Reading!! Please HELP!

Rusunn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pracating for OAT and doing alright in all my sections except for one, the reading comprehension section. JEEZ, this section would be my downfall. i tired kaplan strategies, and summarizing each paragraph but nothing seems to work, my score always constanly fluctuates from like 250 to 300. For those of you who did well on this section, how did you go about tackling this section?? Did you just read the passages normally and then just answer the questions?? I feel that it is impossible to read the passages in the time given and thats why kaplan sugguests a mapping strategy. I am beginning to get an anixety attack from this section. anything would be helpful!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Rusunn said:
I am pracating for OAT and doing alright in all my sections except for one, the reading comprehension section. JEEZ, this section would be my downfall. i tired kaplan strategies, and summarizing each paragraph but nothing seems to work, my score always constanly fluctuates from like 250 to 300. For those of you who did well on this section, how did you go about tackling this section?? Did you just read the passages normally and then just answer the questions?? I feel that it is impossible to read the passages in the time given and thats why kaplan sugguests a mapping strategy. I am beginning to get an anixety attack from this section. anything would be helpful!

Thanks

For the reading part, I read through each passage first and then went back to answer the questions. I think that if you read it through first, you will be able to find the answers faster (worked for me anyways!). I don't think I'm the fastest reader and I still had a little time to spare at the end of this section. Good luck!

Rusunn said:

Thanks

Some people read the questions then "hunt" for the answer in the text. Other people make quick notes about each paragraph they read and then use the notes to "guide" them to the answer. Hope this helps!

Rusunn said:

Thanks

My advice is to read a question and then find the answer. Most of the answers are right in the essay and you just need to find them. There will be a few questions that require more attention, yet you can come back to these after you handle the easier questions. You should be able to get a decent score with this method.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also took the Kaplan course and practiced all the mapping strategies. What I found that worked for me in the end was jotting down summarizing words for each paragraph, or names, theories that you know will come up in the questions later. I do this while VERY QUICKLY skimming the whole passage. Then I head straight to the questions and start hunting for the answers using my skeletal map. I find that the bulk of questions are detail oriented, so that's why I chose the answer hunting method over kaplan's elaborate mapping stuff. This left me with extra time to think over the "concept" questions. Try different methods on different practice tests and see what works for you.

i took kaplan and their strategies of writing down key words for e/ paragraph sux. i would run of time and had to start guessing at the end. so this is what i did...and i got a 370 in reading. dun bother reading the passage first. i just read the first question and hunt for the answers in the passage and so on and so forth. they give you enough time to do that and i even have a couple minutes left to review some questions i wasn't sure about at the end. since they give u 60 min for 3 essays so u have 20 min each. try pacing yourself to only spend 20 min or less in each paragraph! i hope this helps* gluck :)

I did well in this section, I read the passages first then went through and did the questions refering back to the passages if i needed to.