This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue1313

Reaction score
Hello! Long time lurker on SDN, but first time posting...I feel like I have had an unusual pre-med experience so I wanted other's opinions!

I began college as a communications major at a local college and decided to go into medicine after completing my freshman year. From there I changed major (to psychology), did some summer classes to catch up, and then transferred to a liberal arts college junior year. I am now applying this cycle (going into my senior year) with the following stats:

cGPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.80
MCAT 513

However, I have earned nothing but A's while in college and the only thing bringing down my GPA is high school dual credit (I did not care about my grades as much in high school...) so I am unsure if that will make a difference to admissions committees...

aside from stats:

~1400 hours working at local, family-owned store
~24 shadowing hours (internal medicine, cardiology)
~900 hours as a medical scribe
~16 hours at a free clinic
~40 hours hospital volunteering
~20 hours volunteering at an after-school program

Also in/ was in:

local college Honors College
Answers for Autism club
Watercolor painting classes

I have not done formal research, but as a psychology major, I have taken classes that included semester-long research projects. Again, not sure if this matters to admissions committees... I feel as though I have bounced around a lot and do not have as much volunteering/ research as other applicants because I was not pre-med my first year of college. Also, I am an Indiana resident.

Do I have a realistic chance of getting into any MD programs? If so, at which schools?

Thanks everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive interviews at these schools with your stats:
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Cincinnati
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Seton Hall
NOVA MD

You could receive interviews at these schools with your stats:
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Cincinnati
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Thank you! Do you think that my EC's are relatively weak??

I disagree with my learned colleague. I see very little non-clinical volunteering from OP.
I did do some volunteering through the Answers for Autism club as well... but even with that do you think that my EC's are too weak to apply this cycle? Also, do you think it matters to the admissions committees that I have only been pre-med for two years while others have had three years to complete volunteer hours?

I did do some volunteering through the Answers for Autism club as well... but even with that do you think that my EC's are too weak to apply this cycle?
Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all. But get in more service to others, and off-campus and out of your comfort zone.

Also, do you think it matters to the admissions committees that I have only been pre-med for two years while others have had three years to complete volunteer hours?
Nope.