Reality of a low Step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NupeMD2B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

Can anyone recently matched, scrmable-matched, or already a resident comment on the reality of how screwed one may/may not be with a sub 200 Step 1 score? The opinion I keep getting from people is that I'm going to locked out of a lot of really good programs, and it isn't my desire to practice in Alaska, Idaho, or somewhere else remote. Also, I can't get a straight answer as to how much a better Step 2 CK score helps, since most PDs put emphasis on the Step 1. This isn't helping my confidence, but I am stilll determined to match!! PM me if necessary; your comments are appreciated... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

NupeMD2B said:
Hi gang,

Can anyone recently matched, scrmable-matched, or already a resident comment on the reality of how screwed one may/may not be with a sub 200 Step 1 score? The opinion I keep getting from people is that I'm going to locked out of a lot of really good programs, and it isn't my desire to practice in Alaska, Idaho, or somewhere else remote. Also, I can't get a straight answer as to how much a better Step 2 CK score helps, since most PDs put emphasis on the Step 1. This isn't helping my confidence, but I am stilll determined to match!! PM me if necessary; your comments are appreciated... :confused:

Lucky for you there are no programs in Alaska or Idaho. But seriously, sub-200 may keep you from getting interviews at top tier programs. Crushing Step 2 CK might help, but some programs screen with Step 1 scores and others don't care too much about Step 2 since not many people will have taken it before they apply and hence it's not a good comparison tool. Nevertheless, some people have said that getting great Step 2 scores made up for poor Step 1 performance and got into good programs. Unless you passed by 1 pt, you should be able to get into a University program somewhere in the country. Anesthesia isn't that competitive (>1000 spots/yr and increasing every yr), good luck next year!

For what it's worth, a lot of upcoming Ross graduates matched in Anesthesiology this year. But, all of us who matched in solid programs (myself included) scored at least 220 on Step 1. A few of us had 230+. Now, of course that's coming from the Caribbean. So, factor that in, as this may be less of an issue to you if you are coming from a U.S. school. But, I can also confirm that none of the programs I interviewed really even mentioned my Step 2-CK score (although it was still pretty solid), but some did wait to see my score before offering me an interview - including the program I subsequently matched into.

Still, I should also add that there were a couple of classmates who had better board scores than I did, but I did much better both on the interview trail and in ultimately matching into a top program than they did. So, needless to say, board scores aren't everything.

Don't know how that info will help, or if it will help. But, I'd still apply anyway. And, definitely focus on rocking Step 2-CK.

Good luck.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
skip.......where exactly did you match?......

-jay

Hi! Just to calm your fears a bit here's my experience...I am an IMG from a Caribbean med school and I was in the middle of my class, got a 202 on Step 1...which made me kick it into gear and I ended up with all honors for my 3rd and 4th years except for 2 rotations and most importantly I got a 252 (99) on Step 2! I applied widely because I didn't know where I stood, got 28 invites, went on 16 interviews, ranked all but 2, and got my #1 choice. I got interviews at Wake Forest, U. Washington, Wash U., Penn State (where I matched), U. Pittsburg, U. Rochester, and the like. I did not apply to "top tier" schools however. I will say, however, that 99% of my interviewers ALL commented on my Step 2 score and congratulated me...a lot asked me why there was such a differenece (so if this happens to you definitely have an answer)..and some even went as far as telling me that the step 2 score alone got me the interview (and I had good LORs). I also know that many but not all will average your scores to meet their cut offs. So, I hope this was helpful. Moral of the story...do really well on step 2. If you're an american grad you'll have no worries. Good luck!!! :luck:

yea i knew that part already.......only reason i was curious bc you speak so highly of your program, your boards, your interviews, your credentials, and on and on and on (seems neverending)........yet you won't disclose where you will be......pretty odd.....

see you in the NE......

JP2005 said:
yea i knew that part already.......only reason i was curious bc you speak so highly of your program, your boards, your interviews, your credentials, and on and on and on (seems neverending)........yet you won't disclose where you will be......pretty odd.....

see you in the NE......

It's a solid program. My #2. But, because there are a couple of "sickos" on this forum that I've had problems with in the past, I'd prefer to keep things anonymous. I hope you understand. I will say, though, that if you search this forum for people's assessment of what are consistently noted as great programs (that have been mentioned on more than a few threads), suffice it to say I'm going to be at one of them. As far as any other inferences on my necessarily vague statements, well rest assured that they're all true... for all intents and purposes. As far as "neverending", well, that's your assessment. I'm living proof (as is Swaydaa) that Ross grads can get great spots - despite the occassional gutteral, simian vocalizings of a few na'er-do-wells on this forum who seem to think otherwise. And, I'm proud of my accomplishments. That - as well as getting out the truth (at least as I see it) - are my only "agendas".

See you in the NE. ;)

-Skip

Thanks to all who responded. I am a US student, but your advice none the less helped. I just hope that I can build the confidence enough to A- rock Step 2 and B - match. Wish me luck!!!

NupeMD2B said:
Thanks to all who responded. I am a US student, but your advice none the less helped. I just hope that I can build the confidence enough to A- rock Step 2 and B - match. Wish me luck!!!

Don't put so much pressure on yourself. If you're a US allo student you will match without too much difficulty. Honor your anesthesia rotation and get good LORs and you will be set. Best of luck.

:luck:

Skip_Intro said:
But, because there are a couple of "sickos" on this forum that I've had problems with in the past, I'd prefer to keep things anonymous.

Skippy... International Man of Mystery...

:eek:

originally quoted by impetigo:

Don't put so much pressure on yourself. If you're a US allo student you will match without too much difficulty. Honor your anesthesia rotation and get good LORs and you will be set. Best of luck.

What if you are a US Allopathic graduate - would it still be the same-graduated the year before you applied for anesthesiology?

stlcard said:
What if you are a US Allopathic graduate - would it still be the same-graduated the year before you applied for anesthesiology?

I don't see why it wouldn't be, you would just apply for advanced positions. A considerable number of people do that and anesthesia is a specialty that is pretty favorable towards residents in other specialties who want to switch over to anesthesia (e.g. "gas"). Our home program had several residents who had switched over from OB, surgery, etc. If you took a year off after med school, though, you would have to explain what you did but I don't think it would raise too many red flags.

what if you did not match into another specialty and realize your chances are slim for that specialty because of your scores and you have to consider other options and are interested in anesthesia as well but are planning on doing a year of research in the other specialty (scores are good for anesthesia, per the FAQ section)?

stlcard said:
what if you did not match into another specialty and realize your chances are slim for that specialty because of your scores and you have to consider other options and are interested in anesthesia as well but are planning on doing a year of research in the other specialty (scores are good for anesthesia, per the FAQ section)?

US allo with good scores should have a good chance, although they may question your dedication to the specialty. Can't think of anything else that would hurt your application, assuming you've done a 4 wk elective and gotten the LORs. Good luck!

did an ICU month with anesthesia residents and attendings (only got a sat pass - like every rotation at this school) and enjoyed it and plan to shadow an anesthesiologist. The attendings were really smart and friendly and the residents were really cool and knew their stuff well to teach me.

it just annoys me how the other specialty is so obsessed about board scores -all the programs I interviewed at this year, including my home program, told me I was ranked lower because of my board scores and even hinted that it will be tough next year to obtain a spot because of the competition. Seems like doing a lot of research and rotations in that field was a waste of time and money. You ask programs about the status of your application or why you were rejected for an interview and every program says it is the board scores.

Are you going into a prelim program come July 05?

CambieMD

no - just graduating and then starting on research right after graduation.

You should try to find a prelim position. You could then apply for an advanced position(CA-1) outside of the match. Finding a prelim position would save you time. After doing research for one year you will still need to complete an internship. I do not think that it is too late to find a pgy-1 position. The match was less than one month ago.

CambieMD