Re: What to Do

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been on these forums for awhile and have learned lots so I appreciate everything the community has given me. I am working actively as an EMT and love my job, however; sometimes I believe medical school could be the right path. I have about a year of college done, but am not sure if I am medical school material. I was never the best in high school but I did graduate my Junior year with an up-trending GPA.... For example.... 2.5 ---> 3.1 ----> 3.65 and finished with 18 college credits. I think my college GPA is around a 3.7 attending a community college for those initial credits. Do I attempt to finish my bachelors? I really think I want to be a doctor, plus I have a few personal contacts who work high up in an Osteopathic medical school that would be more than willing to mentor me. I know that person would interview me if I did well enough. I have learned so much, I have shadowed different types of surgery specialties General, Orthopedic, as well Internal Medicine & Family Medicine. One problem is I recently withdrew in the Spring of 2017 from 3 courses primarily due to personal and family related issues. I've done soul searching, volunteered, but I just am not sure can anyone provide advice or suggestions on where to go? @Goro I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Rising GPA trends are always good!

What does your heart tell you?
I don't know! That's why I am so confused, I love both in different ways! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You plenty of time to figure it out. There's also no law that says you have to go to college at age 18. Go work for a few years until you decide what interests you the most.
Alright, I will do that. Maybe I will take a few courses on the side to see if I can keep up with the material. Thank you for your input.

Alright, I will do that. Maybe I will take a few courses on the side to see if I can keep up with the material. Thank you for your input.

If you're going to take a few years off I would recommend going for your medic. Where I live both companies I've worked for as an EMT offer medic classes for free if you agree to work for them for some amount of time after. You would get to learn more about the body/emergent treatments, would make more money, and if you ever did decide to go to medical school paramedic looks much better than EMT in my opinion. Also if you decide not to there are plenty of options you can do with your medic you could teach, you could try to get into fire, etc. Or you could be a career medic. I think it would open a lot of doors for you.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're going to take a few years off I would recommend going for your medic. Where I live both companies I've worked for as an EMT offer medic classes for free if you agree to work for them for some amount of time after. You would get to learn more about the body/emergent treatments, would make more money, and if you ever did decide to go to medical school paramedic looks much better than EMT in my opinion. Also if you decide not to there are plenty of options you can do with your medic you could teach, you could try to get into fire, etc. Or you could be a career medic. I think it would open a lot of doors for you.
I would if they offered that I will look into it. If not, it's $15,000 for a community college so that's not an option rn. :) But, I am considering Fire 1 to add to the profile too.

Reactions: 1 user