reapplicant, engineer, high mcat, low gpa, ivy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousteen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also a (former) engineer from an ivy-reputation school, and applied this past cycle with a lower overall GPA (3.3 overall, 3.9 BCPM) and slightly higher MCAT. Similar extracurricular/medical experiences. My list was similar to yours, plus all the UCs thrown in (CA resident), minus the NY schools (where I'm assuming you're a resident). I ended up with five interviews (one from a 'reach' school), went to four, was accepted to three.

So from my experiences, I'd say you have a good list. :) If you're not from NY, also apply to your home state school(s). Your MCAT and research improvement from this cycle will also be a big plus, be sure to highlight that in your essays. Just make sure you nail the interviews you're likely to get!

If you're applying to highly-selective research powerhouses, I hope you have fairly substantive research beyond the "some research" you described. But otherwise your list looks good and applying early with your new, splendid (!) MCAT score gives you a great chance at an acceptance this time.

If you're applying to highly-selective research powerhouses, I hope you have fairly substantive research beyond the "some research" you described. But otherwise your list looks good and applying early with your new, splendid (!) MCAT score gives you a great chance at an acceptance this time.

I totally agree with this. Your MCAT is ballin, BTW. Good luck.

Your list looks good. You might also want to add VCU; I've heard very good things about the school, and it's less competitive stats-wise than UVA.

I don't know if you want to consider the Midwest, but there are lots of good schools there which take OOS students, including Cinci, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, etc.

my brother says that applying to 25+ is not necessary. he thinks 20 is enough.

so i cut my list down to 20. what do you guys think of this list? my main concern is getting into a school rather than going to a top school.

harder schools:
Tufts
Cornell
Columbia
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Case Western
Einstein

easier schools:
Boston
U of Rochester
Penn State
Georgetown
GWU
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Wake Forest
Albany
NYMC
Temple
Virginia Commonwealth
U of Vermont

BU and Georgeown aren't "easier." In fact, BU has one of the lowest admission rates of any medical school in the country as they get tons of applications. Your new list is a lot better though but that GPA is going to be what holds you back from the big leagues. Also, the "some research" is really quite vague.