Realistically will I ever get into med school? (Please no sugarcoating)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloverbudz

Reaction score
Hi -

So I'm not going to sugarcoat anything and I don't want you to either. I'm going to tell you my stats and situation. I know getting into med school after this year will be damn near impossible but there's nothing I want more than life than becoming a doctor, and I would like any tips that can improve my current situation.

I am just finishing my freshman year in University. It was an absolute nightmare. I'm swallowing my pride and being 110% honest. My first semester I got a 2.7 gpa after getting a mix of A's and B's and a C in chem lab, a D In gen chem, and a C in Biocalculus. This semester I did not do any better and have all C's and few D's and only one A and one B. The reason for these grades is a combination of me not knowing how to properly study and also the fact all of my classes were online - something that is incredibly difficult for me as I have trouble staring at a screen for too long and concentrating on purely auditory teaching.

Now, after my first semester, I thought there was no way my grades could get worse...but they did. I all but cried to my advisor when I told her the very career I dedicated my whole life to pursuing will now forever be a lost chance. But she said something that gave me a tiny glimmer of hope. Now I know she was probably just saying this to make me feel better since she's not a prehealth advisor, but she did get me thinking. She told me my extracurriculars may be my ticket to med school. Now I know grades and the MCAT are 10x more important than extracurriculars but here is what I have:

- I'm a certified medical assistant (CMA). I had two one-year-long MA internships in high school and also attended a lot of programs at the local medical schools and hospitals. I worked both in the summer before university and winter break as a MA/Covid tester at my local urgent care. I was working 60+ hour weeks most of the time since Covid was a huge problem in my area. I'm trained to do a lot of things outside of my certification since I live in a low-income area and the doctors/PAs just needed all the help they could get. (I'm also a URM if that matters)
- I am involved in a lot of student organizations on campus and hold many leadership positions. I have been promoted in two of my organizations for next year and will have more responsibilities (and better stuff to put on my resume)
- I will be getting my EMT certification this fall and plan to work for my university (they have an integrated program).
- I will also be taking the RA class and will be an RA sometime next year or junior year.
- I have 65 hours of Virtual Shadowing (and counting)
- I recently had an interview with the Big Brothers Big Sisters program and have possible internships lining up with the youth service bureau (they told me they would give me more info in the fall). I am very passionate about working with kids and can show my commitment since middle school.

I think that is everything. I know the answer will basically be get as many A's as possible in the next 3 years. But is there anything else? Should I focus on the CMA or EMT? Or just grades and MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Focus on getting your academics in order before devoting time to extracurricular activities, without a solid GPA and MCAT going forward your EC's will not matter. As you hone in on your study strategies you can slowly begin to add extracurriculars to the mix, but DO NOT overwhelm yourself. Best of luck, just stay focused and keep your head down and you will be fine!

Reactions: 5 users
Activities can be helpful but if your grades are low nothing will help. Start focusing only on your grades. Go to the Academic advising office(or whatever they are calling it at your school) and ask for help. They can show you how to study more efficiently and use your time better. You have to get As from this point on . No more bad semesters. Focus on academics only. If you want to be a doctor do what you have to do. And even then there are no guarantees. Every application cycle nearly 60 percent of all applicants are outright rejected, including stellar applicants. So always have a backup plan. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grades > all. Clinical experience and volunteering hours can be gotten after you graduate.

Reactions: 5 users
It is far from over. Start focusing on an upward trend in grades and make sure you destroy the MCAT. You have just now finished your freshman year? There is three years to work on your grades and upward trend. I ENDED my undergrad at a 2.67 cGPA after SIX years (4 years of doing poorly and not focusing on school and two years of really killing 60 credits of upper division sciences at almost a 4.0) I did average on MCAT (506) and I have two acceptances to medical schools. You need to focus on your grades because your ECs alone will not get you the interview. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi -

So I'm not going to sugarcoat anything and I don't want you to either. I'm going to tell you my stats and situation. I know getting into med school after this year will be damn near impossible but there's nothing I want more than life than becoming a doctor, and I would like any tips that can improve my current situation.

I am just finishing my freshman year in University. It was an absolute nightmare. I'm swallowing my pride and being 110% honest. My first semester I got a 2.7 gpa after getting a mix of A's and B's and a C in chem lab, a D In gen chem, and a C in Biocalculus. This semester I did not do any better and have all C's and few D's and only one A and one B. The reason for these grades is a combination of me not knowing how to properly study and also the fact all of my classes were online - something that is incredibly difficult for me as I have trouble staring at a screen for too long and concentrating on purely auditory teaching.

Now, after my first semester, I thought there was no way my grades could get worse...but they did. I all but cried to my advisor when I told her the very career I dedicated my whole life to pursuing will now forever be a lost chance. But she said something that gave me a tiny glimmer of hope. Now I know she was probably just saying this to make me feel better since she's not a prehealth advisor, but she did get me thinking. She told me my extracurriculars may be my ticket to med school. Now I know grades and the MCAT are 10x more important than extracurriculars but here is what I have:

- I'm a certified medical assistant (CMA). I had two one-year-long MA internships in high school and also attended a lot of programs at the local medical schools and hospitals. I worked both in the summer before university and winter break as a MA/Covid tester at my local urgent care. I was working 60+ hour weeks most of the time since Covid was a huge problem in my area. I'm trained to do a lot of things outside of my certification since I live in a low-income area and the doctors/PAs just needed all the help they could get. (I'm also a URM if that matters)
- I am involved in a lot of student organizations on campus and hold many leadership positions. I have been promoted in two of my organizations for next year and will have more responsibilities (and better stuff to put on my resume)
- I will be getting my EMT certification this fall and plan to work for my university (they have an integrated program).
- I will also be taking the RA class and will be an RA sometime next year or junior year.
- I have 65 hours of Virtual Shadowing (and counting)
- I recently had an interview with the Big Brothers Big Sisters program and have possible internships lining up with the youth service bureau (they told me they would give me more info in the fall). I am very passionate about working with kids and can show my commitment since middle school.

I think that is everything. I know the answer will basically be get as many A's as possible in the next 3 years. But is there anything else? Should I focus on the CMA or EMT? Or just grades and MCAT?

Grades and MCAT are key. Many places automatically weed out applicants solely on the scores. Realistically you still have a chance if you can bump up your GPA to at least 3.2, get stellar MCAT scores and apply broadly to MD and DO programs. DO schools are generally much less competitive and you may have better chances with them.. And while I don't think they are a good choice for most applicants, you may also want to explore options with the bigger name carribbean MD schools as well.