Reactions discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We're all suspicious of the inappropriate react because we are all wildly inappropriate all the time but don't want to get in trouble for it lol

It's like not swearing in front of your mom

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so the inappropriate thing will actually trigger an automatic report apparently lol. The idea is people don't report posts, but they will leave angry faces and stuff, so Lee thought it would make it easier for us to police inappropriate posts by letting people just throw a reaction on it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Okay, so the inappropriate thing will actually trigger an automatic report apparently lol. The idea is people don't report posts, but they will leave angry faces and stuff, so Lee thought it would make it easier for us to police inappropriate posts by letting people just throw a reaction on it.
Can we recommend a bit of a time delay on it, if that doesn't exist already? I somewhat often initially click the wrong react because on mobile they take a second to load, don't want to constantly spam alerts.

Reactions: 3 users
Can we recommend a bit of a time delay on it, if that doesn't exist already? I somewhat often initially click the wrong react because on mobile they take a second to load, don't want to constantly spam alerts.

It requires a certain number of inappropriate reactions before it will trigger a report.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

I think this is a great idea!

Members don't see this ad :)
It requires a certain number of inappropriate reactions before it will trigger a report.
If it does, the mods will definitely let him know, and he'll change it. The report feature is pretty easy to abuse, and it usually isn't (edit: I've only seen it abused like once or twice).

If it requires a certain number, why is there a -1 penalty involved? Why not keep that 0 and let the reaction work in place as an autoreport trigger?

Reactions: 1 user
It's interesting the "dislike" and "inappropriate" reactions got added. I remember when they added the "like" function years ago, one of the mods commented on not adding a "dislike" function because they were concerned it would turn the entire forum into a popularity contest, where dissent would be increasingly penalized/discouraged.

I'm not sure how I feel about it honestly. Where is the "neutral" reaction??? I'm outraged!!

Reactions: 3 users
It's interesting the "dislike" and "inappropriate" reactions got added. I remember when they added the "like" function years ago, one of the mods commented on not adding a "dislike" function because they were concerned it would turn the entire forum into a popularity contest, where dissent would be increasingly penalized/discouraged.

I'm not sure how I feel about it honestly. Where is the "neutral" reaction??? I'm outraged!!

Wows, sads, hmms and rolleyes are neutral reactions.

• Sad
  • Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users

I agree with this sentiment. I don't really use Reddit but will sometimes go on the one for my university and that is certainly a problem over there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this sentiment. I don't really use Reddit but will sometimes go on the one for my university (big state school!) and that is certainly a problem over there.

The difference is that the reactions don’t change anything here. On Reddit a really highly downvoted post will go away and the highly upvoted posts go to the top. Here the only thing that really happens is the auto report function if enough people mark a post as inappropriate (which is different than dislike, and dislike doesn’t do that).

... people care about the reaction scores?

In any event, like M935 said, we're giving this a trial. Anything *can* be abused. Hopefully this will lead to the intended effect of more bad posts coming to our attention, but if it turns out that it's just being weaponized if it is we'll fix it.

EDIT: Aaaaaand now I just noticed how measly my like count is :cryi:

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users

In any event, like M935 said, we're giving this a trial. Anything *can* be abused. Hopefully this will lead to the intended effect of more bad posts coming to our attention, but if it turns out that it's just being weaponized if it is we'll fix it.

Spoken like someone with a bad reaction score :poke:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Why not change it from -1 to 0?

Okay, what reactions get a -1 again? Does it start at eyeroll or anger? Like, love, and laugh are probably +1. Are wow, sad, eyeroll, and thinking 0? I'm assuming anger, inappropriate, and dislike are -1.

Okay, what reactions get a -1 again? Does it start at eyeroll or anger? Like, love, and laugh are probably +1. Are wow, sad, eyeroll, and thinking 0? I'm assuming anger, inappropriate, and dislike are -1.

Inappropriate = -1

Dislike, wow, sad, angry, hmm, okay... = 0

Like, love, haha = +1

• Sad
Why not change it from -1 to 0?
We could. Again, I think we're trying this out. If people start using that reaction for posts that don't violate the TOS, then we'll start getting reports for BS and we'll know that we should tweak the system.

We could. Again, I think we're trying this out. If people start using that reaction for posts that don't violate the TOS, then we'll start getting reports for BS and we'll know that we should tweak the system.

I'm just thinking if it requires a certain number of Inappropriates to alert the mods, then what stops someone (say a spammer) from using an Inappopriate on every single post and subtracting them by -1? I think dislikes can be used same way but it has 0 impact so it wouldn't matter as much. Yeah they can be adjusted in the end but there's an inherent damaging impact involved with -1.

Hence why i thought keeping the reaction and its utility in place since it has value. And instead simply change it from -1 to 0.

I'm just thinking if it requires a certain number of Inappropriates to alert the mods, then what stops someone (say a spammer) from using an Inappopriate on every single post and subtracting them by -1? I think dislikes can be used same way but it has 0 impact so it wouldn't matter as much. Yeah they can be adjusted in the end but there's an inherent damaging impact involved with -1.

Hence why i thought keeping the reaction and its utility in place since it has value. And instead simply change it from -1 to 0.
I'm not POSITIVE, but I'm guessing that the auto-report is linked to the post getting to a -3 reaction score, rather than actually getting 3 "inappropriate" reactions. So that's the reason why we need it to be marked with a -1 reaction.

But I'll ask Lee.

I'm not POSITIVE, but I'm guessing that the auto-report is linked to the post getting to a -3 reaction score, rather than actually getting 3 "inappropriate" reactions. So that's the reason why we need it to be marked with a -1 reaction.

But I'll ask Lee.

That’s what it sounded like from what the robot said when it generated the report.

That’s what it sounded like from what the robot said when it generated the report.
Robot? SDN's using robots now? :scared:
We're ****ed. We're all ****ed!

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

But I'll ask Lee.
Yep, it takes 3 'inappropriate' reactions. No other reaction selection will trigger it.

Yep, it takes 3 'inappropriate' reactions. No other reaction selection will trigger it.
Now I'm curious if a single rogue user can trigger it or if the logic is smart enough to require three or more separate users; e.g. this would be bad:

1. Select "Inappropriate" (1st time)
2. Unselect
3. Select "Inappropriate" (2nd time)
4. Unselect
5. Select "Inappropriate" (3rd time)​

Hopefully it's coded to account for this.

Last edited:
I am not sure the Lounge is the appropriate place for extensive discussions of these things. May I suggest you two move this discussion to the Site Suggestions forum? Then, other people who want to join in on the discussion but do not frequent the Lounge can offer their opinions.

The conversation started here so a mod should be able to move it elsewhere into a separate thread. I only have one request to change it from -1 to 0 and that's it.

Moved this discussion to the Site Feedback forum.

Now I'm curious if a single rogue user can trigger it or if the logic is smart enough to require three or more separate users; e.g. this would be bad:

1. Select "Inappropriate" (1st time)​
2. Unselect​
3. Select "Inappropriate" (2nd time)​
4. Unselect​
5. Select "Inappropriate" (3rd time)​

Hopefully it's coded to account for this.
Functionally, that's not different from just reporting a post regularly, which you can still do :shrug:

It’s already been explained why it is like that. Just don’t post inappropriate posts and you don’t have to worry about it.

It says it takes 3 inappropriates rather than -3 reaction score.

It's not as simple as avoiding inappropriate posts. There are already sarcastic joke posts being reported as inappropriate. Why have an additional -1 penalty when the same function works with 0?

It says it takes 3 inappropriates rather than -3 reaction score.

It's not as simple as avoiding inappropriate posts. There are already sarcastic joke posts being reported as inappropriate. Why have an additional -1 penalty when the same function works with 0?
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but the points reduction is required to trigger the automatic reporting. This was clarified by Lee to the moderator staff. There is no way to get the same functionality with a 0 score.

Again... we're trying something new to see if we can capture more inappropriate posts. We're not unreasonable, and if this doesn't work or winds up having negative consequences we'll be open to changing it. I would think that within a couple of days the novelty of marking a post as "inappropriate" will pass in a couple of days. But continually reminding everyone about it is probably not helping :)

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but the points reduction is required to trigger the automatic reporting. This was clarified by Lee to the moderator staff. There is no way to get the same functionality with a 0 score.

Again... we're trying something new to see if we can capture more inappropriate posts. We're not unreasonable, and if this doesn't work or winds up having negative consequences we'll be open to changing it. I would think that within a couple of days the novelty of marking a post as "inappropriate" will pass in a couple of days. But continually reminding everyone about it is probably not helping :)

Ok this makes sense. I still maintain some very serious reservations about them even though i understand the purpose and enjoy being used as a test subject by others on how the inappropriate reactions work. But perhaps it's also due to my pessimism of certain behaviors on here especially when i saw harmless posts that didn't violate TOS getting smacked as well.

Ok this makes sense. I still maintain some very serious reservations about them even though i understand the purpose and enjoy being used as a test subject by others on how the inappropriate reactions work. But perhaps it's also due to my pessimism of certain behaviors on here especially when i saw harmless posts that didn't violate TOS getting smacked as well.

I mean we haven't had a post get flagged yet, so people obviously aren't abusing it (at least so far). Not sure why you are so concerned with this. Just don't be a dick and you shouldn't have to worry about it. If you get a couple -1 reactions because someone doesn't like something you post, who cares?