this ad.

If you have outside confirmation that the letters are solid from an advisor or admissions-office consultation from a school where you were rejected last year, I think it's fine to reuse them. If it is possible to get some reprinted with a current date, do it. But if you can't, go with it anyway.

I have the same issue - would appreciate more thoughts on this topic. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a bad idea to reuse letters of recommendation from a previous application cycle? I am applying md/phd and have 5 letters already. I dont have any good reasons to get new ones from the same people since I think their letters were already pretty solid. I also dont have any new recommenders who I think could write more strongly in my favor.

That being said I am banking on much better essays, an earlier application, and stronger mcat score, and 3.8 gpa (gpa did not change)
Could you explain what you mean by reusing them? Are the letters not sealed by your LOR writers? Otherwise, how would you know they are the exact same letters?

I re-applied successfully last cycle and used the identical letters I used the year before. I did confirm with a couple schools that the letters were solid and not the source of any troubles.

Best of luck with your re-application.

:xf:

By reuse I mean that these letters were sent to my school's letter service and were stored there. I got them copied and sent to all the schools I applied to last year and after that they were stored in my letter service account (all letters were and continue to be confidential).

I think that is a good suggestion about the letters - I trust my writers but how can I ask a third party about what they say without breaking confidentiality, can you just ask admissions people from schools youve previously been rejected to? I dont want to make them feel weird, perhaps they are allowed to be vague about it?

I think that is a good suggestion about the letters - I trust my writers but how can I ask a third party about what they say without breaking confidentiality, can you just ask admissions people from schools youve previously been rejected to? I dont want to make them feel weird, perhaps they are allowed to be vague about it?

I didn't ask about the content specifically, but focused on if the admissions folks felt the letters were a point of weakness/if I should get additional letters or replacement letters. I only spoke to schools I was waitlisted at, but was able to get feedback that I trusted and those I spoke to seemed to feel that since they were speaking generally they were not breaking any confidentiality rules.
:luck:

If you have letters stored in Interfolio or VE, have them 'updated'. And it means just asking the writers to upload again with a new date. The schools want at least the date updated. Hope it helps.

Do you think schools frown upon reusing letters? I had really strong letters of recommendation for my first application cycle, and was accepted, but due to health reasons I had to leave after my first year. I'm now reapplying, and am out of touch with most of the people that originally wrote my letters, and know it would save a lot of stress to be able to reuse. But would it look bad that they were 3 years old..?

Do you think schools frown upon reusing letters? I had really strong letters of recommendation for my first application cycle, and was accepted, but due to health reasons I had to leave after my first year. I'm now reapplying, and am out of touch with most of the people that originally wrote my letters, and know it would save a lot of stress to be able to reuse. But would it look bad that they were 3 years old..?

3 years is probably too old.

If it's only 1 year apart, then go ahead and use them. Make sure to check with the schools and find out if the letters were bad, of course. Also, it's a good idea to get at least one new letter that can reflect on your work this past year as well.

I re-applied successfully last cycle and used the identical letters I used the year before. I did confirm with a couple schools that the letters were solid and not the source of any troubles.

Best of luck with your re-application.

:xf:

ooooh, I never knew you could do that!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had a related question. It's been mentioned that if you had your letters uploaded to VE, Interfolio, etc, you can reuse the letters for your next application cycle. But my letters were all uploaded directly to AMCAS. Is there any way to reuse any of them?

I'd really like to avoid asking my professors to rewrite their letters...:scared:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had a related question. It's been mentioned that if you had your letters uploaded to VE, Interfolio, etc, you can reuse the letters for your next application cycle. But my letters were all uploaded directly to AMCAS. Is there any way to reuse any of them?

I'd really like to avoid asking my professors to rewrite their letters...:scared:

As far as I know, letters uploaded to AMCAS are not stored and thus cannot be used in the next application cycle. It's best to have your writers send them to Interfolio or VE if you want to use them again in the future.

As far as I know, letters uploaded to AMCAS are not stored and thus cannot be used in the next application cycle. It's best to have your writers send them to Interfolio or VE if you want to use them again in the future.

Thanks for your answer. I guess I should go prepare myself for a few awkward conversations now about why I need them re-sent...

A year is not much of a deal but 3 years is likely a problem. Get your original letter writers to update their letters or don't use them. If you matriculated and left, you need to have something from your original school that states the reasons why you left and that you left in good standing. If you didn't leave in good academic standing, huge "red flag".

If you didn't matriculate, then you need to have someone who knows your health problems comment that they are not present (or under control) now,otherwise, huge "red" flag.