Finally, I've reached the end of this thread! (although there will probably be a ton of new posts before I finish replying....you guys are writing faster than I can read.)
Haven't read all the posts- but is there anything anyone is doing beforr the end of the year to save on taxes for next year?
Im going to buy a new desktop computer - I use it for work when on call, checjing email in evenings, etc. I've read to try and pay 2018 taxes early but I doubt I'll be able to accomplish that...
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
FYI, if you use your computer at all for personal usage (ie checking personal e-mails), then you can only deduct the percentage of time that you are using it for work related use. Ie, $1500 for a computer, but only spend on work 15% of the time, then only 15% of the price can be deducted.
But if it is actually fake news... someone has to call out the bullchit for what it is.
Yes, but they can call it out without using the phrase "fake news"!
It depends how open-minded people are. The majority of the time, I see one side essentially saying, “I’m right” and the the other side saying, “no, I’m right.” Lol.
Yes, but there are always the lurkers reading and learning, who never say anything. On any board, there are usually far more lurkers than active posters.
" effectively creating a parasitic voting bloc who want to influence government to harm others at their gain. I find this incredibly wrong.
While I agreed with a lot of what you had said previously to this point, let's be honest....most American's don't vote. It's hard to blame anything on a "parasitic voting bloc" when barely 50% of American's vote in presidential election years (far, far less on off-years or primaries.)
If anything, most of the people posting on this forum should be taxed more. It should be well over 50% for the highest incomes.
What do you consider the highest incomes? Most people here, including physicians, aren't anywhere near the 1%. And while most people here are probably in the top 10%, they are probably still closer in income to the bottom income levels than the top 1%.
I want everyone to observe their Medicaid customers and ask themselves, is there anything wrong with these people that they couldn't make something of their life?
Actually, from what I've seen, most Medicaid customers are employed at minimum wage or underemployed at part-time work. There is something wrong when people working full-time, or wanting to work and unable to find full-time work, can't afford health insurance (I'm just point this out, I'm not saying I think the government can fix this situation.) Many Medicaid customers are also on Medicare because they are elderly or disabled, but that's a different situation.
.A basic guaranteed income is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Firstly, the founders obviously didn't intend for this as they never even mentioned it, implemented it, and we didn't even have federal income taxes at the time.
The idea of the basic guaranteed income has come about due to the very real possibility that computers will take over all possible jobs. Even untouchable "creative" jobs, as people are working on computers who can create music, novels, etc. What happens to the humans, when computers are the only thing that can offer value? I'm not saying I agree with this prognosis, I'm just explaining why there is now talk of a basic guaranteed income when in the past that would have made no sense.
I am greatly enjoying reading people's thoughts on this thread. I strongly lean libertarian, but I don't think it can be ignored that a huge number of people who could have supported themselves just find in a libertarian society as recent as 150 years ago, can not do so today. In the past, people who didn't want to really work, could still live by walking through a wild forest and picking berries and catching a rabbit. I guess the modern equivalent would be dumpster diving, but even that avenue is being turned off as most businesses are locking their dumpsters these days.