Realistically whats better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack555

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which way do you have a better chance of getting in to pharmacy school?

Taking your prerequisites, getting a 3.7 gpa, applying

or

Getting your bs with lots of upper division science courses like histology, neuroscience, neuroanatomy, etc but having a lower gpa (like 3.3)because of the upper division classes?

I'm at a point where I need to either be working towards my BS or towards my prerequisites. I'd like a BS but if it lowers my chances of getting in I might want to just go straight to pharmacy school.

thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad.

So ultimately, you want a PharmD degree, not some BS in Chemistry or Biology. Regardless of what you want to do now, you still have to take the pre-requisites. Why waste your time getting a BS when what you want in the end is a PharmD?? Wouldn't it be a smarter choice to work towards the pre-req and apply? If you don't get in, then work on the BS. But if you really want a BS, then just work hard and get good grades. Why do you already assume that you won't do well just because they're the upper science courses?

It all depends on the admission policies at various schools. Some just look at the GPA and nothing else, others take into consideration the amount of semester hours and earned degrees. You have to check with each program you're interested in. I know with UCHSC it was a recent change that they're taking into consideration the amount of coursework completed. They understand that it's easier to maintain a 3.7 when you've only taken two years of college versus four.

Also keep in mind that your GPA won't necessarily go down, it could even go up. If you've maintained a 3.7 so far you should be alright. Personally I've found upper division classes to be a bit easier since they focus on a single topic rather than trying to cover large amounts of material. What I'm trying to say is that if you did well in your lower division classes, you'll probably be fine with upper division.

I'm happy I went for my BS. I've learned a lot of cool stuff that I'm interested in and feel it will give me an advantage at pharmacy school. Also I figured it was a good idea in case something terrible happens, I can't complete pharmacy school for whatever reason I at least have a bachelor's degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not that I'm assuming I won't do well. I'll try my best all throughout college, so far thats a 3.8 (I'm a freshman in my third quarter of college). I just read someones post yesterday and it made me think about this.

Thanks for your input, I think I'm going to try to work the most towards my pre-reqs.

Why don't you go for both? A bachelor looks good to the adcom. That will show that you will be able to handle higher level courses better than the person with just the prerequisites. Pick a major you can handle and included in the prerequisites in that major!!!!

You can pick a major that includes most of your prereqs, like chemistry, Biology or Biochem. That way you can fulfill both at the same time and apply before your BS is done and if you get in just go to Pharm school and if you don't keep working towards your BS.
At least that is what I did and it worked out well for me, scheduling wise and less stress. These days a BS will make you a more competitive student, just work hard in those upper division classes, it is possible with hard work to pull As in them or at least a few of them.

You can pick a major that includes most of your prereqs, like chemistry, Biology or Biochem. That way you can fulfill both at the same time and apply before your BS is done and if you get in just go to Pharm school and if you don't keep working towards your BS.
At least that is what I did and it worked out well for me, scheduling wise and less stress. These days a BS will make you a more competitive student, just work hard in those upper division classes, it is possible with hard work to pull As in them or at least a few of them.

That is what I'm doing but no major offers all the pre-reqs (at my school). I'm a biotech major. I'm going to put off some of the biotech degree classes to take pre-reqs that don't count towards my degree. I was a little nervous about doing this.

I agree with kellybean. if you have decided on some pharmacy schools that don't require a bachelors degree then you shouldn't stay 2 years longer to get one.

just make sure you get in!. lmao.