Really interesting, really good, highly recommended summer internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Anyone on the board have a wonderful experience with a particular summer internship.... any kind... Research, legislative, clinical, community, industry, etc. or know any one who did do an awesome intern that you would say is worth looking into?

I'm going to try and take advantage of the holidays by studying and applying for my summer internships... I will just have completed my P1 year! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear the USPHS JRCOSTEP program is a great experience.

I myself am not applying for that program because of paranoia that I'll be needed by them for deployment. If I am honest and put down on my app. that I object to all kinds of military service (even noncombatant), they won't hire me.

Other than that, if I knew them, I'd be applying for them.

The Mayo Clinic takes P1 students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a JrCOSTEP with the Indian Health Services. I tried to get in after my first year--got a call saying I was a second choice and if the first choice didn't take it then I would go. I didn't get it that summer, but they wanted me for the next one. I went, and it was well worth it. Generally you get paid more in a JrCOSTEP (I made $16/hr AFTER taxes were taken out...the most any of my classmates made that summer, that I knew of, was $15/hr BEFORE taxes). I did 13 weeks, and got 8 paid days of vacation. Generally the IHS positions are in more of a clinical position, which is nice because you're not stuck behind a counter playing technician...you actually get to play pharmacist. I learned SO much that summer, and it helped me a lot when I came back for my third year. Each of the residency interviews I went on seemed impressed that I had done a JrCOSTEP. Jrs are different than SrCOSTEPs in that you are only committed for as long as you want...there's no chance you'll get called up to go anywhere else. They will pester you a bit after you've completed it and want you to join up after graduation. Overall, I would recommend it. I blew the retail "internship" I did after my first year out of the water.

I second the Indian Health Services internship. I heard that it was really good experience and good pay. Also, the mayo clinic is also a fantastic hospital pharmacy internship, if you're interested in hospital pharmacy.

Wow, I didn't know the Mayo Clinic had a pharmacy internship. The city of Rochester seems pretty nice and you can survive without a car (my deduction from the Wikipedia article on it).

Better start my application next week. Kinda sucks for P1s that we don't really have long-standing relationships with pharmacy people that could give recommendations.

I'm planning to apply to 2 more (1 already sent in but they don't look at it till Feb.). Hopefully I'll get into 1 of these 3. If not, it won't be too late to start looking for a local hospital internship by the time I get the rejections...Or I could work at CTY again next summer (not a pharmacy internship but nevertheless the best job in the world).

Yea, I was looking into the JRCOSTEP as well, I e-mailed someone and they said that indeed it needs to be after your P2 year.

Yea, I was looking into the JRCOSTEP as well, I e-mailed someone and they said that indeed it needs to be after your P2 year.

Hey Bribri! Thats cool that u go to URI! I did an internship there last summer (07) with Dr. David Rowley... do u know him??

I do not know him personally, I do have a class with him next semester however.

Are these internships as competitive, less competitive, or more competitive than trying the admissions process for pharmacy school?

Other than that, I really don't know if I want to spend all my summer doing work. Touro ends at the end of May, we have to choose a month where we go for our Introductory Practice Experience, and we get August and a month of our choice off.

I am interested in the JrCOSTEP thing, but I don't meet the height/weight requirements. If I was the weight that they say is the maximum weight possible, I'd be frikkin skinny.