Reapplicant less competitive after transitional year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinyhandsbob

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say I apply in the Match with Psych as my only choice except for a Transitional year safety net rank at the bottom. And let's say I don't match into Psych and only in the transitional year. If my heart is set on Psych and I reapply again for after the transitional year, am I at a significant disadvantage compared to senior applicants applying for PGY-1 spots? I assume so (and the match percentages for non-senior applicants appear to be lower) but wanted someone to confirm.

Members don't see this ad.

My schools metrics has transitional year residents reentering the match at 50% down from 90%. We were told it's a very poor plan.

My schools metrics has transitional year residents reentering the match at 50% down from 90%. We were told it's a very poor plan.
That's what I thought. I wonder if it's the same for any sort of bridge year-i.e. if you didn't match into your specialty as a senior and the specialty does not have a formal preliminary year, your chances of matching into it go way down.unless they have pgy 2 programs maybe.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I thought. I wonder if it's the same for any sort of bridge year-i.e. if you didn't match into your specialty as a senior and the specialty does not have a formal preliminary year, your chances of matching into it go way down.unless they have pgy 2 programs maybe.
Your chances of matching go down with any sort of prelim year. Something like 20% of prelim surgery residents end up getting a categorical spot

What exactly are you hoping to do? TY and reapply psych if you don't get in? It just seems very risky so far as backups go.

If you don't match the first time around, it's not the TY or prelim year that's the problem the second match. It's the same thing as the first match. Although it's not easy to interview from a prelim/TY -- you have a job, you can't just miss days for interviews, so that's a problem also.

What exactly are you hoping to do? TY and reapply psych if you don't get in? It just seems very risky so far as backups go.
That would be the only option I guess if one was set on Psych or any other specialty, but as everyone confirmed it gets harder percentage wise (for whatever reason) if you don't match the first time around. Guess the other option could be trying to match into something less competitive.

Your chances of matching go down with any sort of prelim year. Something like 20% of prelim surgery residents end up getting a categorical spot
If you do a prelim year in surgery at your home program, are you certaint to match there, or at least have a very good chance of matching there?

If you do a prelim year in surgery at your home program, are you certaint to match there, or at least have a very good chance of matching there?
Not really. Some places have a better track record of giving their prelims a better chance than others. Some places won’t take their own prelims at all on principle.

And remember there are usually more than one prelim in a program, so you are competing with your fellow co-interns just for the opportunity of staying/matching at that program.

People do find spots after prelims, it does happen, but it’s a very rough situation to be in.