Really Low GPA... Any Chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm Screwed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Senior Psychology major at the University of Houston, and I currently have a 2.35 GPA (due to family problems during school). I want to go to podiatry or pharmacy school, but I know that it is going to be hard. I am trying to get my grades up, but realistically it can only go up so far. What are my chances of getting in anywhere? And how can I improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm Screwed said:
I am a Senior Psychology major at the University of Houston, and I currently have a 2.35 GPA (due to family problems during school). I want to go to podiatry or pharmacy school, but I know that it is going to be hard. I am trying to get my grades up, but realistically it can only go up so far. What are my chances of getting in anywhere? And how can I improve my chances?

Did you take the MCAT?
What is your science GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
The entering class this year at DMU had an average GPA of 3.4. But hey, if you aced the MCAT and you could explain your GPA, who knows? Hang in there.

My Current Science GPA is a 2.93 that is just Chem 1&2, Bio 1&2. I got B's in Calculus and Finite math. What schools do you think I'll have a better chance of getting into? Or should I give up ?

Have not yet taken the MCAT, I plan to take it after graduation, so that I can focus on it 100% to make the best grade.

You are fine, just do the best you can possibly do on your remaining classes and go ahead and apply everywhere that interests you - you have nothing to lose. I know many people...myself included...that have low GPA for one reason or the next, and still get in to all pod schools. If you are serious about the profession and can prove that you are motivated to do the work while in pod school - and you interview well - then you will be fine. I have a very low GPA as I was much more concerned with my athletics in college - but I stepped it up when I decided to take the pre-reqs for pod school. This doesnt mean that I have all A's in these classes, but it is obvious to the schools that I am taking them seriously.

Also, you dont have to take the MCAT, you can the GRE for almost every school. I have not even taken the GRE or the MCAT and I have been accepted to Scholl, AZPOD, and California. just stick with it and make sure you are committed and enthusiastic about the profession before you apply - and you will be fine.

I'm Screwed said:
Have not yet taken the MCAT, I plan to take it after graduation, so that I can focus on it 100% to make the best grade.

Yeah, just apply now and see what happens. I know scholl says they prefer the MCAT, however I know a person who got accepted there the other day with just GRE scores. Also, I agree with runnersfeet, if you show them that you are really motivated to do this they may make considerations in your GPA.

I have a 3.8GPA, but a low MCAT of 19L & 20L and still got accepted to Scholl with a 50% tuition scholarship.

randersen said:
I agree, your science GPA is most important and you can offset things with your MCAT

Here's one more agreement on the science GPA, but your GPA trend is also very important. If your bad grades were early on and you have been improving lately, then that's a good sign. If your recent grades have been falling, then you might have some kind of problem. In any case, a good MCAT score would negate any GPA problems. It would show that you truly can perform at the level that you need to in order to graduate from pod school.

I agree that its important if you want to think about getting any money - but otherwise, I dont think it matters - so long as you explain why your grades are low and that you are genuinely interested in the profession. I love the profession and I think the school's are wonderful...and I have worked hard in my recent pre-reqs to ensure that I was interested and that I would get an acceptance - but lets be honest, has anyone yet been turned down? Does anyone know of anyone not accepted somewhere? I dont think they have enough applicants to turn people down..even if their GPA is REALLY low with either no or low GRE/MCAT scores. If someone knows of anyone who was denied, then maybe im wrong - but it seems like if you have a good interview and are committed to the profession...the schools will take your money. I think this will change as more are made aware of the profession and become interested - but for now, you can get in if you really want to be a podiatrist.

scpod said:
Here's one more agreement on the science GPA, but your GPA trend is also very important. If your bad grades were early on and you have been improving lately, then that's a good sign. If your recent grades have been falling, then you might have some kind of problem. In any case, a good MCAT score would negate any GPA problems. It would show that you truly can perform at the level that you need to in order to graduate from pod school.

runnersfeet said:
but lets be honest, has anyone yet been turned down? Does anyone know of anyone not accepted somewhere? I dont think they have enough applicants to turn people down

I know of quite a few people who were turned down during the last cycle because the class was already full. No, not all schools will just keep taking applicants just because they need the money. Some, though, I suspect will-- especially the ones for whom podiatry school is their only real income. The true story, I believe, is that most of the unsavory lot are weeded out before interview time. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone who fills out an application gets an interview. However, most of those who are offered interviews are probably likely to be accepted unless they totally blow the interview. Even then, they might get accepted later. However, in the last couple of years, there are quite a few people who just waited too late and the classes were full.

Good news. I hope more and more continue to get turned down for interviews and acceptance into school, for whatever reason. As this happens, pod schools will become more competitive and the profession will in turn become more desired/reputable/respected.

scpod said:
I know of quite a few people who were turned down during the last cycle because the class was already full. No, not all schools will just keep taking applicants just because they need the money. Some, though, I suspect will-- especially the ones for whom podiatry school is their only real income. The true story, I believe, is that most of the unsavory lot are weeded out before interview time. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone who fills out an application gets an interview. However, most of those who are offered interviews are probably likely to be accepted unless they totally blow the interview. Even then, they might get accepted later. However, in the last couple of years, there are quite a few people who just waited too late and the classes were full.

I'm Screwed said:

You should be able to get into chiro school with those grades, but I don't think podiatry or pharmacy school will admit you with a 2.4. Why pharmacy or podiatry? What else would you want to do?

ProZackMI said:
You should be able to get into chiro school with those grades, but I don't think podiatry or pharmacy school will admit you with a 2.4. Why pharmacy or podiatry? What else would you want to do?

I have always wanted to go to pharmacy or podiatry school. I have heard VERY bad things about the chiropractic profession and how it is not respected and is considered disreputable.

I'm Screwed said:
I have always wanted to go to pharmacy or podiatry school. I have heard VERY bad things about the chiropractic profession and how it is not respected and is considered disreputable.

Hang in there... If you want it then work, and get it. Podiatry is an incredible profession and vastly different than Pharm. Do you want to be a doctor? or, do you want to be a pharmacist?

As far as chiropractors are concerned. It is a very valid profession. Like any medical specialty, good and bad chiros exist. my brother-in-law is a very successful chiro. He works closely with an orthopod and a podiatric surgeon (me).

Decide, give it aall you have for the remainder of your education and achieve your goals. I wish you luck. If you want to see what a Podiatrist does, give me a call and you can visit anytime.

Footfxr said:
Hang in there... If you want it then work, and get it. Podiatry is an incredible profession and vastly different than Pharm. Do you want to be a doctor? or, do you want to be a pharmacist?

As far as chiropractors are concerned. It is a very valid profession. Like any medical specialty, good and bad chiros exist. my brother-in-law is a very successful chiro. He works closely with an orthopod and a podiatric surgeon (me).

Decide, give it aall you have for the remainder of your education and achieve your goals. I wish you luck. If you want to see what a Podiatrist does, give me a call and you can visit anytime.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement ... I would love to shadow, but I'm in TX so it wouldn't be very realistic. I wonder why they don't have a chiro forum on this site?

I'm Screwed said:
Thanks for the advice and encouragement ... I would love to shadow, but I'm in TX so it wouldn't be very realistic.

There are podiatrists in TX that you can shadow. AACPM has a mentor program. Once you've filled out the form on the website, they'll help you get in touch with someone. It worked for me.

Well, here is my honest opininion, If you don't want to work hard and be competent, hit the road.

Having said that, if I were you, I'd next demonstrate that you are serious about this and willing to make the sacrifices required.

Contact the admin offices of where you want to attend and let them know of your very serious intentions.

Plus, I wouldn't expect immediate gratification. I mean don't expect that a few, "well, I made a few mistakes, but i've changed, so let me in..."

Instead, show how you have changed and that will mean a ton.

Good luck and work hard!

Well I would tell you to apply to podiatry...pharmacy is a lot more competitive...3.5 and up...NYCPM accepts like everyone...I never heard anyone getting rejected...so that would be an option...Good luck!