Reading directions to customer - technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalaland33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other day, I had a new pharmacist covering for the pharmacist that usually work at my store. A new patient asked me if the directions were written on the prescription bottle and if I'd read it to them. I read it to them. They wanted to get more information so I got the pharmacist and told her that I just read the directions to them but they had some more questions. She said that I shouldn't do that because I could get in trouble for doing that.

I'm a technician working in Texas. Is reading the directions to the patient actually against the law? Sometimes I have people asking over the drive-thru asking how often they're supposed to take it and I respond "the directions say...." and the other two pharmacists I usually work with have never said anything about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do what your pharmacists tell you to do. Reading sigs can be perceived as counseling, in specific telling the pts how to take their meds. What if you read the label wrong OR the pt hears it wrong and claims they were told to take it erroneously? Or the label is typed wrong and you don't know any better? Do you realize that counseling is mostly reading the label in general? Do you realize that a lot of pts don't know the difference between tech VS pharmacists and are assuming that they are talking to the pharmacist.

Reactions: 3 users
That's understandable. Definitely will not be doing that again.

The other day, I had a new pharmacist covering for the pharmacist that usually work at my store. A new patient asked me if the directions were written on the prescription bottle and if I'd read it to them. I read it to them. They wanted to get more information so I got the pharmacist and told her that I just read the directions to them but they had some more questions. She said that I shouldn't do that because I could get in trouble for doing that.

I'm a technician working in Texas. Is reading the directions to the patient actually against the law? Sometimes I have people asking over the drive-thru asking how often they're supposed to take it and I respond "the directions say...." and the other two pharmacists I usually work with have never said anything about this.

If you do it in front of TSBP, you can be sure that the pharmacist on duty is going to get rekt.

I only allow me techs to stop, say "let me go get Alan so he can go over it with you"

Reactions: 1 user