Reality Check!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the pre-osteopathic forum, I have seen many encouraging things that made me want to go into DO schools rather than taking one year off to take MCAT again. (I have almost perfect stats (GPA, EC, research,etc) except MCAT. I couldn't sleep for 2 days straight before the test and it caused me to lower my MCAT score to 25.) However, I did not wish to retake MCAT and waste a whole year of my life. I looked into DO schools and made my decision. Fortunately, I was accepted to NYCOM and I like the school.

However, I get a chance to explore osteopathic forum today and read many things that made me worried about my future such as residency problems.
I am not sure what I want to specializei in, but I am thinking about Emergency medicine.

I would like to ask this question to current 3rd and 4th year DO students.
Can I become a great doctor by going to NYCOM? (I have two interview invites "DMU and CCOM" and I am really confused.)

I also would like to know what kind of problems I am likely to face in my DO medical school education? I do not care about DO stigma, but from reading the posts (especially that "new school vs established school" thread) made me worried that there might be any obstacles big enough to prevent me from becoming a great doctor I dreamed of.

I really appreciate you honest opinions. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I don't really know anything about NYCOM, so I can't help with that. However, as far as becoming a great doctor, that is entirely up to you...you can either be a great doc or a crappy doc regardless of where you go. If you work hard and do well, you greatly reduce any limitations (realize that your biggest limitation is yourself). From what I've heard, to maximize the chances of getting the residency you want, have awesome grades (clinical especially), rock the boards, get to know people affiliated your choice residency. I'm sure there are others who can give you better info than me, but good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Real world is not an ideal world. If you want to achieve something, you will have to work for it. Some people have it easy and others have to work hard for it. Allopathic students and established DO schools are at advantage because they have already proven themselves but that does not mean you will not be able to get good education. Your number one priority should be to get decent score on board. Start contacting the places you want to rotate during your first two years. Start making connections. In the end, everything will work out. Good luck.

I find some of the conclusions in the "Est vs. New schools" thread a bit on the dramatic side. Then again, I am at a new school, so I probably have a little bias ;) . Competitive residencies are competitive whether you are an MD or DO student and regardless of the school you attend.

Sure, certain schools can help open specific doors based on connections they have, but in the end, what matters most is what you bring to the table - grades, boards, work ethic. It's a lot easier to blame the system (which is imperfect) and the school, than it is to look at yourself and see your own shortcomings. If you struggled to pull a 25 on the MCAT, it may not be realistic to believe you will ace the boards. That is more about your ability and determination than any school you attend. My anecdotal observation is that many DO students want to do competitive specialties - ortho, opth, derm, cards, but probably won't end up with the board scores to do it, regardless of where they went to school. That may sound harsh, but I believe that is the reality. I also believe the vast majority of DO students will go on to become excellent physicians, no matter what their board scores.

My advice would be to look at the match list of the schools you are interested in and see where previous students have matched. I think you will find a handful of students at every DO school match into competitive specialties, while many more go into primary care. If you can live with that reality, and understand that your work ethic and ability will largely determine where you end up, I wouldn't worry that the sky is falling in DO clinical education.

Thanks for your inputs. I always give 100% and believe in my work ethic.
I will put all my faith in NYCOM for now and do a little more readings about residencies.

I just wanted to know and make sure that if I give my best shot, I will be able to do without too much limitation because of my degree.

i understand where you are coming from and wish you the best of luck. I think it might benifit you to look and see how quickly osteopaths are growing in some medical specialties. In some specialties i.e. orthopedics and EM osteo's are becoming very popular. There are arguments over why. It could be training or it could be luck (i like to think it is better training). But check that stuff out so that you are truly informed. :thumbup:

NYCOM actually has a great matchlist. It was my reason for picking the school b/c almost every year there are alot of people in the class that match with gas and x-rays. But like everyone said its really all up to you and how hard u work and also how good you are at networking.

My honest opinion is stop reading posts on SDN and spend time in the real world. You'll be surprised at how different it is out there.

As long as you put in the time to really learn the material, you will do fine regardless of the school. I was very similar to you in undergrad. I had great grades, etc...but had bad MCATs (23 and 24). I took a year off and ended up attending a DO school (DMU). I graduate this year and had my choice for a radiology residency. I know many DO students who land good EM residencies, both osteo and allopathic. The key is don't be a douchebag and people will like you. So...good luck to you and I'm sure you will be as good a doctor as you WANT to be.

My honest opinion is stop reading posts on SDN and spend time in the real world. You'll be surprised at how different it is out there.

Absolutely.

Believe it or not premeds dont know as much as they think. I know, youre all shocked, but when a premed explains to me the bias against DOs and the difficulty "his friend" had by being a DO, I just roll my eyes and move on.

Life is good, even if you are a DO. ;)

Thank you for taking your time and helping me relieve my pre-medical school insanity.

I have decided to attend NYCOM. (saw that pretty impressive matchlist :D + pure geographic reason)
I will be canceling my interview at DMU and CCOM tomorrow. (Unless CCOM and DMU or any other DO schools are significantly better than NYCOM, I no longer want to go through the trouble of interviewing process).
Please let me know any last minute considerations that I should make before withdrawing all my other applications.

I am told that CCOM has a very strong program with fantastic rotations. It may be worth checking out.

I too was sick of traveling and interviewing last year...I ended up canceling several interviews at good programs, both MD and DO, and while I am basically happy where I am at, I occasionally find myself wondering what I might be missing.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from the same school as Dr. Dicky (he is pretty darn smart btw), DMU. I like my school, but can't think of any reason you should go there instead of New York if you are happy in NY. The thing I will say for CCOM is that they rotate through Cook County hospital, which is a very good prgoram for ER.

As long as you put in the time to really learn the material, you will do fine regardless of the school. I was very similar to you in undergrad. I had great grades, etc...but had bad MCATs (23 and 24). I took a year off and ended up attending a DO school (DMU). I graduate this year and had my choice for a radiology residency. I know many DO students who land good EM residencies, both osteo and allopathic. The key is don't be a douchebag and people will like you. So...good luck to you and I'm sure you will be as good a doctor as you WANT to be.

If that is the key to med school than I am all set and ready to go..i should have no problem with getting that neurosurgery residency spot...:laugh:

On the pre-osteopathic forum, I have seen many encouraging things that made me want to go into DO schools rather than taking one year off to take MCAT again. (I have almost perfect stats (GPA, EC, research,etc) except MCAT. I couldn't sleep for 2 days straight before the test and it caused me to lower my MCAT score to 25.) However, I did not wish to retake MCAT and waste a whole year of my life. I looked into DO schools and made my decision. Fortunately, I was accepted to NYCOM and I like the school.

However, I get a chance to explore osteopathic forum today and read many things that made me worried about my future such as residency problems.
I am not sure what I want to specializei in, but I am thinking about Emergency medicine.

I would like to ask this question to current 3rd and 4th year DO students.
Can I become a great doctor by going to NYCOM? (I have two interview invites "DMU and CCOM" and I am really confused.)

I also would like to know what kind of problems I am likely to face in my DO medical school education? I do not care about DO stigma, but from reading the posts (especially that "new school vs established school" thread) made me worried that there might be any obstacles big enough to prevent me from becoming a great doctor I dreamed of.

First of all, will everyone please stop wanting EM?!?! Go into something else so I have chance, geez. I can't really add anything to what anyone else has said on here. I do know that you hear a lot of gabbing from various people about the "best way to get that residency spot that you want..." on SDN. The sad thing is, as JP and others have said, most of these people are pre-meds and don't know much more than what they have heard from their Uncle's nephew's friend. I am very interested in EM but, as only a first year I can't tell you much more than what I have heard from ER docs: stay in the top 50%, shoot for a 230 on the USMLE (I don't know what that is on the COMLEX), get invovled but don't kill yourself and have fun that last summer off you get (most advised against research as it isn't necessary, normally). Enjoy this chart:

n929678_32918117_8442.jpg

First of all, will everyone please stop wanting EM?!?! Go into something else so I have chance, geez. I can't really add anything to what anyone else has said on here. I do know that you hear a lot of gabbing from various people about the "best way to get that residency spot that you want..." on SDN. The sad thing is, as JP and others have said, most of these people are pre-meds and don't know much more than what they have heard from their Uncle's nephew's friend. I am very interested in EM but, as only a first year I can't tell you much more than what I have heard from ER docs: stay in the top 50%, shoot for a 230 on the USMLE (I don't know what that is on the COMLEX), get invovled but don't kill yourself and have fun that last summer off you get (most advised against research as it isn't necessary, normally). Enjoy this chart:

Looks like I am on my way for internal medicine...sweet...no need to decide...thats at least one less thing to do

wow... nice chart!!

Thanks for the advice. I am not dead set on EM yet, but when I do, you will have one more tough competitor. :D
I don't know about having fun in the summer. All this time, I am very eager to read anatomy, physiology and biochem books in the summer. My undergrad work is still interfering me from doing that.

Hi there...I just wanted to write because I remeber feeling just like you before I started medical school...didn't want to take the MCAT again, etc. I didn't look at NYCOM but have some friends that went there and they are doing just great in the specialty of their choice. I just graduated from UNECOM this past June and am a PGY1 at an allopathic Emergency Medicine program. It is definitely possible and I am sure you can get into whatever specialty you ultimately choose as long as you work hard.

Good luck and congratulations!

wow... nice chart!!
I don't know about having fun in the summer. All this time, I am very eager to read anatomy, physiology and biochem books in the summer. My undergrad work is still interfering me from doing that.

priceless. the infinite hope of the pre med. it should be bottled and given to patients as an alternative to stem cell therapy.

Hi there...I just wanted to write because I remeber feeling just like you before I started medical school...didn't want to take the MCAT again, etc. I didn't look at NYCOM but have some friends that went there and they are doing just great in the specialty of their choice. I just graduated from UNECOM this past June and am a PGY1 at an allopathic Emergency Medicine program. It is definitely possible and I am sure you can get into whatever specialty you ultimately choose as long as you work hard.

Good luck and congratulations!

Hey... thanks for the input. I have made up my mind to go to NYCOM. :)
I am not looking back anymore. Congrats on your choice of residency. Students like yourself have given me confidence that everything is possible by going through this path.
Thank you.

priceless. the infinite hope of the pre med. it should be bottled and given to patients as an alternative to stem cell therapy.

What do you suggest for this summer then? :D

What do you suggest for this summer then? :D

Here's what I'm doing! Feel free to borrow these ideas!!

If lazy, Try to:

-Move as little as possible
-Sleep as much as possible
-Put on as much weight as possible

If hyper, Try to:

-Work as a Chippendale's Dancer as much as possible
-See above

If Both Lazy and Hyper Intermittantly:

-Rotate through the above two according to your mood!

One word, BEER!!!!!! That is the only thing that should come to your mind.

I dont like beer, I like sweet red wine :) So I guess WINE for me :)

Yeah! Absolutely nothing beats a lukewarm bucket of ripe fart juice! Yeah!

I had a similar feeling to bostongirl before I started as well...... In order to have a better shot at my state school and various other allopathic schools I would have needed to retake the MCAT (27 but 7 in VR) to improve my verbal score which was really the only thing holding my application back from those schools. That meant another year off of school and going through the whole application process again. But I had acceptances at few DO schools and chose AZCOM. I'm an MS-II here now and I have absolutely no regrets about my decision. That being said, I wouldn't recommend attending an osteopathic school if you aren't comfortable with having D.O. after your name or having to explain to many people in the public what the degree is or means. For someone like myself, the degree means an M.D. and then some, although the differences between the degrees is negligable. I also wouldn't recommend attending a D.O. school if you are dead set on surgery or another really competetive specialty, since programs of those types may be more descriminatory.

On the other hand, if you are really interested in any primary care specialty, PM&R, sports medicine, or ER I think it would be advantageous to go the DO route. But bottom line, a doctor is a doctor and med school is med school. Work hard, earn a decent class rank the first two years, do your best on the boards, and plan your clinical years stategically. Take my comments for what they're worth, as I'm still only a second year. Good luck....I've got a micro final to study for now :(

I had a similar feeling to bostongirl before I started as well...... In order to have a better shot at my state school and various other allopathic schools I would have needed to retake the MCAT (27 but 7 in VR) to improve my verbal score which was really the only thing holding my application back from those schools. That meant another year off of school and going through the whole application process again. But I had acceptances at few DO schools and chose AZCOM. I'm an MS-II here now and I have absolutely no regrets about my decision. That being said, I wouldn't recommend attending an osteopathic school if you aren't comfortable with having D.O. after your name or having to explain to many people in the public what the degree is or means. For someone like myself, the degree means an M.D. and then some, although the differences between the degrees is negligable. I also wouldn't recommend attending a D.O. school if you are dead set on surgery or another really competetive specialty, since programs of those types may be more descriminatory.

On the other hand, if you are really interested in any primary care specialty, PM&R, sports medicine, or ER I think it would be advantageous to go the DO route. But bottom line, a doctor is a doctor and med school is med school. Work hard, earn a decent class rank the first two years, do your best on the boards, and plan your clinical years stategically. Take my comments for what they're worth, as I'm still only a second year. Good luck....I've got a micro final to study for now :(

Hey... thanks for the input. I have a 7 on VR as well. :D
Anyway, it is really good to know that I am not the only one to make this kind of decisions.

Good luck on your micro bio test.

Anyway, it is really good to know that I am not the only one to make this kind of decisions.

No u are not only one. I applied to NYCOM as safety school...I never knew I am gonna like it. I declined VCU interview invite today that makes it 3rd MD invite which I declined...I have that weird feeling that I am doing the right thing. Really...and I am deadly set on surgery.

MCATTT we are going to be great doctors :):) :) :)

No u are not only one. I applied to NYCOM as safety school...I never knew I am gonna like it. I declined VCU interview invite today that makes it 3rd MD invite which I declined...I have that weird feeling that I am doing the right thing. Really...and I am deadly set on surgery.

MCATTT we are going to be great doctors :):) :) :)

:eek: you declined interviews??

I am just kidding. People with better stats are going to NYCOM. So, why not me! :laugh:
I actually like NYCOM a lot while I was visiting for the interview. So, it is an easy choice for me. I've already decline 4 DO interviews so far. :D

Seriouly, I have realized many things that are far more important in life than a two letter word behind my name since my first visit to SDN.

Yes, without a doubt we will become great doctors.
Taty, it's a pleasure to have you as a classmate of 2011. ;)

Edit: I shadowed a DO surgeon who was the director of the surgery department. It was a cool experience to be with him in the OR. This shadowing experience had me got rid of any doubts about being a DO.

What does this mean? Stats are MCAT and GPA, not "ECs, research, etc." You have a near perfect GPA, maybe, but not "near perfect stats."

What I meant was that I am a well rounded applicant with lots of EC, research and volunteer activities + strong committee letter + lor from physician. The only thing missing is a good MCAT score. oh.. ..well .... nevermind. It doesn't matter anymore.

'sokay, I have that great MCAT score plus ECs, research, clinical, blah blah but a mediocre GPA. An amazing MCAT score will only get you so far. I'll probably be joining you at NYCOM next year unless I get off the MD waitlist in my city. My only regret about going MD is that it's a lot harder to learn OMM -- I can't wait to start those classes!

Well, Touro-Harlem ($$$ less) is calling my name too.

Maybe see you next fall!

I am just kidding. People with better stats are going to NYCOM. So, why not me! :laugh:
IEdit: I shadowed a DO surgeon who was the director of the surgery department. It was a cool experience to be with him in the OR. This shadowing experience had me got rid of any doubts about being a DO.

What kind of surgeon you shadowed? (I mean speciality)

Heyy!! I got into NYCOM too!!!! with a 26...7 on verbal! Killed me, but whatever. Where are all of you from??? I want to find out more about my classmates!!

First of all, will everyone please stop wanting EM?!?! Go into something else so I have chance, geez.

LOL, that flow chart is so funny. I agree it sucks that EM is getting so popular. I used to practice CPR on my teddy bear as a kid and I am set on doing EM. I wonder why its getting so popular. Is it entirely the shift/minimal hours aspect of it? Maybe its b/c a lot of pre-meds do the EMT thing or shadow in ERs, so they become attracted to it b/c it's the specialty they're most exposed to.....any thoughts anyone?