Reading Comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AzilaDMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
can you give me advice on how to do well on this section? got any skills? kaplan tells you to map out the passage...is there a better way to do it to get a 20 or 20+ ?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

AzilaDMD said:
hey guys,
can you give me advice on how to do well on this section? got any skills? kaplan tells you to map out the passage...is there a better way to do it to get a 20 or 20+ ?
Thanks

it's the safest method.

i got a 21 on rc the first time i took, if you click past the passage, you should start the questions, with the passage on the bottom or top you can scroll through, i sort've made a roadmap like kaplan told you to do, but i just clicked through to the questions instead of just reading the passage first, some guy told me about the same thing and he got like a 24 on it. i was making 18's on my prac. test's until i tried his way

But then how did the other person with the 24 know where to locate the answer - which paragraph- if there was no roadmap?

Members don't see this ad :)
well i guess this is waht she is saying
instead of maping the text, you are mapping the questions and then looking for all answers at the same time
i tried it on one of my pracitce tests
i felt like i am wasting time
then i went back to skimming method for the second passage and got a 19
if you want to do her method, you need to practice it 10^3 time to get a 24 :sleep:

AzilaDMD said:
But then how did the other person with the 24 know where to locate the answer - which paragraph- if there was no roadmap?

I also tried reading the questions first on the actual DAT and it didn't work for me because I ran out of time. Just practice both methods several times and see which one works for you. If you are a fast reader then maybe skimming the passage first will work best.

hey. there a few methods you could use. like everyone is telling you the roadmap system. The minute the passage comes up read the first sentance of each (sometimes you don't need to even fully read it) you will get the idea of what the paragraph is telling you. Number and write it down and move on to the next. that way when the wuestion comes up you can go to that section directly and find the answer. If you decide to try this method make sure to have practiced with it.

also, you could quickly read/skim the article before starting. and then answer.

in my opinion reading the question and then trying to find the answer w/o reading the passage is a sure way of wasting time and it isn't very good.

it also helps to be able to read fast but if you can't try the first method it should be the most helpful. it helped raise mine by the 3 pts. Good Luck!

I don't read especially fast, but I was able to read every passage completely and still answer the questions and i had like 3 or 4 minutes left over... i got a 23 on the read deal. I'd say at least skim the passage before looking at the questions

dmonee6 said:
I don't read especially fast, but I was able to read every passage completely and still answer the questions and i had like 3 or 4 minutes left over... i got a 23 on the read deal. I'd say at least skim the passage before looking at the questions

did you read the passage and do the roadmap? or did you just read it and remembered where things were?

i got a 21 by looking at the question, then scanning for the answer

AzilaDMD said:
did you read the passage and do the roadmap? or did you just read it and remembered where things were?

I'm not sure what the roadmap is... i just read it thru once, then went to the questions. I mean, i went back to look for the answer... but i pretty much just remembered the spot in the passage that the question was relating to. Is the roadmap reading the first paragraph, and then the first sentence of each paragraph after that? That's what kaplan taught us, but i personally felt that it didn't give me enough info. A lot of people in my kaplan class with me thought it was just easier to read the passage all the way thru.

i dramatically improved my score by reading the first two questions and reading the passage. When I find an answer to the passage i select it and push next or return to the question i did not answer yet. I do this while I write keywords and the topic of the paragraph just in case I have trouble locating where I read information for the pertaining question.

I use to use the Kaplan roadmap method but it was not working for me. My RC scores jumped up from an avg of 14's to 19's!

Give it a try

I'm slow when it comes to writing anything or else I wouldn't be able to read my own writing at all...so I guess I'll never be good road map.

gosh i keep getting 17 on practice tests. i'm a SLOW reader and
english is my second language. I'm alway short on time...
anyone have any suggestion what I should do? i mean real
dat wouldn't be any easier than the practice tests right?