Reality of late interview invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whenever someone posts a thread asking if he or she might still get interview invites even though it's pretty late in the cycle, people reply that invites can go all the way through March or so and to not give up hope. However, wouldn't all those late invites be given to people who applied late? It just doesn't make any sense to me that if I was complete at a school in early August, that school would take eight months to decide whether I should be interviewed or not. It seems much more likely that I have been silently rejected, and all of the February and March interviews were given to those who were complete in October or November. Can anyone with insight into this please share what you think?

Also, for schools that do not randomly review their applications, is it safe to say that the people they give interview invites to right away or early on are those who they really like and prioritize? In this case I don't mean early as in receiving an invite in September vs. March, but more like September vs. November.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

they can only interview so many at a time, so if they "rank" you before the interview, it just might take until later in the season for them to get to you. They usually release in batches so they can wait to see where late applicants fit in their pre-interview rank list. It's not necessarily just a yes/no decision up front, it's a continuum of yes/no that they may or may not get to depending on how the rest of the applicants stack up.

I wouldn't overthink it too much.

Whenever someone posts a thread asking if he or she might still get interview invites even though it's pretty late in the cycle, people reply that invites can go all the way through March or so and to not give up hope. However, wouldn't all those late invites be given to people who applied late? It just doesn't make any sense to me that if I was complete at a school in early August, that school would take eight months to decide whether I should be interviewed or not. It seems much more likely that I have been silently rejected, and all of the February and March interviews were given to those who were complete in October or November. Can anyone with insight into this please share what you think?

Also, for schools that do not randomly review their applications, is it safe to say that the people they give interview invites to right away or early on are those who they really like and prioritize? In this case I don't mean early as in receiving an invite in September vs. March, but more like September vs. November.

Many schools are still giving out interview invites in January to people from August/July even though they're also interviewing people who were complete in Sept/Oct. So if you haven't been rejected yet, there's probably a reason for it (unless the school hasn't rejected ANYONE and is just doing silent rejections).

Members don't see this ad :)
Take this with a grain of salt since I'm currently applying. But I definitely think it isn't too late. I got 3 II's in September and then had several weeks of silence and rejections. Then this past Friday/Monday, I got another 3 II, and they were all for December/January (IMO, not late at all). And at some of the schools, people that were complete after me got II before I did. So I definitely think some schools do legitimately come back to re-review applications and give us a chance.

And it makes sense. If I was an ADCOM, I would probably wanna wait and see who else was out there before deciding on a borderline applicant.

TL;DR- there's still plenty of time, and I do think that ADCOM's at many schools come back and carefully re-evaluate applications to extend more II

You're thinking too much into this. There's plenty of reasons for early applicants to get put on hold and then later receive an II. I was complete at most schools in late July and received II's in Dec, Jan, and March (in addition to Aug, Sep, and Oct). Currently attending the school I was invited to in January.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if it's common for MD/PhD programs to double back to passed over applicants later in the season? From what I see in the MD/PhD forums, most schools seem to never look back after they pass a given complete date.

I applied to my current school around August. I was interviewed in April and accepted immediately in May. You absolutely can not predict how this process will turn out, nor can you make any assumptions insofar as the thought process of an admissions committee. Relax, enjoy your life, and try not to overanalyze your own applications or the actions particular schools take.

Anyone know if it's common for MD/PhD programs to double back to passed over applicants later in the season? From what I see in the MD/PhD forums, most schools seem to never look back after they pass a given complete date.

There's no way to say. Every school does things differently, and not every applicant is on SDN. MD/PhD applicants are much more rare than normal applicants, and you don't see many of them on these forums. Making assumptions about how schools in general handle their applications is impossible.

UAB fills 25-40% of their interview slots after mid-November, pulling from the pile of applicants that were passed over initially. Like tantacles said, though, it will vary from school to school.

EDIT: This is for the MSTP program. I have no idea about the regular MD program.

Sometimes a school will put an application which was complete early on "hold" so that they can see what the rest of the applicant pool looks like before they decide to interview or not. As well, some schools continue to interview until April or whatever despite having already filled their class, in these situations you are actually interviewing for a spot on the waitlist (but you wouldn't know it beforehand).

Conversely, some schools (as @tantacles said) keep seats open until the end of the interview season.

Every school is different.

I applied to my current school around August. I was interviewed in April and accepted immediately in May. You absolutely can not predict how this process will turn out, nor can you make any assumptions insofar as the thought process of an admissions committee. Relax, enjoy your life, and try not to overanalyze your own applications or the actions particular schools take.
You've given me hope, sir.

But even if schools do end up giving you late interview invites, didn't they still pass you up the first time? Because they weren't prepared to offer you an invite until they saw how you compare to other applicants, to me, that just means they don't like you enough and are using you as a last resort in case they don't get the people they really want. I understand that getting interviews late in the cycle is possible, but I still feel that not receiving them in the early months is a sign that you don't have a very good shot at getting in. Thoughts?

Also I apologize for being so negative and pessimistic. I just haven't been getting even close to the response that I want/expected from school and I'm getting pretty depressed about it.

Reactions: 1 user
They can be hesitant about me all they want, offer me an interview in April and acceptance in May? I'll forgive them within minutes. Plus, don't everyone apply to some schools where they'd only go if it's their only acceptance as well?

An acceptance is an acceptance, no matter how uninterested the school might've been initially.

But even if schools do end up giving you late interview invites, didn't they still pass you up the first time? Because they weren't prepared to offer you an invite until they saw how you compare to other applicants, to me, that just means they don't like you enough and are using you as a last resort in case they don't get the people they really want. I understand that getting interviews late in the cycle is possible, but I still feel that not receiving them in the early months is a sign that you don't have a very good shot at getting in. Thoughts?

I feel like you can't read that much into it. I totally get the ego blow, since I expect everyone hopes they'll be actively desired by their choice medical schools, but I imagine a lot of people get in off the second or third "tiers" of interviews. It depends on so many factors - and really, once you get in, what does it matter?

There might be other factors besides the competitiveness of your application that factor in here. I have a solid but weird set of experiences and numbers, and the response has been mixed. I have some suspicions that if you don't fall into a particular "mold" of med school applicant, and the schools you apply to are looking for a certain kind of student, these schools are less sure about what to do with your application. I had a really hard time gauging how competitive I was in the medical school pool, and it seems to be showing in the results that I'm getting.

Or I could be totally wrong. I have exactly zero evidence upon which to base this conjecture. For all I know, med schools tape applications on the wall and throw darts to determine who gets an interview.

You are reading into it a bit too much. The order in which interviews go out may or may not be related to the fitness of your application; there's just no way to tell without speaking to the particular members who reviewed your application. Just because a school says that they review applications linearly does not mean that they don't skip around at all; much of what a school says is more to make applicants feel as if the process is more fair than it actually is. Stop overanalyzing, relax, and don't take it as an ego blow even if you're interviewed on the very last interview day. There may be a reason for it, but the reason is not that you're any worse than any other applicant no matter what your neuroses (I have them too, you know) tell you.

Many applicants get complete early and wind up interviewing late anyway, so it isn't a clear red flag to go a few months without hearing anything. It does clearly mean, though, that the applicant doesn't particularly excite them, so it would be fair to assume you are playing makeup at late-offered interviews and that you should absolutely bring your A-game to have any shot at all.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are somehow still on SDN, what school was this that interviewed so late? Thank you!

1) As I say repeated in these forums, the order of submission is only partially related to the order of evaluation, II and review. Application and candidate evaluations timeline varies widely by school may not done in a linear, chronological order. EDP, High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.
2) This order is also very dynamic. When you submit, your application is screened, assigned some priority for evaluation, a reader gets to it and you may wind up pushed up or down in priority. As new applications are submitted, you may wind up being pushed back and down in priority.
3) A school will have some sort of scoring or classification system at every step. For argument sake, lets say it is out of 100. The first interviews may go to those with 95+, then 90, etc. But if a new application comes in at 95+ eval, it will push the rest down
4) And, momentary rant, there is no such thing as a "silent rejection." Why do I say that? Because everyone, every single applicant starts as "not accepted" (or rejected). Medical schools are deciding on acceptance/alternate alone. Notice I didnt say "acceptance or rejection." You are already unaccepted. First offer of interview and then offer of acceptance. Schools have no obligation to inform you of any other action.

1) No school randomly review application. There are not enough resources or time to do so.
2) As I said above, all schools score or classify every application at every step of the process

1) You are making the assumption that schools have somehow gone thru all 5,000 application or so by now. This cycle, I have had more than one applicant to more than one school get an email that the schools is still evaluating applicants
2) They werent comparing you to other applicants on an individual basis but in the aggregate as in your evaluation score. It wasnt low enough to say "you are no longer under consideration but it wasnt high enough to get an interview yet. You got people ahead of you

You are reading into it a bit too much. The order in which interviews go out may or may not be related to the fitness of your application; there's just no way to tell without speaking to the particular members who reviewed your application. Just because a school says that they review applications linearly does not mean that they don't skip around at all; much of what a school says is more to make applicants feel as if the process is more fair than it actually is. Stop overanalyzing, relax, and don't take it as an ego blow even if you're interviewed on the very last interview day. There may be a reason for it, but the reason is not that you're any worse than any other applicant no matter what your neuroses (I have them too, you know) tell you.
As above. This process is completely fair. The school's mission is to produce MDs for further training and they will find the best candidates to do so. Oh, you mean fair to applicants? Sorry to say that applicants are the raw material for the process of producing MDs. The fairness is you can apply or not. Once you accept that, you are in the system and rules that you accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.