Reading suggestions for a 3rd year student starting a pain med rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stsa84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, 3rd year med student here. At this early point in my training, I am seriously considering pain management as a career, most likely through PM&R.

I have an elective in pain management coming up later this month, and was looking for recommendations for reading material for the month. Any books/chapters out there that stand out as good resources? It seems to take me 2-3 weeks into a rotation before I feel comfortable knowing the basics of the specialty...I'd like to get a jump on this, and have some good resources to guide my study during the month. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Syllabus:

Texts:

1.Clinical anatomy of the lumbar spine and sacrum. Bogduk N. 3rd Ed, 1997, Churchill-Livingstone
2. Neural blockade in clinical anesthesia and management of pain. Cousins, M, Bridenbaugh, P. 3rd Ed, 1998, Lippincott-Raven
3. Clinical biomechanics of the spine. White A, Panjabi M. 2nd Ed, 1990, Lippincott-Raven.
4. Atlas of regional anesthesia. Brown, D. 2nd Ed, 1999, W.B. Saunders Company.
5. The adult spine. Principles and practice. 2nd Ed, 1997, Frymoyer. Lippincott-Raven.
6. Fordyce's Behavioral Methods for Chronic Pain and Illness

Weekly Journal Readings:

The Tissue of origin of low back pain and sciatica.; a report of pain response to tissue stimulation during operations on the lumbar spine using local anesthesia. Kuslich, S, et al. Orthopedic Clinics of North America 22(2), 4/91, 181-187.
Prognostic indicators for acute low back pain. Goertz, M. Spine 15(12) 1990.
Back injuries in industry: a retrospective study. I Overview and cost analysis. Spengler, D, et al. Spine 11(3), 1986.
Back injuries in industry: a retrospective study. II Injury factors. Bigos, S, et al, Spine 11(3), 1986.
Back injuries in industry: a retrospective study. III Employee-related factors. Bigos S, et al, Spine 11(3), 1986.
Epidemiological features of chronic low back pain. Andersson, GB, Lancet 354(9178), 1999.
The Saskatchewan health and back pain survey: the prevalence of low back pain and related disability in Saskatchewan adults. Cassidy J, et al. Spine 23(17), 1998.
Outcome of low back pain in general practice: a prospective study. Croft P, et al. BMJ 316(7141), 1998.
The course of back pain in primary care. Von Korff M, Saunders, K. Spine 21(24) 1996.
Should the gap be filled between guidelines and actual practice for management of low back pain in primary care? The Quebec experience. Rossignol, M, et al. Spine 21(24) 1996.
The effect of compensation involvement on the reporting of pain and disability by patients referred for rehabilitation of chronic low back pain. Rainville, J, et al. Spine 22(17), 1997.
Investigation of peripheral neuropathy. McLeod J. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, 58(3), 1995.
Comparison of economic and social reqard in patients with chronic nonmalignant back pain. Ciccone D, et al. Psychosomatic Medicine 61(4), 1999.
A controlled trial of an educational program to prevent low back injuries. Daltroy L, et al. NEJM 337(322-8), 1997.
A randomized trial of lay person-led self—management group intervention for back pain patients in primary care. Von Korff, M, et al. Spine 23(23), 1998.
The treatment of acute low back pain- bed rest, exercises, or ordinary activity? NEJM 332(351-5), 1995.
The prognostic consequence in making of the initial medical diagnosis of work-related back injuries. Abenhaim L, et al. Spine 20(7), 1995.
Back pain in primary care. Outcomes at 1 year. Von Korff, M, et al. Spine 18(7), 1993.
A comparison of physical therapy, chiropractic manipulation, and provision of an educational booklet for the treatment of patients with low back pain. NEJM 339(15), 1998.
The outcomes and costs of care for acute low back pain among patients seen by primary care practitioners, chiropractors, and orthopedic surgeons. Carey T, et al. NEJM 333(913-7), 1995.
Physician variation in diagnostic testing for low back pain. Who you see is what you get. Cherkin D, et al. Arthritis & Rheumatism 37(1), 1994.
Outcome of unoperated discogram-positive low back pain. Rhyne, A, et al. Spine 20(18), 1995.
Low back pain. Deyo R, Sci Am, 1998.
Rupture of the intervertebral disc with involvement of the spinal canal. Mixter W, Barr J. NEJM 211(5), 1934.
Sciatica and the intervertebral disc. An experimental study. Smyth, M, et al. JBJS-B 40(A), 1958
High levels of inflammatory phospholipase A2 activity in lumbar disc herniations. Saal J, et al. Spine 15(7), 1990.
Nerve ingrowth into diseased intervertebral disc in chronic back pain. Freemont A, et al. Lancet 350(9072), 1997.
An immunohistochemical study of nerve structures in the annulus fibrosus of human normal lumbar intervertebral discs. Palmgren, T, et al. Spine 24(20), 1999.
Innervation of “painful” lumbar discs. Coppes, M, et al. Spine 22(20), 1997.
The facet syndrome. Mooney V, Robertson J, Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research 115, 1976.
The relative contributions of the disc and zygapophyseal joint in chronic low back pain. Schwarzer A, et al. Spine 19(7), 1994.
Capacity of the clinical picture to characterize low back pain relieved by facet joint anesthesia: proposed criteria to identify patients with painful facet joints. Revel M, et al. Spine 23(18), 1998.
Contemporary concepts in spine care. Lumbar zygapophysial (facet) joint injections. Dreyfus, P, et al. Spine 20(18), 1995.
The ability of lumbar medial branch blocks to anesthetize the zygapophysial jont. A physiologic challenge. Kaplan, M, et al. Spine 23(17), 1998.
Degenerative spondylolisthesis: developmental or acquired? Love T, et al. JBJS-B 81(4), 1999.
Orientation of the lumbar facet joints: association with degenerative disc disease. Boden S, et al. JBJS 78-A(3), 1996.
Discs degenerate before facets. Butler et al. Spine 15(2), 1990.
The false-positive rate of uncontrolled diagnostic blocks of the lumbar zygapophysial joints. Pain 58, 1994.
A controlled trial of corticosteroid injections into facet joints for chronic low back pain. Carette S, et al. NEJM 325, 1991.
The relative contributions of the disc and zygapophyseal joint in chronic low back pain. Schwarzer AC, et al. Spine 19(7), 1994.
The value of the medical history and physical examination in diagnosing sacroiliac joint pain. Dreyfuss P, et al,. Spine 21(22), 1996.
Results of sacroiliac joint double block and value of sacroiliac pain provocation tests in 54 patients with low back pain. Maigne et al. Spine 21(16), 1996.
The question of lumbar discography. Holt EP. JBJS, 1968.
The question of lumbar discography revisited: a controlled prospective study of normal volunteers to determine the false-positive rate. JBJS 1990.
Waldman SD. Complications of cervical epidural nerve blocks with steroids: a prospective study of 790 consecutive blocks. Reg Anesth. 1989 May-Jun;14(3):149-51.
Discitis after discography. Fraser RD, Osti OL, Vernon-Roberts B. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1987 Jan;69(1):26-35.
Compensation Neurosis: Financial Reward for Illness as Nocebo. Bellamy, Ray MD. Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research. (336):94-106, March 1997.
The Importance of Placebo Effects in Pain Treatment and Research. Turner, Judith PhD. Deyo, Richard A. MD, MPH. Loesser, John MD. Von Korff, Michael ScD. Fordyce, Wilbert E. PhD. JAMA. 271(20):1609-1614, May 25, 1994.
Cervical epidural steroid injection with intrinsic spinal cord damage. Two case reports. Spine. 1998 Oct 1;23(19):2137-42; discussion 2141-2. Hodges SD, Castleberg RL, Miller T, Ward R, Thornburg C.
Therapeutic selective nerve root block in the nonsurgical treatment of atraumatic cervical spondylotic radicular pain: a retrospective analysis with independent clinical review. Slipman et al. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2000 Jun;81(6):741-6.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, 3rd year med student here. At this early point in my training, I am seriously considering pain management as a career, most likely through PM&R.

I have an elective in pain management coming up later this month, and was looking for recommendations for reading material for the month. Any books/chapters out there that stand out as good resources? It seems to take me 2-3 weeks into a rotation before I feel comfortable knowing the basics of the specialty...I'd like to get a jump on this, and have some good resources to guide my study during the month. Thanks all.

As a medical student, you need to get a broad overview of the different types of pain pathology and treatments. I used this book as a 4th year med student on my anesthesia and pain rotations- it was fantastic:

Amazon

The chapter on pain is about 20-30 pages (easily can be read in a couple hours)- and gave me a great understanding of the basics and allowed me to be a functional member of the team in clinic. For the anatomy, our pain clinic had awesome skeleton/nerve models where the fellows/attendings would point out exactly where the needle was going as well as correlating structures on the fluoro.

101N - Thanks! I'll definitely see if I can borrow those books from anesthesia, and the journals will be a great resource.

afob - Will try to pick that up that book asap. Getting a broad overview is exactly what I want before the rotation begins.

lobelsteve - love the car choice, and have to throw the Dark Tower series back at you