Reading comprehension tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usher12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondering if anyone has any tips for reading comprehension!

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I never felt like I was any good at reading comp but i ended up with a 22 that I'm very happy with.
There are a few methods posted here that people highly recommend:
Vicviper RC stratergy:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=615852
Search and Destroy.

I attempted both methods in practice but it didn't really work for me. I wasn't comfortable with skimming and then having to risk being messed up by the inference question.

I did not practice much ( I did RC in about 9 practice tests and that was it). My strategy was to convince myself that I was SUPER interested in the passage (they actually were on my DAT). I feel like you remember more details when you enjoy wat ur reading. I read the entire passage and then answered. While i was reading i listed a few key words from each passage on the whiteboard so I could easily find something when I needed (Kaplan strategy)

I seem to remember reading through the ADA's statistical analysis of the DAT, and Reading Comp was the only section where test takers' scores did not improve after taking a review course. So, the implication is that you can't really "study" for this section. But don't let that discourage you!

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, anyone who didn't improve on reading comp after a review course didn't try.

With that said, just start reading scientific journal articles, one per day. Focus on speed reading, and getting the jist... noticing words that jump out at you - either because you don't know what they mean, or they are the key topic of the paragraph.

If you read one scientific article per day, you WILL improve your reading skills. You'll get faster and better at spotting weird stuff that you can predict what questions will be asked. Predict the questions as you scan the article.

Trust me, just practice and have confidence. You'll surprise yourself on test day. Even if you don't think you've improved come time for the test... you'll surprise yourself!

Good sites are Google Scholar (any article will do, just get the free ones) and if you're still in college, your school library should have online access to scientific journals that is free to you. Reading online is key since the test is on a computer screen.

Good luck!

You can prepare for this section, It just takes lots of practice. Speed is the key to RC. Get your hands on as many practice tests as possible. In addition I would read newspaper and scientific articles everyday. I feared this section most but when it came down to the actual test, it was a breeze. The passages were shorter/simpler than any of the practice passages I had gone through.