reapplicant applying to the same school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robocop1998

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey so i am a reapplicant applying to med school this cycle. last cycle, I received a couple interview invites from top ten schools, and ended up getting waitlisted. However, I got straight up rejections from all the lower ranked schools. I am thinking of applying to those two schools that I received interview invite from again. Since I interviewed with them last year and got waitlisted, will they frown upon my application? I absolute fell in love with those schools that I interviewed at and I am hoping that I will get a second chance to show them what I got this cycle. Thanks for any inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you do an exit interview with those schools? Just make sure that you do everything they told you to do and I can't imagine they would ding your application for being a reapplicant. (especially since they gave you a waitlist last cycle)

hey so i am a reapplicant applying to med school this cycle. last cycle, I received a couple interview invites from top ten schools, and ended up getting waitlisted. However, I got straight up rejections from all the lower ranked schools. I am thinking of applying to those two schools that I received interview invite from again. Since I interviewed with them last year and got waitlisted, will they frown upon my application? I absolute fell in love with those schools that I interviewed at and I am hoping that I will get a second chance to show them what I got this cycle. Thanks for any inputs!

I know someone who got rejected twice by the same school before being accepted the third time. She had a lot of perseverance and is an MD now.

By the way, you may want to record your rehearsed interview responses to see how you could improve before going on another round of interviews. You're most likely academically qualified but your interviewing skills might have been lacking.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are common deal breakers at the interviews.

1) Too introverted and quiet (probably the most common one)
2) Too stressed out and looks like a nervous wreck
3) Cannot answer the question "so why do you want to be a doctor?" with any sort of conviction
4) Cannot answer the question "so why did you choose this school?" persuasively
5) Too slovenly in appearance or disorganized in thought and speech
6) Says "you know" or "um's" too many times
7) Is prejudiced against certain people
8) Is a political or religious extremist

I re-interviewed at places. I don't think they look unfavorably upon you, but you need to make sure you can prove that there's been a substantial improvement in your file since last year.

Med schools will certainly pull up your old application. Hopefully you've improved or done something of merit in your off time to make you a better candidate.