Quantcast

Reading Comprehension Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaq786

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
Post your reading comprehension strategy here. Here is mine...

So far for the kaplan tests, it seems the best route is to read the whole passage once then jump into the questions.
 

doublehh03

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
944
Reaction score
144
shaq786 said:
Post your reading comprehension strategy here. Here is mine...

So far for the kaplan tests, it seems the best route is to read the whole passage once then jump into the questions.

idk, the reading comprehension on the PCAT is all science type of passages so its not that bad.

just try to read it once KINDA thoroughly and then do the questions. u can always refer back to it w/o losin much time b/c they're most DETAILED type of questions
 

FSUNOLE

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
My opinion is that we are all there to score, not to understand each passage. So just look for the answers, and don't overanaylzed.
 

ForcedEntry

Lilo got stitched
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
1,616
Reaction score
3
I didn't read a single passage. I read the question...then found the answer. This gets a little harder when they don't put any keywords in the question.

Those damn dirty apes.
 

advisorRx

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
ForcedEntry said:
I didn't read a single passage. I read the question...then found the answer. This gets a little harder when they don't put any keywords in the question.

Those damn dirty apes.

Well since thare are 6-7 passages, do you think scores would be high if one spends all their time on 4 to 5 passages (i.e. anwering about 28-32 questions) and guessing on the others as one runs out of time?
 

ForcedEntry

Lilo got stitched
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
1,616
Reaction score
3
advisorRx said:
Well since thare are 6-7 passages, do you think scores would be high if one spends all their time on 4 to 5 passages (i.e. anwering about 28-32 questions) and guessing on the others as one runs out of time?

I am not a fast reader so I think focusing on 4-5 passages intently would have left many unanswered questions on my test. I am also not too keen on guessing.
 

jessicaholland1

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
i had plenty of time to read the passage first, then the question, and then look for the answer. I definitely think you should read through the passage first. It only takes a few minutes and it will save lots of time when going back to look for answers. If you can't read fast enough, then I'd say practice reading magazine articles or something to gain speed.
 

DJ_Pop_N'_Fresh

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Definitely read through (or skim through if you're not a fast reader and short on time) the passage first and then look at the questions. That way you at least know what paragraph the answer to the question is in.

I used that strategy and I had at least 10 minutes left to go back and check all the answers I wasn't 100% positive on.
 

shaq786

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
366
Reaction score
0
DJ_Pop_N'_Fresh said:
Definitely read through (or skim through if you're not a fast reader and short on time) the passage first and then look at the questions. That way you at least know what paragraph the answer to the question is in.

I used that strategy and I had at least 10 minutes left to go back and check all the answers I wasn't 100% positive on.

Thanks for the tip...you must be a fast reader perhaps? Were you able to finish Kaplan's and Cliffnotes reading passages on time? Just wanted to compare. On Kaplan and Cliffnotes, I always get caught on that last passage.
 
Top