Realistic med school pathway (SWE -> premed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hazlexnut

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi folks! I'm looking for some feedback on where I stand in terms of med school applications and realistically what would be a good plan to prepare to apply to med school. I'm 5 years out of undergrad, and have been working as a software engineer for that time.

Stats at a glance:
Undergrad: Ivy League
Major: Applied Math + Computer Science
uGPA: 3.86, sGPA: 3.33

I'm missing most of the premed core courses, have to take 7-8 classes.
Hours:
Clinical: ~60 hours ER volunteer (2016)
Shadowing: 0 hours
Leadership: not sure what counts, maybe ~50-100 depending on what I describe as leadership
Nonclinical Volunteer: ~250 hours, and ongoing
  • ~70 hrs from undergrad
  • Rest from Mental Health Phone Line, Food Bank, Harm Reduction (graduation - now, consistent)
Research: (pretty old, freshman / sophomore year) ~1000 hours
- Pathology Lab affiliated with hospital: ~200 hours
- Research w/ NASA lab: ~800 hours, presentation at conference, co-author PLOS paper (kind of a fake publication)

MCAT: haven't taken

URM/Identity:
- ORM/Asian, not economically disadvantaged
- California Resident
- Transgender (visible/vocal, involved in LGBT advocacy)

Questions:
  1. Not sure if I would benefit from applying to "competitive" post-baccs since I think I'm a semi competitive applicant (ie. Scripps, Bryn Mawr, etc.) which statistically would give me a high chance of getting into med school but is expensive vs. doing a DIY post-bacc in the Bay Area where I'm currently pretty rooted and have ongoing clinical and nonclinical relationships I'm cultivating + my support system is here.
  2. Does my research need to be "fresh"? I have a bunch of hours but it's from almost a decade ago.
Perceived strengths:
- Strong consistent thread of serving URM/marginalized populations through volunteer and ECs out of school
- Solid undergrad performance in a difficult major from a "prestigious" institution
Perceived weaknesses:
- Weak ugrad science GPA (hopefully will be remediated by post-bacc performance)
- Old research
- Lack of clinical hours
- Lack of shadowing

My current plan is to complete my missing coursework requirements + take the MCAT over the next couple years through either DIY or structured postbacc, continue my non-clinical volunteering, work as a medical assistant to get clinical hours, and find someone to shadow at some point. I foresee this process taking 2 years if things go smoothly academically, and 3 years if not before I can apply. Hoping to get some thoughts and feedback both on where I stand and whether I'm missing something important in my plans for preparing to apply.
 
Last edited:
You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care) The more clinical and non clinical hours the better (ideally 250+ of each). You could do a DIY post bacc at a local college and take all the prerequisites there.
 
I was in a similar position to you albeit graduated in 2014, got a tech-ish MS, and had a lower uGPA. Took me about 3 years to get everything done while working full time. This was my app that resulted in 1 MD A, older WAMC linked in this thread too:

 
I had to do most of my DIY post bacc remotely because I lived in BFE and the only local uni didn't take post bacc students unless you paid for their absurd $65k program. That did limit my options somewhat but most of the social justice oriented places were on my list and I got into UVM which is 25-30% queer per their own report. 🙂