Reading Comprehension Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaq786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your reading comprehension strategy here. Here is mine...

So far for the kaplan tests, it seems the best route is to read the whole passage once then jump into the questions.

Members don't see this ad.

shaq786 said:
Post your reading comprehension strategy here. Here is mine...

So far for the kaplan tests, it seems the best route is to read the whole passage once then jump into the questions.

idk, the reading comprehension on the PCAT is all science type of passages so its not that bad.

just try to read it once KINDA thoroughly and then do the questions. u can always refer back to it w/o losin much time b/c they're most DETAILED type of questions

My opinion is that we are all there to score, not to understand each passage. So just look for the answers, and don't overanaylzed.

I didn't read a single passage. I read the question...then found the answer. This gets a little harder when they don't put any keywords in the question.

Those damn dirty apes.

Members don't see this ad :)
ForcedEntry said:
I didn't read a single passage. I read the question...then found the answer. This gets a little harder when they don't put any keywords in the question.

Those damn dirty apes.

Well since thare are 6-7 passages, do you think scores would be high if one spends all their time on 4 to 5 passages (i.e. anwering about 28-32 questions) and guessing on the others as one runs out of time?

advisorRx said:
Well since thare are 6-7 passages, do you think scores would be high if one spends all their time on 4 to 5 passages (i.e. anwering about 28-32 questions) and guessing on the others as one runs out of time?

I am not a fast reader so I think focusing on 4-5 passages intently would have left many unanswered questions on my test. I am also not too keen on guessing.

i had plenty of time to read the passage first, then the question, and then look for the answer. I definitely think you should read through the passage first. It only takes a few minutes and it will save lots of time when going back to look for answers. If you can't read fast enough, then I'd say practice reading magazine articles or something to gain speed.

Definitely read through (or skim through if you're not a fast reader and short on time) the passage first and then look at the questions. That way you at least know what paragraph the answer to the question is in.

I used that strategy and I had at least 10 minutes left to go back and check all the answers I wasn't 100% positive on.

DJ_Pop_N'_Fresh said:
Definitely read through (or skim through if you're not a fast reader and short on time) the passage first and then look at the questions. That way you at least know what paragraph the answer to the question is in.

I used that strategy and I had at least 10 minutes left to go back and check all the answers I wasn't 100% positive on.

Thanks for the tip...you must be a fast reader perhaps? Were you able to finish Kaplan's and Cliffnotes reading passages on time? Just wanted to compare. On Kaplan and Cliffnotes, I always get caught on that last passage.