1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Reading Comprehension Strategy

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by shaq786, Jul 22, 2006.

1. shaq786

shaq786 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Post your reading comprehension strategy here. Here is mine...

So far for the kaplan tests, it seems the best route is to read the whole passage once then jump into the questions.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doublehh03

doublehh03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

idk, the reading comprehension on the PCAT is all science type of passages so its not that bad.

just try to read it once KINDA thoroughly and then do the questions. u can always refer back to it w/o losin much time b/c they're most DETAILED type of questions

4. FSUNOLE

FSUNOLE Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    My opinion is that we are all there to score, not to understand each passage. So just look for the answers, and don't overanaylzed.

5. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I didn't read a single passage. I read the question...then found the answer. This gets a little harder when they don't put any keywords in the question.

Those damn dirty apes.

6. advisorRx

advisorRx New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Well since thare are 6-7 passages, do you think scores would be high if one spends all their time on 4 to 5 passages (i.e. anwering about 28-32 questions) and guessing on the others as one runs out of time?

7. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I am not a fast reader so I think focusing on 4-5 passages intently would have left many unanswered questions on my test. I am also not too keen on guessing.

8. jessicaholland1

jessicaholland1 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i had plenty of time to read the passage first, then the question, and then look for the answer. I definitely think you should read through the passage first. It only takes a few minutes and it will save lots of time when going back to look for answers. If you can't read fast enough, then I'd say practice reading magazine articles or something to gain speed.

9. DJ_Pop_N'_Fresh

DJ_Pop_N'_Fresh Junior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Definitely read through (or skim through if you're not a fast reader and short on time) the passage first and then look at the questions. That way you at least know what paragraph the answer to the question is in.

I used that strategy and I had at least 10 minutes left to go back and check all the answers I wasn't 100% positive on.

10. shaq786

shaq786 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the tip...you must be a fast reader perhaps? Were you able to finish Kaplan's and Cliffnotes reading passages on time? Just wanted to compare. On Kaplan and Cliffnotes, I always get caught on that last passage.