Realistic Expectations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coreglobe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently graduated with a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology with a GPA of 3.95. I was thinking about med school but need to take some science pre-reqs to prepare for the mcat. Realistically, would it be possible to get a 500 (or maybe better?) by taking these courses before I take the test: 2 semesters of General Chemistry (10 hours), Organic Chemistry I (5 hours), and 1 semester of Biology (5 hours).

I would finish up the rest of the science pre-reqs after applying. Any information would help, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The classes won't really help as MCAT prep. You need to spend some time specifically prepping for the rest. Honestly I would say that 70%+ of it is critical thinking

The classes won't really help as MCAT prep. You need to spend some time specifically prepping for the rest. Honestly I would say that 70%+ of it is critical thinking

In my opinion those classes would help tremendously for the exam. Yes the MCAT is mainly critical thinking but without some sort of science background you'll have no idea what's going on in the passages and you'll miss the discretes.

You have a 3.95 GPA however and if that reflects your intelligence there should be no problem in taking just a few of the pre-reqs and trying to learn the material yourself. You might need to give yourself a little bit more time than your average test taker to master the content.

The MCAT tests a lot of subjects and I agree with anatomygrey12, there's a lot of critical thinking involved. You should definitely take biochemistry, there's a lot on the new MCAT. Why not do a post-bacc program to meet your prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion those classes would help tremendously for the exam. Yes the MCAT is mainly critical thinking but without some sort of science background you'll have no idea what's going on in the passages and you'll miss the discretes.

You have a 3.95 GPA however and if that reflects your intelligence there should be no problem in taking just a few of the pre-reqs and trying to learn the material yourself. You might need to give yourself a little bit more time than your average test taker to master the content.

I should have been more clear, using the classes as your prep will set you up to fail. Knowing the content as a foundation will definitely help but you need MCAT specific prep to do well

Reactions: 1 users
I should have been more clear, using the classes as your prep will set you up to fail. Knowing the content as a foundation will definitely help but you need MCAT specific prep to do well

Ah, I was under the impression OP knew to do MCAT specific prep on top of the pre-reqs taken. Taking the pre-reqs alone without focused prep is indeed a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 1 user
No chance. 500 is an average score for PRE-MEDS. It's a slap in the fact to think that just bc you have a good GPA that you could do well on the MCAT without taking the classes or studying. Really naive.