Reapplicant Admit Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We all know people who got in on the second (or third) try. It doesn't happen magically and it doesn't always happen in the next cycle. Those who are really serious about getting into medical school make a serious assessment of their weaknesses, the aspects of the application that were sub-optimal, and make a plan to address the weakness and improve the aspects of the application that can be improved (earlier submission, better targeting of application to schools). Not every reapplicant is successful in gaining admission but for some it is well worth a second attempt.

What percentage of applicants apply for three cycles? I don't know but I can assure you the number is very small.

Members don't see this ad.

What percentage of applicants apply for three cycles? I don't know but I can assure you the number is very small.

This is what I wrote about this on May 9th:

- 31,749 applicants did not matriculate last year for all different reasons, almost 60%!
- 32% due to low MCAT scores, 18% low GPA and the rest for other reasons.
- Over 50% of non Matriculants did not apply next cycle or the next!

- 31,749 applicants did not matriculate last year for all different reasons, almost 60%!

I know, it's pretty tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
do reapplicants have lower chances second time around due to the stigma associated or because they are simply not competitive? that is, if adcom sees two very similar apps and one is reapp and the other is not, would they simply take the first timer?

Despite possible small dose of innate bias.., the bar is higher for applicants the second time around, in terms:
“ Show us what you got different this time..?!”

The applicant should recognize this early and address these deficiencies in cognizant manner otherwise she/he will not bring anything new to the table the next time.., especially when we draw the comparison with the old app on file and the notes of evaluators!!

Obviously I am excluding out of this huge range of re-applicants: the very qualified late applicants/waitlisted..
all the way to the non qualified weak applicants..!

How many of those 50% who did not apply in the next 2 cycles matriculated at a DO school or Caribbean ? If they matriculated at either they would no longer have any reason to be in the applicant pool.

Reactions: 1 user
How many of those 50% who did not apply in the next 2 cycles matriculated at a DO school or Caribbean ? If they matriculated at either they would no longer have any reason to be in the applicant pool.

It’s unclear for MD applicants data without further reports from AAMC..!!
So how about the complicated picture of DO and offshore Matriculants..??

Let's make some assumptions.
1) 43% of applicants get in on the first try.
2) 43% of unsuccessful applicants get in on the second try
3) 43% of previously unsuccessful applicants get in on the third try
4) All applicants make 2nd and 3rd attempts if previously unsuccessful.

At the end of 3 attempts per applicant, we'd have 22% of the original pool with no admission. You can play with those assumptions. If some people do not make a 2nd or 3rd attempt, then the proportion who eventually get in will be lower. If the pool of repeat applicants are more likely to be successful than the pool of first time applicants, then the proportion of never successful will be lower.

You can play around with the numbers and assumptions yourself. I'm not sure if anyone has ever looked at the data. AAMC certainly has it.
That's actually a really high acceptance rate. 78 are pretty high odds.

I wish all applicants who didn't get accepted during round 1 tried a second time

Without knowing all numbers, common sense suggests that reapplicants acceptance rate has to be lower than first time applicants, otherwise it defeats the purpose of gap year to become a first time applicant.