Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Reaching out for advice (work exp. and pre-pharm)

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by alwaysstaypositive, May 3, 2018.

1. alwaysstaypositive

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello SDN community,

I need some advice on my situation:

• I have been working at the same fast job for 3 years after my H.S. graduation and preparing to transition as a pharmacy technician
    • I want to leave my job after I have completed my fall semester at a local C.C. to fulfill the pre-requisites toward applying for pharm. school at my state university
    • My course load is heavy and I'm taking summer classes to speed up the process. I am confident in my ability to succeed but in the past I did not have an excellent history (~3.2 GPA in H.S. and poor ACT score) I am aiming for the highest marks so that I am well-prepared to endure the rigor of pharm. school (if I get accepted in a couple years) by taking the max number of credits possible
    • I will be active by seeking to volunteer in my community, communicating with professors about my career, etc.
    Taking things one step at a time, what advice can you give to me after looking at my situation in brief. Feel free to ask me brief questions.

Thank-you kindly,
    Pre-pharm student

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pms_testosterone

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I would start looking for tech jobs now. If you know that's what you want to do, why not?

Also, getting good grades is more important than having "rigorous" academic terms. Be willing to drop one course if doing poorly in a term.

alwaysstaypositive likes this.
  4. alwaysstaypositive

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank-you for your insights. I will consider that moving ahead!

5. NextStepTutor_4

NextStepTutor_4 Next Step PCAT Expert

It sounds like you're taking all of the right steps. Have you plotted out a timeline for when you will complete all of your pre-reqs, take the PCAT, and apply for pharmacy school? Then you can on a more detailed level start planning for all the components of your application. With your GPA history, a strong PCAT score would really make you stand out!

alwaysstaypositive likes this.
  6. alwaysstaypositive

Pre-Pharmacy
    Yes, I have plotted out a timeline for meeting my pre-reqs., PCAT, and I am aware of the deadlines for applying for pharm. school. I will consider your tip about the application.

Thank-you