Ready to Consider Reapplying MD/PhD, how to do it right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forwhomthedogbarks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I'm mentally preparing to apply next cycle. I applied to 22 schools all MD/PhD with the following stats:

GPA/BCPM-GPA: 3.62/3.70
MCAT: 515
uGrad: Bioengineering and Nutritional Science double major from top 15 university
Masters: Biomedical Engineering
Research: 5 years, I worked in 3 traditional labs with 1 paper submitted (low impact) and 1 paper in review (Nature), I am co-authors in both. I also worked in medical device development with 3 separate clinicians for different diagnostics leading to one startup as well as some fundraising. Total hours ~4500
Clinical: 200 hours of clinical experience either overseas or shadowing
LoRs: 6 letters: 1 from uGrad, 1 from masters, 1 from internship (one of the medical devices), 1 from current PI, 1 from an MD research supervisor, and 1 from the doc who I started the startup with (another medical device)
EDIT: I also supported myself through college working 30-35 hours/week in various jobs outside academia. Spoke about this as an opportunity to get away from college elitism and get to know more representative people.

The problem was that I applied to mostly MSTP, and I submitted horribly late (most secondaries done in late Oct/early Nov). Getting some rejected within hour/days kind of indicated that there are likely few to no interview spots left.

Having to check the reapplicant box means I probably need to meet higher standards for all my secondaries. I plan to retake the MCAT and am confident I can get ~518+ (my last practices were in the low 520s). My GPA is pretty much unmovable with over 200 credits in undergrad. I am still doing research but until next summer the only thing I can see happening is getting a publication status for my papers described above.

Am I at a disadvantage for being a re-applicant? I feel like my major flaw was applying so late but if I don't have that much improvement in the next 6 months will I be turned down for people who haven't reapplied?

What else can I do to improve my application success? I'm worried I will not have "significant improvements" and applying earlier is a bad explanation. Having all my secondaries written and essays completed now, I'm sure I can edit and apply earlier with stronger essays.

I hope to apply to the same schools + maybe 5 more safeties and a few MD only. Advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are right, your problem was submitting late. MDPHD programs are all pretty small and many of them only have one or two interview days left. Even the best applicants would get shut out applying at this point. Hopefully you won’t have to reapply, but if you do I’d be leery about retaking a 515. It’s a good score even considering how high the MDPHD averages are.

Reactions: 1 user
Any tips on how else to strengthen my application? I keep seeing that they want to see significant improvement but that is in like 7-8 months, which leave little time to add to my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a specific MD/PhD forum with some program directors who could help you if you post there. It is called "physician scientist" and there are very nice people who can help. I applied pretty late as well mid-Oct; however, I only plan on worrying like mid-December because there is a high chance they haven't even seen our apps. Good luck with the process!

Any tips on how else to strengthen my application? I keep seeing that they want to see significant improvement but that is in like 7-8 months, which leave little time to add to my app.

Do you think your papers will be out by then? A published paper is a lot better than a submitted paper or one under review. You could also pick up some clinical volunteering hours- more US based clinical experience is always good, and a bit of volunteering is helpful even for MDPHD. I think that + applying earlier + adding the 'safety' schools will put you in a good position. If you want to get more ideas for places to apply you could ask your mentors for suggestions. I did this and found a few schools that are great research fits that I would not have considered otherwise.

I think the reapplicant stigma is a bit overblown anyway. Reapplicants sometimes have trouble because they often have a weakness they do not address before they try again. I think you are a solid applicant and your main weakness was timing, which is pretty easy to fix.

You applied too late to be a serious applicant. That was your biggest problem. By Oct/Nov, >50% (I don't know the actual number, but I think this a fairly conservative estimate) of interview invites have gone out. By the time they looked at your application, significantly more probably had gone out. So as a mid-range applicant, you were competing for the last handful of interview invites. If you changed nothing, applied to a broad range of schools, and submitted in June, you would have a fair chance based upon your stats, which are on the low end of accepted students, but not terrible. Aside from that, maybe focus on working to support yourself and not working to "get to know more representative people." It sounds insincere and elitist, which is exactly what you're trying to avoid, right? There are plenty of "representative people" that make their way into medicine and academia and if you're reviewer has a working class background, they would probably scoff at that statement.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with climbsRox. I have a fairly similar stats(slightly higher MCAT, slightly lower GPA), but I applied early as possible. I have 8 IIs right now so I think you would have a fair bit of luck. Just remember to apply widely too.